Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2014, 05:43 PM   #15

I'd go out and take a picture, then go home, sit in front of the fire and enjoy a nice drink.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2014, 07:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
What is your opionion of an additional 4,500 to 10,000 lbs of weight on the suspension of a coach, especially on a coach with spring suspension, (not air suspension)?

I wonder how much weight RV roofs are designed and built to carry?
I'm not sure my opinion means much but I wouldn't worry about the suspension. We just had about 8" of snow here and it's piled high on the roof of my Winnebago, but I can't detect any visible suspension squat. If I can't even see it then I can't imagine it is hurting anything, especially until static conditions.

As to what RV roofs are designed for, who knows, I'm not aware of any standard. Higher-quality units are no doubt built better than lower-quality units but I'd expect most anything to be reasonably acceptable unless it was very old or had compromised strength due to damage or rot. In short there's already so much to be worried about with a motorhome that I don't think I'd waste any energy with this particular concern.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:08 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I gently took off 1/2 off the snow on the MH yesterday but got too windy so I am going to try Sat to do the rest. I am not going all the way to the roof though. I guess I am more worried about freeze/thaw that is going to be starting next week as it might get up to 40 by Tuesday. Did the same last 3 years.
jmo,tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:26 PM   #18

I'd leave it as the odds of damaging your roof pulling snow off it are far greater than any snow load damaging it. Living in Minnesota - I have never heard of a RV with a roof cave in. I have heard of many roofs leaking from people walking on them.....if some of your roof construction components are palstic and it is cold enough to make them brittle - you could break some seals also....good luck and hopefully it will melt soon!
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_BUS View Post
I'd leave it as the odds of damaging your roof pulling snow off it are far greater than any snow load damaging it.
Yes. Basically, I think that's the bottom line here.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 05:02 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Saw a BMW X5 in Nozawa Onsen with the roof caved in by about a foot.
It was parked near an awning and the snow dropped off onto the car.
I'm thinking lots of people take their Motorhome skiing, snowmobiling without a problem.
You would have to clear the black and grey tank vents surely??
Old 02-15-2014, 06:00 AM   #21

my opinion on this is god put it there god will remove it
coolhand108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:12 AM   #22

Prior to moving to Virginia we lived in Maine. My Friend owned an RV dealership which sold and stored trailers and motor coaches. He always suggested to remove excess snow as the snow load was not great for the RV's for a variety of reasons. He removed snow from all of their in stock items and also the many stored at his facility. He once showed me what damage the snow load can do it it personally convinced me to remove it. Additionally he said the slow melting snow has allot of time infiltrate into any leaks on the roof and body. Unlike a rainstorm which dumps a quick load of rain the melting snow hasp the to find its way in!
Old 02-15-2014, 06:44 AM   #23

That makes sense, that is true with any vehicle that stays outside. Its really tough spotting those microfractures that can cause leaks... you can argue than sitting outside in the sun can cause the same contraction / expansion and ruin a seal... then the next rain fall, the floor is wet.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote