Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-27-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
a close call on 81

carlisle, pa. is a major trucking center on rt. 81. jammed packed with 18 wheelers day and night. this afternoon i was about 10 miles south hugging
the right lane as a entire fleet of trucks zoomed down the passing lane. as the back of one pulled even with the front of the coach i sort of noticed out of the corner of my eye a rear tire tread coming off. so...this big chunk flies into the center strip - the trucker notices and immediately pulls into my lane - then POW the entire tire goes off about 100 feet in front of me. breaks into 50 chunks and lets go a dust cloud that hides the rear of the rig. SO...i got 50 pieces of tire tread coming at me covering the entire lane and am certain damage will be done. figured the best course is to hang on, keep the rig straight, and hope for the best. and the best found us.......heard only one piece hit the front and chatter under the frame.
now if someone could please give me a hint on how to get a rubber mark off the front of a coach that is protected with diamond shield i would be in your debt. tried the strongest cleaner i felt comfortable with and no results.
hop[e this never happens to you!

bandmbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
I found this How to Remove a Rubber Mark From Auto Body Paint | eHow.com. Hope it helps. Glad you were not injured.

Bob Russo
Formerly had 07 Neptune 36PDQ, ISB 325, Allison 2500, Source Trailing Arms and Ride Enhancement Kit, Demco KarKaddy 460SS.
Currently no Motorhome
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
You might try rubbing lightly with some mineral spirits, diesel fuel, or kerosene too.
'11 GMC Acadia SLT AWD
'11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab
Hitchhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Leave it! Call it a battle scar and a conversation starter.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
Freightliner Owners Club
I new my DW was a 'keeper' when we were driving on I-70 this past spring. She suddenly says "I don't like the looks of that tire on that rig in front of us." Being an obedient husband, I pull over to the passing lane and drop back some. Seconds later, wouldn't you know it but that tire blows and rubber flies all over the now vacant lane behind the truck but I was back far enough to avoid any problems. Any copilot that can anticipate a blow out is definitely worth bringing along!

But agree that Carlisle, PA is a truck nightmare. That exit has a Flying J, Pilot plus a few other truck stops. It is also the link between I81 and the PA Turnpike. It is packed 24/7.
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:16 AM   #6

i like wayne's idea...was thinking in that direction.
bandmbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:35 AM   #7
When we went thru just 3 weeks ago the turnpike was closed from Breezewood 60 miles further east due to a wreck/death in one of the tunnels - so people were bailing off. Talk about a truck traffic disaster. Glad to hear you survived the road gators.
94-Newmar Kountry Star 40-KSDP
Spartan/Cummins 8.3C-300HP/Allison 3060 WTEC-II/25yr RV Tech RVIA Certified/Onan-Cummins Certified
94-Newmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:11 AM   #8
You might try rubbing the mark with WD-40, I know it works well on road tar. What did you use to remove the marks from your Fruit of the Loom's?
Scooter Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:12 AM   #9
I've seen only two incidents like this but was never close enough to be involved. One was on a 3 lane interstate and I was in outside left lane and semi was in the inside right lane when a tire blew; the other time was on a 4 lane with medium and a semi going the other way blew a tire. If one sees a semi tire go..one can imagine all sorts of potential bad things happening.
Perhaps someone can tell me what happens for a semi to suddenly lock the trailer brakes? I suspect an air hose blows?? That happend right in front of me to a rig..low boy trailer with a small lift truck on it..like it had a load of something that was offloaded by the lift truck and was returning from with just the lift truck. I was in my car...was approaching in the same lane with intent to pull out and pass and in retrospect was too close..when the trailer brakes locked...great deal of smoke and screeching..the driver began pulling over to the berm and the trailer looked to be skating. Scared the bejeebees out of me..even though I was able to avoid a wreck.
I've seen similar skid marks on highways and didn't know what the scenario was..now I do but still don't know for sure why.
Kountry87Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:31 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Close call. You must be livin' right.

Had a semi tire blow out, on the freeway, just as it was passing me. About 1/2 the tire flew just over the windshield of the car I was driving, never touched me, but it sounded like a cannon had just been fired, right next to my ear, and then to see the 'scrapnel' flying at me, with no where to go...
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:39 PM   #11
Fleetwood Owners Club
And I thought his question would be. How to get a brown spot off his drivers seat?
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:46 AM   #12
I had an even scarier "near accident" driving my car on I-5 at night. About a mile ahead, I saw some weird-looking orange lights that flickered for a few seconds and then went out.

A few seconds later, my headlights picked out a semi-trailer in the right lane, no lights on it and no truck on the front. I stopped, put my flashers on and got some flares lit. Just as I was getting the cell phone out, a trooper pulled up. He told me that a double rig had dropped its second trailer and the driver had pulled over and reported it. The orange flickering lights I saw were caused by the trailer's landing gear pads grinding away on the pavement. When the rig separated, all the trailer's lights went out, since they were powered by the truck's batteries.

It's a good job the freeway was quiet at that early morning hour.
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #13
American Coach Owners Club
Anytime you're near a 18 wheeler and you hear that whop,whop,whop coming from a tire, you should either backoff quickly or get around it. That's the sound of a recap getting ready to come unglued...not a good thing. Bob
Jan and Bob

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:55 PM   #14
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had the same thing happen to me. I was in the passing lane about two truck lengths back and overtaking the truck. I was in my pickup truck at the time.
Holy Moly,there's nothing you can do as stuff is flying everywhere. I was lucky and no damage was done to my vehicle.
It sure makes a loud noise too.
My policy since then is to pass trucks at a pretty good clip. If one comes up beside me and sits there I slow down and let them go ahead.
Kinda like being next to a time bomb.

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote