Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
X2, Ditto, I strongly agree!!! Look for a used diesel by a well respected maker. You'll get a whole lot more bang for the buck!!!!

X 3 Used DP from a high end builder. Such as Monoco, Country Coach, Travel Supreme, Holiday Rambler, and a host of others. Good luck shopping.

becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2014, 12:40 PM   #16

If you like the Newmar, look at the Ventana LE floor plans, DP for about the same price.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Didn't take long for the "buy used or you're silly" people to chime in. Poster was asking about new, so I assume he is bright enough to know how to post his question?
I have always bought new because that is what I wanted. I want to be the first one rip the plastic off the bed and the first one to stain the carpet and scratch the paint. This has value to me like all the "buy used" crowd feels they got a huge discount. You can negotiate good deals on new too by the way. To say you lose %20-30 after you drive off the lot is simply not true unless you failed to negotiate. Also to all those who would only buy used, if everyone took that advice who would buy the new ones? I suppose if no one bought new it would sure make the used market more expensive!!
And also, go for the Newmar pusher, we almost got the Mountain Aire but ended up with a better deal on our American Coach Rev. Even if you only drive short distances you will be able to pull at least 10k and getting there is half the fun!!
Old 02-10-2014, 03:42 PM   #18

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcgill View Post
Didn't take long for the "buy used or you're silly" people to chime in. Poster was asking about new, so I assume he is bright enough to know how to post his question?
I have always bought new because that is what I wanted. I want to be the first one rip the plastic off the bed and the first one to stain the carpet and scratch the paint. This has value to me like all the "buy used" crowd feels they got a huge discount. You can negotiate good deals on new too by the way. To say you lose %20-30 after you drive off the lot is simply not true unless you failed to negotiate. Also to all those who would only buy used, if everyone took that advice who would buy the new ones? I suppose if no one bought new it would sure make the used market more expensive!!
And also, go for the Newmar pusher, we almost got the Mountain Aire but ended up with a better deal on our American Coach Rev. Even if you only drive short distances you will be able to pull at least 10k and getting there is half the fun!!
It's wonderful that you are fortunate enough to be able to buy a >$500k MH new; the OP has a stated budget of less than half that. For the amount of money the OP can afford to spend I don't think there is any harm in explaining that he can get a lot more for his money by buying a used MH.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #19

Like most said, it all comes down to how it will be used and at which stage in life you are in. We just bought our first Class A and here is why we decided on a gasser.

We have two young kids and camping for us is normally once or twice a month with about three or four long trips per year...usually to go see may'ma in FL. With that being said we wanted as nice of a coach we could get for under 100k that will last us around 10 years. Could we afford the 1/4 mil DP? Yes, but that seemed flat out silly. I can pretty much do any repair/maintenance on our V10, but I have had zero experience with diesels and the components they use. With that being said, for us, it's cheaper to maintain, drive, and enjoy.

Now, when the kids are off to college (fingers crossed) we will look at a new coach. Still not sure about a DP though. It will all have to be evaluated at that point.

The statement about a Kia vs a Merc doesn't make sense to me. If the Kia serves it's purpose why get a Merc? Status?

IMO, if your coach is going to replace your primary residence then get the most comfortable ride/living conditions/etc. in which case, from what I hear, the DP is the way to go.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:30 PM   #20
GKW

