Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #1

A foot of wet snow....

Anyone have any opinions of all this weight on the roof of our MH? Should I go up there and push it all off? Or should I not worry about and wait for warm weather that should be here next week. TIA...

Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redridge View Post
Anyone have any opinions of all this weight on the roof of our MH? Should I go up there and push it all off? Or should I not worry about and wait for warm weather that should be here next week. TIA...
Good question ! I looked it up online, and some estimates of the weight of "medium " snow placed it at 15 lbs per cubic foot.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Should I go up there and push it all off? Or should I not worry about and wait for warm weather that should be here next week. TIA...
Redridge
That's a good question!

My coach is sitting with 20" of snow on the roof and I wonder the same thing....if I don't push/shovel/sweep it off it won't be gone until April, (or maybe May?).

BTW, it sat all winter, (in '01, '02, and '03), here in central Wisconsin, with snow on the roof, (which created no problems).

Mel
'96 Safari, 132k miles
Old 02-14-2014, 03:11 PM   #4

Our trailer is located on our vacation property in the snow belt north of Gaylord Mi. We usually go up once a month during the winter to check and remove the snow from the roof. I use a plastic snow shovel, a ladder and a snow rake to get as much of the snow off. I would suggest removing the snow just to be on the safe side
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	394.3 KB
ID:	56111  
Old 02-14-2014, 03:13 PM   #5

The snow on the roof is good insulation. Trying to remove it can hurt your vents, air housings and seams. Not even considering how badly you might be hurt trying to do so!!
Old 02-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't do snow but it seems to me if I can stand on it in a small area than it shouldn't present a problem.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Good question ! I looked it up online, and some estimates of the weight of "medium " snow placed it at 15 lbs per cubic foot.
have 34'L x 9'W.... at 15lbs/ft^3, thats close to putting a Jeep wrangler (4500lbs) on top of our roof.... Is that math right?
Old 02-14-2014, 05:33 PM   #8

Quote:
have 34'L x 9'W.... at 15lbs/ft^3, thats close to putting a Jeep wrangler (4500lbs) on top of our roof.... Is that math right?
Redridge
That sounds about right.

Depending upon the density of the snow, it can weigh as little as 7, (and as much as 20), lbs per cubic foot.

My coach roof measures 8.5' wide X 35' long.
It has 20" of average density, (NOT fluffy, NOT compacted), snow sitting on it.
I figure that that snow weighs nearly 7,500 lbs.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 02-14-2014, 05:40 PM   #9

But having the weight of a Jeep Wrangler spread out evenly over the entire roof is an entirely different thing than the weight of a Jeep Wrangler focused on 4 areas of only 10-20 square inches (as it would be if it were really a car.) With structural concerns it's usually pounds per square foot that matter, not simple total weight.

Or looking at it in practical terms, there are about a zillion RVs sitting out in the snow right now, many with large accumulations. Have you ever heard of a roof caving in?
Old 02-14-2014, 05:44 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I get worried when there is maybe 12" to 20" and they are forecasting a cold rain or a period of wet snow...So far this winter (Northern Ohio) it has been above average snow, but very cold. So the snow is very light....They are forecasting a warm up next week, so I'll see if I need to pull some snow off. Did I say it has need cold...IT"S BEEN REAL COLD SINCE MID NOVEMBER. Did I forget any?
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:04 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
LB per SQ FT

Total weight means little but let's look a the pounds per square foot.
You said you had about 306 sq ft of roof area. The jeep would weigh in at let's say 4500. that equals a distributed load of snow at 15 lbs to 20 lbs per foot.

So let's now look at how much your foot weight is on the roof. I am giving you the benifit of the doubt at you weigh 200 lbs. Your foot is only about 4" wide and we will give you the big boy size of a 12" inch shoe. Of course, you never really on the entire shoe but normally the toe or heel. So what have we got for a distributed load of your 200 lbs. about 4.1 lbs per sq inch or almost 600 lbs per square foot.

I don't see where the snow is a problem if you can walk on your roof with one of you feet putting 200 lbs in less than 1/3 of a square foot.

that roof will be very slippery so don't stand on it with snow or ice.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
Total weight means little but let's look a the pounds per square foot.
You said you had about 306 sq ft of roof area. The jeep would weigh in at let's say 4500. that equals a distributed load of snow at 15 lbs to 20 lbs per foot.

So let's now look at how much your foot weight is on the roof. I am giving you the benifit of the doubt at you weigh 200 lbs. Your foot is only about 4" wide and we will give you the big boy size of a 12" inch shoe. Of course, you never really on the entire shoe but normally the toe or heel. So what have we got for a distributed load of your 200 lbs. about 4.1 lbs per sq inch or almost 600 lbs per square foot.

I don't see where the snow is a problem if you can walk on your roof with one of you feet putting 200 lbs in less than 1/3 of a square foot.

that roof will be very slippery so don't stand on it with snow or ice.
thanks for that... you've convinced me to leave it alone. Load analysis was never my strongest.

Thanks for all the input everyone...
Old 02-14-2014, 06:26 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
Total weight means little but let's look a the pounds per square foot. You said you had about 306 sq ft of roof area. The jeep would weigh in at let's say 4500. that equals a distributed load of snow at 15 lbs to 20 lbs per foot. So let's now look at how much your foot weight is on the roof. I am giving you the benifit of the doubt at you weigh 200 lbs. Your foot is only about 4" wide and we will give you the big boy size of a 12" inch shoe. Of course, you never really on the entire shoe but normally the toe or heel. So what have we got for a distributed load of your 200 lbs. about 4.1 lbs per sq inch or almost 600 lbs per square foot. I don't see where the snow is a problem if you can walk on your roof with one of you feet putting 200 lbs in less than 1/3 of a square foot. that roof will be very slippery so don't stand on it with snow or ice.
That's what I was referring to in my post above. You said it much better.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
But having the weight of a Jeep Wrangler spread out evenly over the entire roof is an entirely different thing than the weight of a Jeep Wrangler focused on 4 areas of only 10-20 square inches (as it would be if it were really a car.) With structural concerns it's usually pounds per square foot that matter, not simple total weight.

Or looking at it in practical terms, there are about a zillion RVs sitting out in the snow right now, many with large accumulations. Have you ever heard of a roof caving in?
smiller
I've never heard of a RV roof caving in.

What is your opionion of an additional 4,500 to 10,000 lbs of weight on the suspension of a coach, especially on a coach with spring suspension, (not air suspension)?

BTW, residential building codes in certain "snow zones", (like northern Wisconsin), require that house roofs be designed and built to carry a minimum of 40# per sq ft of snow, (aka: "live load").

I wonder how much weight RV roofs are designed and built to carry?

Mel
'96 Safari