Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Redridge's Avatar


 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,557
A foot of wet snow....

Anyone have any opinions of all this weight on the roof of our MH? Should I go up there and push it all off? Or should I not worry about and wait for warm weather that should be here next week. TIA...
__________________

__________________
Ferdinand,
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 (Melody), Folkstone
2013 Jeep Rubicon, Ready Brute Elite & Currie Ent Baseplate
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
Anyone have any opinions of all this weight on the roof of our MH? Should I go up there and push it all off? Or should I not worry about and wait for warm weather that should be here next week. TIA...
Good question ! I looked it up online, and some estimates of the weight of "medium " snow placed it at 15 lbs per cubic foot.
__________________

__________________
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:08 PM   #3
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
Should I go up there and push it all off? Or should I not worry about and wait for warm weather that should be here next week. TIA...
Redridge
That's a good question!

My coach is sitting with 20" of snow on the roof and I wonder the same thing....if I don't push/shovel/sweep it off it won't be gone until April, (or maybe May?).

BTW, it sat all winter, (in '01, '02, and '03), here in central Wisconsin, with snow on the roof, (which created no problems).

Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:11 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Dennis3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 15
Our trailer is located on our vacation property in the snow belt north of Gaylord Mi. We usually go up once a month during the winter to check and remove the snow from the roof. I use a plastic snow shovel, a ladder and a snow rake to get as much of the snow off. I would suggest removing the snow just to be on the safe side
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	394.3 KB
ID:	56111  
__________________
Dennis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:13 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
homeless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: http://binged.it/1KdDqKO
Posts: 2,316
Blog Entries: 1
The snow on the roof is good insulation. Trying to remove it can hurt your vents, air housings and seams. Not even considering how badly you might be hurt trying to do so!!
__________________
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #6
Community Administrator
 
Clifftall's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29,123
I don't do snow but it seems to me if I can stand on it in a small area than it shouldn't present a problem.
__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:38 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Redridge's Avatar


 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Good question ! I looked it up online, and some estimates of the weight of "medium " snow placed it at 15 lbs per cubic foot.
have 34'L x 9'W.... at 15lbs/ft^3, thats close to putting a Jeep wrangler (4500lbs) on top of our roof.... Is that math right?
__________________
Ferdinand,
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 (Melody), Folkstone
2013 Jeep Rubicon, Ready Brute Elite & Currie Ent Baseplate
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:33 PM   #8
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
have 34'L x 9'W.... at 15lbs/ft^3, thats close to putting a Jeep wrangler (4500lbs) on top of our roof.... Is that math right?
Redridge
That sounds about right.

Depending upon the density of the snow, it can weigh as little as 7, (and as much as 20), lbs per cubic foot.

My coach roof measures 8.5' wide X 35' long.
It has 20" of average density, (NOT fluffy, NOT compacted), snow sitting on it.
I figure that that snow weighs nearly 7,500 lbs.

Mel
'96 Safari
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:40 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
smiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,679
But having the weight of a Jeep Wrangler spread out evenly over the entire roof is an entirely different thing than the weight of a Jeep Wrangler focused on 4 areas of only 10-20 square inches (as it would be if it were really a car.) With structural concerns it's usually pounds per square foot that matter, not simple total weight.

Or looking at it in practical terms, there are about a zillion RVs sitting out in the snow right now, many with large accumulations. Have you ever heard of a roof caving in?
__________________
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:44 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Superslif's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NE. Ohio USA
Posts: 4,707
I get worried when there is maybe 12" to 20" and they are forecasting a cold rain or a period of wet snow...So far this winter (Northern Ohio) it has been above average snow, but very cold. So the snow is very light....They are forecasting a warm up next week, so I'll see if I need to pull some snow off. Did I say it has need cold...IT"S BEEN REAL COLD SINCE MID NOVEMBER. Did I forget any?
__________________
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2018 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 24 RKS
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:04 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
ladagobago's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Posts: 1,192
Blog Entries: 11
LB per SQ FT

Total weight means little but let's look a the pounds per square foot.
You said you had about 306 sq ft of roof area. The jeep would weigh in at let's say 4500. that equals a distributed load of snow at 15 lbs to 20 lbs per foot.