Quote:
Didn't take long for the "buy used or you're silly" people to chime in. Poster was asking about new, so I assume he is bright enough to know how to post his question? I have always bought new because that is what I wanted. I want to be the first one rip the plastic off the bed and the first one to stain the carpet and scratch the paint. This has value to me like all the "buy used" crowd feels they got a huge discount. You can negotiate good deals on new too by the way. To say you lose %20-30 after you drive off the lot is simply not true unless you failed to negotiate. Also to all those who would only buy used, if everyone took that advice who would buy the new ones? I suppose if no one bought new it would sure make the used market more expensive!! And also, go for the Newmar pusher, we almost got the Mountain Aire but ended up with a better deal on our American Coach Rev. Even if you only drive short distances you will be able to pull at least 10k and getting there is half the fun!!
I have yet to see a new RV, Automobile, Airplane or Boat that you could buy new and drive away and not take a hit on. There is no question that buying used can get you more bang for your buck in a DP. Super negotiator? I don't think so. Get the coach your comfortable with financially, aesthetically, and enjoy it. Remember, someone always has one bigger and better and more expensive, but who cares?
Old 02-10-2014, 05:54 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
The statement about a Kia vs a Merc doesn't make sense to me. If the Kia serves it's purpose why get a Merc? Status?
You think the quality of a Kia and a Mercedes Benz are the same? A Mercedes Benz most likely has real leather seats, a Diesel engine that will provide power and economy, a crash safety rating far superior to the Kia, many other luxury touches, and is put together with no rattles, creaks or leaks, and holds its resale value far longer. ( I probably haven't even done the Benz justice with my comparison....others feel free to add what I left out). If you don't like the Mercedes Benz, feel free to substitute another luxury car of your choice ...... Lexus.....Infinity..... BMW.....Audi. A Kia has 4 wheels and an engine, that's where the similarity ends. Comparing an entry level gas motorhome with a luxury DP is the same sort of comparison. Yes they both serve the purpose of "camping", but the luxury coach will do it better.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:10 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKW View Post
I have yet to see a new RV, Automobile, Airplane or Boat that you could buy new and drive away and not take a hit on. There is no question that buying used can get you more bang for your buck in a DP. Super negotiator? I don't think so. Get the coach your comfortable with financially, aesthetically, and enjoy it. Remember, someone always has one bigger and better and more expensive, but who cares?
Didn't say you wouldn't take a hit, just not as much as a poster indicated. Even buying used and getting rid of it within a year will see some depreciation likely. Not sure what your comment regarding someone always will have something bigger better and more expensive has to do with my comments, but I agree with you, who cares. Everyone can draw his/hers own conclusion, but for me I would rather buy a new $200k coach than a 3 or 4 year old higher end one as an example. Seems like people who buy used love to brag about how much they saved and if someone buys new because that is what they want, it sounds like the used buyers think they are bragging?? This lifestyle is a blast, really doesn't matter how it is done. We had just as much fun in our 27 Ft Arctic Fox TT as our coach
Old 02-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #23

I get 8-8.2 mpg with the 8.1 vortex. I can do most of my own maintenance, can buy most of my parts from autozone or most any napa dealer. I pay on average $.60-.80 less for fuel and tow a car @ 62 mph. I normally take trips of less than 200 miles twice a month and 2 trips per year in excess of a 1500 miles round trip. I have a comfortable ride and lots of room in the 38T. For me I can't justify the cost of the DP. I have most of the amenities that the high end DP offer. I've never owned a DP so I can't testify to the ride. I just believe the cost of the gas over the DP works better for me currently.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:27 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I’m around lots of Motor Homes and owners because of work.
This is a simple observation, people who own gas Motor Homes want diesels and diesels owners don’t want gas Motor Homes. Now I know some will disagree, but it is what I see.
I lstarted with a tent, then pop-up, and then class C, next class A gas, finally diesel. Gas is so much easer than diesel, period. Now easer doesn’t mean better, with the diesel it’s like a yacht it plows through the mountains, better in bad weather and can carry more weight.
Most owners don’t use their RVs and they just sit and need maintenance. Better know it’s what you want to do, and allow for few days a month to properly take care of it. Start by reading everything you can on the web (irv2). Learn about brands and models, chasses and engines. The reality is, that in 5 years what ever you paid for the RV, it will be worth about half that much. (So is your car) NADA low retail should be first thing you check when seeing what the value is.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Didn't say you wouldn't take a hit, just not as much as a poster indicated.
I think you are referring to my post where I say 20-40%. That number is pretty much what you see across the board if you do the research. It is also what three of the largest west coast RV dealers have also told me (Not the salespeople but the owner of the dealerships). But let me give you just one real life example of a 2012 popular higher end DP.

$ 460,000 MSRP
$ 345,000 Selling price by a very popular no haggle dealer in the US
$ 250,000 6 month USED model being sold just as the 2013's came out at another very popular no-haggle USED only dealership.

$345,000 / $250,000 = the coach was driven off the lot, used for 6 months (<2000 miles put on it) and it lost 27.5% of it's best sales price.

The important thing to consider is this that the used coach was being sold through a DEALER. If this coach would have been repo'd or if it had been going through an estate sale due to the death of the owner chances are you could pick it up for significantly less (I know because I have used these techniques).

Another real life example would be that beautiful Newmar Mountain Aire coach you were looking at. You know how much it would have cost, well a 2011 was sold by a widow who just wanted it gone in the summer of 2013. The price . . . $140,000. Granted that was one heck of a steal but these are the sorts of deals you can get on the used market. There is simply no such thing as those types of deals in used.

Quote:
Even buying used and getting rid of it within a year will see some depreciation likely.
I've only bought and sold one coach within in a year and I made $11,000 on the deal. If I decided to sell my current coach I would also make money on the deal but that is the beauty of buying used. You wait until you get a super killer deal and snag it and then you can use the coach for a few years without losing any money on it.

