Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2016, 05:56 AM   #43

As you are probably aware it gets chilly in WY in the winter. We winterize anytime it gets below about 10 F. I de-winterize when above 10 F. I winterize and de-winterize on the road as neccessary. Sometimes 5 or 6 times in a winter on the road. The reason I pick 10 F is if I were to have a breakdown on the road everything could go bad quickly, especially in WY. My manual say just blowing out the lines is sufficient and all I need to do except for anti freeze for the drains. Never had a problem. Makes sense since air doesn't freeze. Plus I'm not putting that yucky stuff in my water lines. RV anti freeze does freeze and once it warmed above 10 F I couldn't de-winterize until spring. Nothing wrong with being hyper and out of control in winterizing but it isn't really needed. Just bowing out those lines with air is all you need to do.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2016, 12:54 AM   #44

I really want to say something about winterizing but living in S Texas I don't have to winterize. I do enjoy reading the posts here. Guess I'm one of the lucky few. Hope to see you on the road. I would love to travel up north in the winter but I'm not trusting those icey roads and my driving in it, lol.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:10 AM   #45

Just a quick anecdote about winterizing. Even though I did it, I used to wonder about the value of winterizing until a year ago. After realizing we wouldn't get to escape Wisconsin winter in time, I took the rig in to have it done. I got it in days before the first big freeze, and scheduled some other work, since it was already there. For some reason, they left it on the lot while waiting for the parts for the other work, while the temp dived to something insane below zero. Everything exploded. After trying to deny it, they replaced everything visibly damaged, found all of the leaks, and winterized it. But it wasn't until we had it de-winterized at their shop in Tucson that the problems really started: the toilet, the faucets, hoses, sensors. Fortunately, it was a national chain because it took a few stops before it was corrected. It will never be the same, though. We still have issues with pressure, and occasional leaks.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:19 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnitis View Post
Just a quick anecdote about winterizing. Even though I did it, I used to wonder about the value of winterizing until a year ago. After realizing we wouldn't get to escape Wisconsin winter in time, I took the rig in to have it done. I got it in days before the first big freeze, and scheduled some other work, since it was already there. For some reason, they left it on the lot while waiting for the parts for the other work, while the temp dived to something insane below zero. Everything exploded. After trying to deny it, they replaced everything visibly damaged, found all of the leaks, and winterized it. But it wasn't until we had it de-winterized at their shop in Tucson that the problems really started: the toilet, the faucets, hoses, sensors. Fortunately, it was a national chain because it took a few stops before it was corrected. It will never be the same, though. We still have issues with pressure, and occasional leaks.
Feel so bad for you. Is this another of the many CW stories?
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:51 AM   #47

Lol, yes. Sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
Feel so bad for you. Is this another of the many CW stories?
Old 02-04-2016, 12:55 PM   #48

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Oh the many told and NOT YET SHARED CW sagas and lessons!

Shame such an enterprise can develop such a deep dark vacuum!

Bought our rig at CW in June '14. Today is Feb 4th '16 and we may have our delivery PDI (pre delivery inspiration) completed.... Maybe!

By the way - not sure where to post:

FG rock chip repair - who is DIY a chip like my photo? putty? gel? JBW? Any help is appreciated!Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1454612104.729455.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	118231
Old 02-06-2016, 06:49 PM   #49

Understand and use the "couple of gallon water jugs" solution to winter travel. It would be convenient when traveling for a weekend or so, however, to have ten gallons or so in the fresh water tank, and then dump the tanks and re-blow the lines upon return. At what temperatures would that strategy work? For discussion, assume that the coach would always be powered (engine, generator, or shore) and that the interior would always be heated. Thanks!
Old 02-07-2016, 07:20 AM   #50

I blow out my lines on the road if the temp drops below 10F. Below 10F I start also flushing the toilet every other time with anti freeze and use some antifreeze in the grey tank. I have found that the black tank tends to stay warmer than the grey tank.
Probably because it is compost. We heat water for bathing and pour it into the grey tank. Usually we're only in wx below 10F a few days while traveling. I monitor my batteries couple of times during the night. Losing heat in the RV could be serious below 10F.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:39 AM   #51

We just came through a couple of nights that got down to 18. We didn't do anything except put a small space heater (220 watts) in the water basement and run the furnace inside. We also let the kitchen sink slow drip overnight into the grey tank. Sewer hose was disconnected. Did fine.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:43 AM   #52

Thanks! We don't have many nights here in the Smoky Mountains below 20, so I'll use that as a marker. Again, thanks for the quick help!
Old 02-08-2016, 07:20 AM   #53

For those that believe that nonsense about running water not freezing should come up to WY or MT in the winter. Those running streams freeze.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:57 PM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
For those that believe that nonsense about running water not freezing should come up to WY or MT in the winter. Those running streams freeze.
From Wyoming myself. In the town I'm from they mandate "bleeder" valves on the water line, which connects the water feed to the house sewer, to help keep the water lines from the street to house from freezing. I agree that moving water may freeze, but still water will freeze.
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:05 PM   #55

Hi Folks, new member here, just registered and read this set of posts and would like to add a bit.
I live in Colorado Springs and bought a 2015 Forest River Legacy MotorHome last fall. Used it once on a trip to Minnesota before Thanksgiving. Upon return to Colorado, I blew out the water lines, put antifreeze in the traps, and stored the rig at my dealers lot in Canon City, a much warmer area then the Palmer Divide where I live. We picked up the rig in late last month and took it to southern Arizona for several weeks. When first hooking up to water in Arizona, my water heater blew water out of several leaks. I bypassed the heater so we could continue our vacation. We had no hot water but the campgrounds we stayed at had great showers so didn't really need hot water in the rig.
The issue turned out to be the "On Demand" water heater. Although I blew out the lines, I forgot to open the T&P valve to blow out the line to that valve. Consequently, an eight inch copper line feeding into the T&P valve retained water, froze, expanded, and cracked.
My issue now is to find a replacement On-Demand water heater. Mine was a Girard Gen2 which was poor design anyways. Of course manufacturers or extended warranties won't cover anything due to freezing. I've been told by two dealers to get a Suburban model IW60 which is supposed to be one of the best. Anyone have any experience with or knowledge of On-Demand" RV water heaters, specifically this model?
Anyways, be extra careful when winterizing if you have an on-demand water heater.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:16 PM   #56

Well 2 weeks ago I left for Orlando FLorida. with 85 degree weather, only to come back to Pa with low temps of 18 at night... Thank goodness I blew out all water lines and drained hot water heater........

Tags
winter