So let's now look at how much your foot weight is on the roof. I am giving you the benifit of the doubt at you weigh 200 lbs. Your foot is only about 4" wide and we will give you the big boy size of a 12" inch shoe. Of course, you never really on the entire shoe but normally the toe or heel. So what have we got for a distributed load of your 200 lbs. about 4.1 lbs per sq inch or almost 600 lbs per square foot.

I don't see where the snow is a problem if you can walk on your roof with one of you feet putting 200 lbs in less than 1/3 of a square foot.

that roof will be very slippery so don't stand on it with snow or ice.
__________________
La Dagobago
99 36 FL Winne Chieftain 5.9 ISB Turbo Cummins DP, 24' box with 1972 V12 XKE Jag and HD Sporty Hobby of 1970's Suzuki dirt bike restoration. Visit my blog.
ladagobago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:22 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Redridge's Avatar


 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
Total weight means little but let's look a the pounds per square foot.
You said you had about 306 sq ft of roof area. The jeep would weigh in at let's say 4500. that equals a distributed load of snow at 15 lbs to 20 lbs per foot.

So let's now look at how much your foot weight is on the roof. I am giving you the benifit of the doubt at you weigh 200 lbs. Your foot is only about 4" wide and we will give you the big boy size of a 12" inch shoe. Of course, you never really on the entire shoe but normally the toe or heel. So what have we got for a distributed load of your 200 lbs. about 4.1 lbs per sq inch or almost 600 lbs per square foot.

I don't see where the snow is a problem if you can walk on your roof with one of you feet putting 200 lbs in less than 1/3 of a square foot.

that roof will be very slippery so don't stand on it with snow or ice.
thanks for that... you've convinced me to leave it alone. Load analysis was never my strongest.

Thanks for all the input everyone...
__________________
Ferdinand,
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 (Melody), Folkstone
2013 Jeep Rubicon, Ready Brute Elite & Currie Ent Baseplate
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:26 PM   #13
Community Administrator
 
Clifftall's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 29,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
Total weight means little but let's look a the pounds per square foot. You said you had about 306 sq ft of roof area. The jeep would weigh in at let's say 4500. that equals a distributed load of snow at 15 lbs to 20 lbs per foot. So let's now look at how much your foot weight is on the roof. I am giving you the benifit of the doubt at you weigh 200 lbs. Your foot is only about 4" wide and we will give you the big boy size of a 12" inch shoe. Of course, you never really on the entire shoe but normally the toe or heel. So what have we got for a distributed load of your 200 lbs. about 4.1 lbs per sq inch or almost 600 lbs per square foot. I don't see where the snow is a problem if you can walk on your roof with one of you feet putting 200 lbs in less than 1/3 of a square foot. that roof will be very slippery so don't stand on it with snow or ice.
That's what I was referring to in my post above. You said it much better.
__________________


Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:30 PM   #14
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
But having the weight of a Jeep Wrangler spread out evenly over the entire roof is an entirely different thing than the weight of a Jeep Wrangler focused on 4 areas of only 10-20 square inches (as it would be if it were really a car.) With structural concerns it's usually pounds per square foot that matter, not simple total weight.

Or looking at it in practical terms, there are about a zillion RVs sitting out in the snow right now, many with large accumulations. Have you ever heard of a roof caving in?
smiller
I've never heard of a RV roof caving in.

What is your opionion of an additional 4,500 to 10,000 lbs of weight on the suspension of a coach, especially on a coach with spring suspension, (not air suspension)?

BTW, residential building codes in certain "snow zones", (like northern Wisconsin), require that house roofs be designed and built to carry a minimum of 40# per sq ft of snow, (aka: "live load").

I wonder how much weight RV roofs are designed and built to carry?

Mel
'96 Safari
__________________

__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
7" Snow on the roof Vsilvester Newmar Owner's Forum 14 02-06-2014 10:26 PM
Parks with snow and keeping snow cleared off roads Mean1255 Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 0 02-05-2014 08:01 AM
No more Snow Please Dennis3 iRV2.com General Discussion 31 01-27-2014 07:01 AM
Is it possible to fulltime in a 25 foot RV? 1lonewolf Full-Timers 35 12-30-2013 01:42 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.