Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-26-2015, 05:08 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Hopewell,IL
Posts: 24
A class to C class rear axle ratios

I have a 1991 28 ft Ford C class with a 460 and a 4.10 rear gear. I'm wanting to upgrade to an A class of about 32 ft with a slide out and a larger bathroom with a real shower instead of a phone booth. I still see 460 engines in a rig this size. I feel I'm under powered now on steep grades. Can these engines still pull something of this size along with a car trailer of 5000 lbs in tow? If so, what's different about the powertrain? Should I look for a V10 instead? It doesn't appear that that is much better due to its higher torque rpm needed. Mine hits its max torque at 67 mph but still struggles on hills. Give me some input. Thanks.
__________________

__________________
opnroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 06:27 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by opnroad View Post
I have a 1991 28 ft Ford C class with a 460 and a 4.10 rear gear. I'm wanting to upgrade to an A class of about 32 ft with a slide out and a larger bathroom with a real shower instead of a phone booth. I still see 460 engines in a rig this size. I feel I'm under powered now on steep grades. Can these engines still pull something of this size along with a car trailer of 5000 lbs in tow? If so, what's different about the powertrain? Should I look for a V10 instead? It doesn't appear that that is much better due to its higher torque rpm needed. Mine hits its max torque at 67 mph but still struggles on hills. Give me some input. Thanks.
I'd stay away from the 460 because of the manifolds...

also if you go to a 2006... you will get 362 hp and 5 speed
__________________

__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:16 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
jergeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
I'd stay away from the 460 because of the manifolds...

also if you go to a 2006... you will get 362 hp and 5 speed
That might not be true, they changed over sometime in 06 but not all got the 362hp and trans mine doesn't and it is and 06.
__________________
George & Jerri
06 GT 340TSSE
USMC VET.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:54 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Hopewell,IL
Posts: 24
Do you know the rear axle ratio of your motorhome. Looks like you pull behind yours. How well does it do the job?
__________________
opnroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:38 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
 
Gary RVRoamer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Silver Springs, FL. USA
Posts: 18,078
With a gas engine in a Class A, the axle ratio is typically above 5, e.g. 5.33. The 460 needs more forward gears to do a good job in an A but they all come with the 4-speed E4OD tranny. That's ok as long as it is 3rd or OD, but once it is forced down to 2nd the top speed drops to around 30-35 with that high ratio axle. Makes for very slow hill climbing where the "hill" is anything above 2-3% grade.

The V10 can rev higher, which helps, but the big improvement is that most of them get either the 4R100 4 speed or the later 5-speed. I would strongly recommend getting the later year with the 5-speed.

If you want to stay with the older 460, I suggest installing the Gear Vendors Under/Over Drive to get more gears. Pricey, but it solves the problem.
__________________
Gary Brinck
Former owner of 2004 American Tradition
Home is in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:22 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Hopewell,IL
Posts: 24
A 4R100 and E4OD have the same internal gear ratios. Just just come down to engine difference at that point (V10 vs 460)? I see the gear vendor site. Any personal experience with that upgrade?
__________________
opnroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:20 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by opnroad View Post
A 4R100 and E4OD have the same internal gear ratios. Just just come down to engine difference at that point (V10 vs 460)? I see the gear vendor site. Any personal experience with that upgrade?
I did the gear vendor on a 2012 v10..
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:21 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
That might not be true, they changed over sometime in 06 but not all got the 362hp and trans mine doesn't and it is and 06.
you probley have an o5 chassis,,, so to be safe get an 07...not gonna cost much if any more and way way better
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:38 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,282
one other thing to answer the op org. question... the 16k and 18k come with 430 gears
__________________
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:20 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
jergeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by opnroad View Post
Do you know the rear axle ratio of your motorhome. Looks like you pull behind yours. How well does it do the job?
The gears in mine are 538 and it has no problem toting my 14 jeep cherokee around on the dolly. The motorhome is and 06 but the chassis is an 04 22000lb, When motoring down the highway the v10 does a great job, being 68 and retired I am in no rush to get anywhere but when you want to the thing will run down the highway with anybody else, I have had no problem climbing hills as others have stated, seems to hold 55 going up with no problem in towhaul mode and going down in this mode holds back pretty well. If I were buying there would be no question V10.
__________________

__________________
George & Jerri
06 GT 340TSSE
USMC VET.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thor Class A rear view mirror adjustment byebye Thor Industries Owner's Forum 10 03-04-2015 10:51 AM
Journey 40U rear axle capacity D Lindy Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 33 11-20-2014 09:05 AM
Adding Weight to Front Axle - Short Wheel Base DP navigator336 Class A Motorhome Discussions 1 08-29-2014 04:33 PM
Axle problems smatth Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion 6 06-22-2014 08:58 AM
Class C Diesel Motorhomes, New 35SK Super C RV Unveiled by Thor Motor Coach DriVer RV Industry Press 1 09-05-2013 01:20 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.