Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2011, 04:32 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
A class or 5er

If you've migrated from 5er to Motorhome, I would appreciate your insights. We just sold a terrific fifth wheel that took care of us for over 190,000 km. I thought that I was intent on moving up to a Class A and so too my DW. Before making the leap, I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has upscaled and get your thoughts about the pluses and the minuses. Of course anyone who has downscaled from Class A to 5er and has good reasons for such a move, I'd like to hear from you too. Thank you muchly.
Durabil

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Both have their pros and cons.

With a 5er, you only have the one drive train (truck) to maintain. With a motorhome, you have an additional drive train and if it breaks, your whole hose goes to the shop.

My opinion, a 5er is better for full time use. With the motorhome you have a big heat gain loss with the big windshield and front cap.

A motorhome is more expensive to maintain and repair on the chassis than a DRW diesel truck.

If you are moving often, a motorhome is more convenient, but you will need to two an car to get around town.

But is ultimately boils down to your choice and life style.

Ken

Old 12-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
The differences between the two are significant and many. I do not see how you could make a good comparison without trying a Class A. Beg, borrow, or rent a Class A in the range you are looking at and have a go at it. I think that will tell you more than all of the great advice you will get here on this forum. IMHO.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
with a 5'er you're already towing something. And the tow vehicle isnt the best for commuter travel versus a small toad used with a class A.
You didnt say what kinda budget youre shopping with... which can give more direction.
For $150k you can score a 2-4 yr old used premium diesel rig with 3 or 4 slides and a nice toad.
For a $100k you can find an older (4-10yrs) home/toad without much effort. Quality will vary widely but power and drive manners would be nicer than a pickup.
For $50k... youll be in the 10+ yr old market. The less you spend of the $50k the better... since youll need a few bucks for repairs/tires/etc.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:55 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We changed from a 5th wheel to a class A about 15 months ago. I think it depends on what you will be doing more, traveling or staying in one location. We make shorter trips, weekends, a couple of long weekends and a week or two during the summer.

We have used our motor home for long (mileage) trips a few times. We have noted that we would not have really liked the trips as much riding in a truck (tow vehicle) versus riding in a motor home. However, with a motor home you need a toad for side trips, etc. For the way we RV a motor home seems to better fit us, probably more expensive in maintenance than a 5th wheel, but better.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #6

we have gone both ways from a 5th wh to a class a and now back to a 5th wheel, there are pros and cons for both, but the 5th wh is a whole lot less worry and up keep and more roomy, size for size. there is always some maintenance that needs doing on a mh, insurance on mh is much higher as are tag fees in our area.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:00 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think it totally depends on your lifestyle. Our kids live in a 5th wheel. They are sitting in the same location for months at a time. Great choice. Their 5th wheel opens up into a home much better than any Class A ever could.

When we hit the road, every night is a different stop. The Class A DP is perfect for us. If we stay a week in one spot, then we put down the leveling jacks, unhook the toad and use it for daily commutes.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:13 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by faye View Post
we have gone both ways from a 5th wh to a class a and now back to a 5th wheel, there are pros and cons for both, but the 5th wh is a whole lot less worry and up keep and more roomy, size for size. there is always some maintenance that needs doing on a mh, insurance on mh is much higher as are tag fees in our area.
When I bought my pick-up I was shocked to find that the tag would cost me double what the motorhome tag is. That reminds me, I have to go buy a new tag for the truck tomorrow. That's a Merry Christmas from the state.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:50 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes some states are particularly "unfriendly" to certain RVs, so it is a good idea to cehck reregistration and taxes on both rro you home base. In Texas, the license fees are not too bad, and they are not taxed as property.

Ken
Old 12-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The major difference that immediately come to mind is the passengers can get up and go to the rest room while underway.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have had both and for us the motorhome fits us better, when traveling I know whats going on inside, no surprises when I open the door. Six tires to worry about instead of ten [no toad]. To maintain my dually was costly. But as others have said, it depends on you and your needs. I like the idea when traveling of getting a drink or something to eat, by simply walking to the fridg and getting it, not pulling in and walking back to the fiver. But I owned several motorhomes before purchasing a fifth wheel, so I guess I never really liked it as much as the motorhomes. It all depends on your RVing style and what you really like or want. My sister wouldn't own a motorhome, they loved their fiver. Good luck on your choice. If I were you I'd rent or borrow a class A first then think long and hard on you choice. Hopefully you'll be happy. Again, Good Luck and Happy travels.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:30 PM   #12

If you have a 5er when you go sightseeing you are putting miles on your $40,000 + tow vehicle that does not get the best mileage and you will be replacing it sooner. You have more storage in a MH. You can also wright your taxes off on the MH where as a 5er and a truck you can only use the 5er not the truck. We went from a TC to a MH and these were some of the factors we used. What ever works best for you good luck.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
The major difference that immediately come to mind is the passengers can get up and go to the rest room while underway.
I have to agree! We do not full time, but we went from a TT to a old class A and there was no Doubt that the class A is better in my opinion. Passnegers can use the bathroom, watch a movie, grab a snack, play games etc., etc. while going down the road. With the TT we always had to stop and pull over. Setup is much faster too. We pull in and level with the hydraulic levelers, no more scissor jacks. You have a higher aim of site compared to a pick-up. It seems that I see the scenery a little better from the driver seat and the passengers have much more comfortable seating option to choose from.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #14

We switched from a 5er to a Class A dp last june and are really pleasaed with our decision. We had thought that we would lose too much living space based on most of the Class A coaches we had seen but we got one with 4 slide and it is great with just as much roominess as we had in our 5th Wheel. I actually find it easier to drive, easier to set up at campgrounds and overall more comfortable and enjoyable. I think if we had switched from our spacius 5th wheel to a smaller Class A we would have missed the space but we actually had no decreae in space. As othes have said though this is very much a personal decisin based on your own prefeences.

bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote