Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2014, 12:35 AM   #29

Somebody has to buy new. They were all new once. Somebody has to buy used, as people trade or get rid of rigs. Just buy what suites you fancy. iIts all good.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2014, 06:38 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
You think the quality of a Kia and a Mercedes Benz are the same? A Mercedes Benz most likely has real leather seats, a Diesel engine that will provide power and economy, a crash safety rating far superior to the Kia, many other luxury touches, and is put together with no rattles, creaks or leaks, and holds its resale value far longer. ( I probably haven't even done the Benz justice with my comparison....others feel free to add what I left out). If you don't like the Mercedes Benz, feel free to substitute another luxury car of your choice ...... Lexus.....Infinity..... BMW.....Audi. A Kia has 4 wheels and an engine, that's where the similarity ends. Comparing an entry level gas motorhome with a luxury DP is the same sort of comparison. Yes they both serve the purpose of "camping", but the luxury coach will do it better.
I think you missed the whole point. Your comparison doesn't relate to what the OP asked. Besides, if you are in the market for a luxury DP why would you even look at an entry level gasser...or even a luxury gasser. If the OP was looking for a used Class A, then I can sort of see the comparison...sort of. I say sort of, because you'd have to get a much older luxury DP than the gasser box on wheels.

al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:58 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyl View Post
I get 8-8.2 mpg with the 8.1 vortex. I can do most of my own maintenance, can buy most of my parts from autozone or most any napa dealer. I pay on average $.60-.80 less for fuel and tow a car @ 62 mph. I normally take trips of less than 200 miles twice a month and 2 trips per year in excess of a 1500 miles round trip. I have a comfortable ride and lots of room in the 38T. For me I can't justify the cost of the DP. I have most of the amenities that the high end DP offer. I've never owned a DP so I can't testify to the ride. I just believe the cost of the gas over the DP works better for me currently.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:21 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by passerby View Post
This is a simple observation, people who own gas Motor Homes want diesels and diesels owners donít want gas Motor Homes.
The same goes for everything. The guy with the private jet does not want a DP. I think we all agree that the diesels are the ultimate camping machine. However, one must eat with their stomach, not their eyes. I remember when I thought my 200 dollar tent was the ultimate camping thing. LOL
Old 02-11-2014, 08:35 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
I think you missed the whole point. Your comparison doesn't relate to what the OP asked. Besides, if you are in the market for a luxury DP why would you even look at an entry level gasser...or even a luxury gasser. If the OP was looking for a used Class A, then I can sort of see the comparison...sort of. I say sort of, because you'd have to get a much older luxury DP than the gasser box on wheels.
The OP was comparing a new high end class A gas unit with a low end new diesel. I was trying to show how the OP could "upgrade" from a low end Diesel to a luxury DP just by going used instead of new.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
I have never had a gas MH so I may be wrong but I do not believe that gas MH have an engine break.
Engine brakes are great some gassers have a grade brake which works somewhat similar, activate, press on brake and the computer will downshift to the gear to hold your desired speed down the hill. If you don't have that system you will slow before the grade, downshift to a pre-determined gear to match the slope angle and your desired speed and let the engine brake you.

All methods work but the DP's engine brake is the best and easiest of all three and if your 'mission profile' is lot's of mountain driving then a DP makes more sense to own. Just FYI getting up the mountain is a lot easier and nicer in a DP too.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:51 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
Engine brakes are great some gassers have a grade brake which works somewhat similar, activate, press on brake and the computer will downshift to the gear to hold your desired speed down the hill. If you don't have that system you will slow before the grade, downshift to a pre-determined gear to match the slope angle and your desired speed and let the engine brake you.

All methods work but the DP's engine brake is the best and easiest of all three and if your 'mission profile' is lot's of mountain driving then a DP makes more sense to own. Just FYI getting up the mountain is a lot easier and nicer in a DP too.
I don't know how ours does it, but if you set the cruise control on, let's say 60, it will keep it that way even going down steep hills.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:08 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Quality v. Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
You think the quality of a Kia and a Mercedes Benz are the same? A Mercedes Benz most likely has real leather seats, a Diesel engine that will provide power and economy, a crash safety rating far superior to the Kia, many other luxury touches, and is put together with no rattles, creaks or leaks, and holds its resale value far longer. ( I probably haven't even done the Benz justice with my comparison....others feel free to add what I left out). If you don't like the Mercedes Benz, feel free to substitute another luxury car of your choice ...... Lexus.....Infinity..... BMW.....Audi. A Kia has 4 wheels and an engine, that's where the similarity ends. Comparing an entry level gas motorhome with a luxury DP is the same sort of comparison. Yes they both serve the purpose of "camping", but the luxury coach will do it better.
There is an important difference between quality and grade. I have owned a new MB 300SE and a new Toyota Rav4. The grade of the MB was much higher, but the quality of the Rav4 was considerably higher. A MH with a 400 HP Cat is higher grade (in this aspect) than a similar size and weight coach with a 300 HP Cat, but they should be the same quality. For a price you can usually fix grade, but it is hard to fix quality.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:10 PM   #37