Quote:
Seems like people who buy used love to brag about how much they saved and if someone buys new because that is what they want, it sounds like the used buyers think they are bragging??

There is no bragging involved here, it's just simple mathematics and the reality of owning a highly depreciating asset. As you already mentioned the fact is there are many more people who want new and that allows people who want used to get great deals.

But there are many people who don't understand how much money they will lose when they buy new. That is why and a few other posters have suggested that the OP might want to look into used. The bottom line is that I have ZERO problem with someone who knows the facts and says: 'I like new, I want to rip the cover off the mattress.' If this brings them great joy and they feel it's worth the $$$ then I say go for it.

I spent tons of money flying my King Air to business meetings. Could I have flown Southwest at a fraction of the cost - you betcha, but I had a whole lot of fun flying myself on my own schedule. Did it make financial sense - NO way, but I thought it was worth every penny so I understand where you are coming from.

Quote:
This lifestyle is a blast, really doesn't matter how it is done. We had just as much fun in our 27 Ft Arctic Fox TT as our coach

Couldn't agree more.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:26 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
I think you are referring to my post where I say 20-40%. That number is pretty much what you see across the board if you do the research. It is also what three of the largest west coast RV dealers have also told me (Not the salespeople but the owner of the dealerships). But let me give you just one real life example of a 2012 popular higher end DP. $ 460,000 MSRP $ 345,000 Selling price by a very popular no haggle dealer in the US $ 250,000 6 month USED model being sold just as the 2013's came out at another very popular no-haggle USED only dealership. $345,000 / $250,000 = the coach was driven off the lot, used for 6 months (<2000 miles put on it) and it lost 27.5% of it's best sales price. The important thing to consider is this that the used coach was being sold through a DEALER. If this coach would have been repo'd or if it had been going through an estate sale due to the death of the owner chances are you could pick it up for significantly less (I know because I have used these techniques). Another real life example would be that beautiful Newmar Mountain Aire coach you were looking at. You know how much it would have cost, well a 2011 was sold by a widow who just wanted it gone in the summer of 2013. The price . . . $140,000. Granted that was one heck of a steal but these are the sorts of deals you can get on the used market. There is simply no such thing as those types of deals in used. I've only bought and sold one coach within in a year and I made $11,000 on the deal. If I decided to sell my current coach I would also make money on the deal but that is the beauty of buying used. You wait until you get a super killer deal and snag it and then you can use the coach for a few years without losing any money on it. There is no bragging involved here, it's just simple mathematics and the reality of owning a highly depreciating asset. As you already mentioned the fact is there are many more people who want new and that allows people who want used to get great deals. But there are many people who don't understand how much money they will lose when they buy new. That is why and a few other posters have suggested that the OP might want to look into used. The bottom line is that I have ZERO problem with someone who knows the facts and says: 'I like new, I want to rip the cover off the mattress.' If this brings them great joy and they feel it's worth the $$$ then I say go for it. I spent tons of money flying my King Air to business meetings. Could I have flown Southwest at a fraction of the cost - you betcha, but I had a whole lot of fun flying myself on my own schedule. Did it make financial sense - NO way, but I thought it was worth every penny so I understand where you are coming from. Couldn't agree more.
I feel so humbled, I guess it comes down to the fact I love filling out the order form and waiting for my coach to be built, like the commercial says "priceless." I also like doing that with our vehicles and our recreational boats. Does it make financial sense, absolutely not!
BTW, family had a 71 C90 years ago, 8 passenger. Fun way to travel, tough times in the 80's had to sell.
Take care
Old 02-11-2014, 12:03 AM   #27

I searched for a used coach and could not get past the fact I would have to remodel to get what I wanted or the used smell out. As said to each his own, bottom line is value for cost, and does it fill your wish list for features.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:24 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have never had a gas MH so I may be wrong but I do not believe that gas MH have an engine break. It only took one trip for me to drive down from my 4000 foot elevation campground in the Sierra Nevadas on a very switchback mountain road to fall in love with my engine brake. Turn on the brake and idle down the mountain. Every place that had a pull off I pulled over to let traffic around me. The only time I hit my brakes was to stop in the pull off. I would never have a motor home without engine braking.

If when they draw the numbers for powerball wed and the ticket I have is the winning ticket and I am guaranteed 7 million for 30 years or 162 million cash. I will be buying a new whatever I want motor home. Until that happens I think buying my used MH with a very comprehensive warranty gave me the most motor home for my dollars with the least amount of risk on worrying about repairs. The extended warranty I bought actually is longer than a new motor home warranty would have been

Tags
class a, diesel, gas