Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2016, 05:39 PM   #1

A Hail of a Time in Texas

The beginning of our trip from Florida to Vancouver BC Canada started on a lovely note with a great week in Ocean Springs, MS at the Davis Bayou National Seashore campground. The next stop was a week at Buckhorn Lake RV Resort in Kerrville, TX located in The Texas Hill Country. It's a first class park centrally located in the Hill Country.

Unfortunately this is where things went terribly wrong. We were delayed a day getting out of there because we were waiting for our mail to arrive. It came late so we had to stay over. That night around 9pm we heard one loud bang on the roof then another and then it grew to a deafening roar of large projectiles hitting the roof of the coach. I knew then that we were in a Texas sized hailstorm. It continued on for nearly 45 minutes. Stones were crashing through the vents and I knew then we were in for major damage to our coach and to our brand new Toad.

With the vents destroyed the rains began. Water was pouring in and we were in damage control mode. We wrapped a couch pillow with a garbage bag and stuffed it in the vent opening and held it up there with a broom handle. Outside was a deluge of rain and inside was a frantic couple with pots and buckets trying to control the flow. The rains lasted for another hour flooding our escape route.

After the storm abated we grabbed our flashlights to check for damage. Our little white Ford Focus had a broken windshield and all the horizontal surfaces liked like that of a golf ball. Sleep that night was difficult. More storms were forecast for the next evening so we packed everything up and drove the mess back to Florida.

Back in Florida we had the coach roof checked and there was damage. This week we are getting estimates and arranging repairs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1464129438975.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	128104   Click image for larger version

Name:	1464129465417.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	128105  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2016, 06:37 PM   #2
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Wow, had a similar experience last year in Arkansas. Roof on RV survived but the car had $11k worth of damage. I had to replace all the plastic on top of the RV roof of course. Got a new Lexan cover for the skylight in the bath.

My vents had metal covers so I lucked out there, all the water came in through the skylight in the bath into the shower so that was easy for me.

Good luck with your insurance claims and hopefully you won't wait as long as I had to (two months) to get the car fixed/back.

bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:52 PM   #3

Thanks for the wishes. Started the process yesterday with insurance adjusters and body shops today. I am waiting for the MH adjuster. I hope I will find someone to do the roof work.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:14 PM   #4
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydream37 View Post
Thanks for the wishes. Started the process yesterday with insurance adjusters and body shops today. I am waiting for the MH adjuster. I hope I will find someone to do the roof work.
Are you thinking total roof replacement?
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:35 AM   #5

I don't know what it requires yet. I know it is a fiberglass roof and on initial inspection it didn't look all that bad. (I am in my mid-seventies and didn't stay up there for a long time lest I wanted to go "roof diving".)

My local shop, who installed the new vents and covers, said they saw numerous spider web cracks and the awnings were dented and torn. They didn't think a "new roof" was in order, but, a roof repair was required. The motorhome is and older unit and I believe that a requirement for a total roof replacement would "total" the motorhome. I really don't want that.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:17 AM   #6

Man, really sorry this happened to you. What a huge disappointment in not being able to complete your trip. Buckhorn is a really nice resort, but there is nowhere to hide in a hail storm.
I hope you get fast and total settlement so you can finish your planned trip in the future.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:41 AM   #7

Wow, reminds me of one I experienced in MS a few years back. I had a brand new Fusion rental. Fortunately my Visa Insurance covered the whole shot as the car was a write off.
I can't imagine being in a motorhome through that. It must have been a scary event to say the least. Hopefully things go well with your insurance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	128179  
Old 05-25-2016, 10:43 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Dang it!
Here is to hoping it is all fixed and you are on your way in short order with quite the story to tell.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:43 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
So sorry for your troubles. Yes, you try to watch the radar and take whatever measures that are possible. Sometimes, you are just stuck in it and have to take what mother nature deals you. We were fortunate last moth driving the toad back to AZ, we saw it coming and stopped under a canopy at a Sonic Drive-in in Sonora, TX. It wasn't as bad as it looked (marble-size), but it later produced softball size hail in the San Antonio area.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:08 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I knew then that we were in a Texas sized hailstorm. It continued on for nearly 45 minutes.
Hail! I feel your pain. Mine happened in Montana in June, 2014. We were out sight-seeing in the toad when we got smacked. No damage to the motorhome, thankfully. Turned out to be $9,700 repair to the toad.

I got the process started with just a phone call to report the damage. Fortunately, for me, the car was driveable. The agent asked asked how I wanted the damage repaired. Since we were mid-trip, I really didn't want to be stuck waiting for the repair to be completed in Montana. As you'll likely discover, a hail storm can significantly exhaust local repair capabilities, resulting in sizeable delay. Our agent was happy to just start the claim process and let us delay the estimate and repair process until after we finished our trip, 3 months later.

I had hoped that, like a golf ball, the toad would get better gas mileage without developing an unmanageable hook or slice. None of that happened.

The repair facility was somewhat surprised to see hail damage when I took it in to them in October (it doesn't hail in Virginia in October???).

You might look at this YouTube video (
Old 05-26-2016, 06:50 AM   #11

Thanks again for all your comments. I took the Toad to the body shop yesterday. The estimate was $7000. The adjuster for the motorhome insurer has yet to contact us with an appointment.

The body shop doing the work said they had only seen one other as bad and that was the week before. That car was also in Kerrville TX the week before. Small world.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:14 AM   #12

Roof replacement...

Quote:
I don't know what it requires yet. I know it is a fiberglass roof and on initial inspection it didn't look all that bad. (I am in my mid-seventies and didn't stay up there for a long time lest I wanted to go "roof diving".)

My local shop, who installed the new vents and covers, said they saw numerous spider web cracks and the awnings were dented and torn. They didn't think a "new roof" was in order, but, a roof repair was required. The motorhome is and older unit and I believe that a requirement for a total roof replacement would "total" the motorhome. I really don't want that.

]

When our TT roof was damaged by hail, the repair shop said that there was sure to be hidden damage to the roof support system, and it needed to be replaced. The estimates were eight to ten thousand dollars.

We called Jayco, who said that if we would bring it to the factory service center, they would repair any damage they found for $ 1,800.00...

We took it there, and in 4 days they replaced the roof, roof structure, ceiling, roof hatches, lights, fans, wiring, insulation, and part of the back and sidewalls (hidden water damage), for the promised $1,800.00. And, just because they had extra time, they re-painted the frame, bumper and steps, all while we played tourist in Middlebury.

That was 4 years ago on our 6 year old 25RKS, and I'm sure that prices have gone up, but the factory is the way to go. It was a 10 hour drive for us, but it was well worth it, and we made it into a mini-vacation.

We paid for the repairs up front, than submitted the bill to the insurance company, and they reimbursed us, less the deductible.
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:22 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
It's been a rough spring in Texas. It seems like we're getting a round of thunderstorms with hail every week.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:16 PM   #14

I wondered if I should have stayed to get it repaired and move on or come back to Florida. The more I watch the weather more convinced that I did the right thing. I may have had a better chance of getting the car totaled there but the hassle would not have been worth it. Hopefully in a few weeks this will be behind us and we are on the road again. Different direction this time. Straight Northwest.

Tags
texas