Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
A cry for advice a long way from home!

I see there is some active discussion about Eternabond. I hope someone can help. I am working in Italy at the American Naval Air Base at Sigonella. I recently purchased a class A motor home from Germany. It's called a Frankia. It's a very nice diesel puller but it's a 2006 and it has a few issues. The most nagging and potentially costly is a roof leak where the skylight frame meets the roof. Parts and supplies are extremely hard to find here in Southern Italy and the closest dealer is 600 miles north of me so I'm relying on some of you kind folks to steer me in the right direction! Can you feel the pressure yet I've removed the sky light and frame twice now. I've scraped off the old putty it was originally installed with. Then I used a silicone sealant (big mistake!). It still leaked, so I pulled it out again and I used a self leveling sealer. Another big mistake! Well, it still leaks worse than ever, so I've ordered the white RV Eternabond 4" X 50' tape. The roof is painted metal and the skylight flange is plastic with compression screws that tighten to an internal frame. Do you think if I clean the plastic external flange well (again) and use several layers of the Eternabond tape around the opening that I will have success with this tape? Any suggestions are really appreciated. Just a note here. My new Smart car trailer just arrived and is clearing customs. All of my Italian workers tell me that towing a car behind my motor home is soooo American! Life is fun....without leaks!

EricB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
I have found that if you follow the directions carefully you will have no problem. I didn't use Eternabond tape, but used a simular product to reseal my joints on my MH. Clean the surface and use a wire brush to scrap off the excess. Attach the skylight and then the tape and you should be fine. Make sure the surface is clean and dry. I'm sure others who have used this product will provide better help, I'm just letting you know that if you follow the directions you will be fine and it shouldn't leak again.

Good Luck

2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
1997 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Eternabond is the best. You will need only one layer of tape unless the tape you ordered is not wide enough to cover the space. The stuff is great and is the only way to go. Also, make sure there are no seems where the water could be traveling from. Eternabond is also great for seam sealing. I have used Eternabond to repair poorly installed roofs and to permantly seal seams rather than use caulking. Once it's down it down for good, so make sure you lay it down smoothly. Good luck and enjoy Italy.
NOTE; I am not responsible for typos, poor grammer or misspelled word !
04 Itasca, Meridian 34H, 330 Cat/2003 CR V Toad
1933 Ford 3 Window,as seen in Bye Bye Birdie
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #4
I used Eternabond on a sky light of an older MH we use to have, it worked great. Clean and dry surface is the answer. I also used a wood roller to go over the install once applied. I don't know the width of the area you are doing but I would think one pass on the straight areas and some over lapping on the corners would do the trick.
John and Judy
05 Beaver Santiam
USAF - Retired - Division Chief/Fire Marshal - Retired
jgard489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
The tape will work....I want to hear more about you in Southern Italy in a class A. How are the roads?
Voyager35L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
Sorry can't help on your sealing problem...but...I would like to see the style of coaches they produce there..post pics please. Thanks.
2014 King Aire 4593
24' Stacker w/toys = 75' of fun
bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our shop usually fixed leaks the first time. The few times we had returns. it was almost always because the water was coming through at one point, but coming in at another. When you remove the skylight, Get a flashlight and carefully check the water stain to see if it comes from another direction. A nearby vent or maybe seam.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Had the same problem with my skylight. Eternabond will definitely do the job! A bit tricky making the corners with multiple pieces, but you'll figure it out.
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 29R
hoppers4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
Newmar Owners Club
Hi EricB,
Welcome to iRV2. I have used EternaBond since is has been available. My only advice is be careful when you apply it. You get one chance. This is a contact glue. When it touches the mating surface it will stick.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:37 PM   #10
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two comments.. If that caulk you tried the 2nd time (non-silicon) is like Dicor (The company that makes the roofs) it should have sealed, at a seam between a roof and a sky light that would be my first choice. However Eternabond.. That is a good product and should work, perhaps better.

The second comment is from my time as a roofer

Sometimes.... The leak is some distance from the drip. Example.. It might be a tank vent that is leaking, the water follows a rafter or someting, and drips down at the skylight... Roof leaks are like that.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:38 PM   #11
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Since your roof is metal First you need to use butyl tape between the bottom edges of the sky light and the roof material, the Etrnabond goes on top of the screws and seals the edges of the skylight after you have installed it.

First place you should look for a strip of 3/4 inch double sticky sided tape is your local DPW (dept of public works) many of the military buildings windows and doors use the tape to seal between the building and the window. They may have a local supplier they can put you in touch with. You can't let them give it to you as it would fall under fraud waste and abuse for govt property but they will know where to get it. Clean all surfaces then install the butyl tape on the roof itself. Make sure you set your skylight on use a crayon or marker to trace the edges onto the roof so you know where the tape goes, install the skylight then the Eternabond over the edges. I sent you a PM
Thanks for your service
Ron & Wendy-Kansas
94 Pace Arrow 34 ft
25 yr Army retired 2006
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:12 PM   #12
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
E Bond has a good how to video on YOUTUBE. While you are waiting, learn what you can. I use it and it is good stuff. Lots of good advice in the previous listings - look for other entry points - rusty screw are another possability. The self leveling caulk should have worked.
E Bond requires temps abouve 50 degrees F. Good luck and enjoy.
Tom and Amy from Northern Virginia.
2000 Allegro 454/Workhorse P32/TST/Crossfire
Life is a DIY project - enjoy it.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Butyl tape to bed the skylight and then etrnabond tape over the edge and screw heads. It won't leak at the seams or flange.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #14
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Our shop usually fixed leaks the first time. The few times we had returns. it was almost always because the water was coming through at one point, but coming in at another. When you remove the skylight, Get a flashlight and carefully check the water stain to see if it comes from another direction. A nearby vent or maybe seam.
Because of the way most motorhomes roofs are made, usually several layers; plywood, foam, etc., water can travel some distance after it gets into the roof structure. You have repaired it twice before, so I suspect that you really haven't found the entry point.

I had a leak which manifested itself near the driver's window. I recaulked that window but the leak continued. Finally, I crawled around the roof and discovered that the TV crank up antenna had been caulked while the antenna was down. There was no caulk on the base where it was concealed while the antenna was down. That fixed the problem. The source of the leak was a good five feet from where the water appeared inside the coach when it rained..

RCLImperial is offline   Reply With Quote