Smile What I have owned

I had a Winnebago Adventurer 37F. I added a Banks system and loved it. Did some ride work sway bars and Koni shocks. The Banks system added 105 Horse power and 95 foot pounds of Torque. We just purchased a Winnebago Forza 38R and I added a Banks water/methanol system added 170 horses and 270 foot pounds and 270 foot pounds of torque I increased my MPG by 20%. The best part is you can use windshield wiper fluid that has 49% methanol. You can not go wrong with the Adventurer 37F You can buy a 2011 or 2012 for under $100,000. The Forza has a great floor plan, I paid $175,000 it listed for $223,000.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:56 PM   #38

High End Gas Class A or Low End DP

I would like to thank everyone for their opinion on this matter. I guess I did forget a few things on my first thread. I'm currently not retired yet, I hope to retire at the end of 2015 I hope to use the MH on a part time basis, we have a son in Florida that we will probably visit once or twice a year plus we would like to travel around this great country of ours, my wife and I also enjoy cruising so I know that we will probably take a couple of those a year if everything goes as plan. I do hope to tow a dingy probably a Rav4 this is under 5,000 lbs so I'm aware that a gas MH is not going to tow like a DP, now the new DP that I was looking at has a Cummins 340 HP I think this should be strong enough to take cross country and to tow a car behind it that is why I was asking all of the questions, as for NEW I have to admit that I have been lucky enough that everything that we have bought until now has been always new, I have bought three houses in my life all new, all of my cars since I got married 30 years ago have been new, I have a boat and that was bought new so I guess I do not want to break traditions, like I saw in one if the opinion I like to be the first one to use that bathroom and I want to be the one that sleep first in that MH. I know that I will loose money on this deal as we know we do not buy one of these moving homes as an investment anyone thinking that is really fooling them selfs I'm aware that this is a life style that I know I would like but again on a part time basis. Again thanks for all of your great opinions.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:40 AM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
Make Sure of Your Rav's Toad Capability

GC,

Enjoy that new MH! We intended to buy a new Rav4 to replace our beloved 2001 Rav4. But when we investigated cars that could be towed with 4 wheels on the pavement, the new RAV4 was listed as not being capable. We ended up buying a Honda CRV. On the other hand, there is someone in the CG where we are now that has a third-generation (2006-2012) RAV4 with a towing baseplate installed, so it must be possible. We've seen many CRVs used as toads, but just the one RAV4,
Old 02-12-2014, 06:41 AM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Part 2

Forgot to mention - there is a toad section in iRV2.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:48 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman1953 View Post
I had a Winnebago Adventurer 37F. I added a Banks system and loved it. Did some ride work sway bars and Koni shocks. The Banks system added 105 Horse power and 95 foot pounds of Torque. We just purchased a Winnebago Forza 38R and I added a Banks water/methanol system added 170 horses and 270 foot pounds and 270 foot pounds of torque I increased my MPG by 20%. The best part is you can use windshield wiper fluid that has 49% methanol. You can not go wrong with the Adventurer 37F You can buy a 2011 or 2012 for under $100,000. The Forza has a great floor plan, I paid $175,000 it listed for $223,000.
Wow, you are going to need wheelie bars for your coach. I personally can't see adding more power to our V10. It's got some serious cojones as it is. My only complaint is the shift points on the tranny in which case a 5 star tune should fix that.

+1 on both of the coaches you mentioned. To the OP, go take a look at the Georgetown coaches. We got the 351DS because of the kids, but without them we would have bought the XL.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:23 AM   #42

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectPro View Post
GC,

Enjoy that new MH! We intended to buy a new Rav4 to replace our beloved 2001 Rav4. But when we investigated cars that could be towed with 4 wheels on the pavement, the new RAV4 was listed as not being capable. We ended up buying a Honda CRV. On the other hand, there is someone in the CG where we are now that has a third-generation (2006-2012) RAV4 with a towing baseplate installed, so it must be possible. We've seen many CRVs used as toads, but just the one RAV4,
Just be aware that those listings are the vehicles that can be flat-towed without modifications. It is likely the Rav4 you saw with a base plate probably has a lube pump installed to make it towable 4 down. Also, rear wheel drive vehicles not listed can be towed if a DS disconnect is installed.

Tags
class a, diesel, gas