Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
Grandcanyon, check out the attached web site Great guy and very knowledgeable. On this site is current Tiffin retail prices . Like you I looked at Gas vs DP and split the difference, I bought a used FRED (Front Engine Diesel) They are a little cheaper than a DP but do not have air ride. Just something to think about. Good luck

RVcruzer.com - Home Page

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #44

OP - Thanks for posting more of what it is you want, and sharing that New really meant New to you. As others have commented, nothing wrong with us (myself included) pointing our the great values of higher quality coaches available in the slightly used pool! But you, and all, sure can spend your money anywhere you want. Good for you!

We ended up going Used DP, but had considered a 'bridge until retirement rig' gasser. I toured the Rexhall plant, and liked that Bill Rex and gang had pushed the design envelope with the Aerbus. I liked the 8.1 Rear Engine and Allison Trans combo in the UFO. The T-Rex slides made the 37' model larger inside then many 40' plus models. And I believe that Rexhall will make modifications to your wants, during the build process. Talking with a few UFO chassis owners, many of them changed over to the Koni FSD's to improve handling. Rexhall's are worth a look, especially if you want to order one specific to your wants.

Aerbus - Rexhall Industries Manufacturer of Class A Motorhomes - Aerbus, RexAir, RoseAir, American Clipper & Vision • 800.765.7500 • 661.726.0565

The other gasser we considered, were slightly used Mountain Aire. Newmar no longers makes a gas Mountain Aire, so I believe their top gasser is the Canyon Star.

Newmar Canyon Star Motorhome | Newmar

I have not problem with the big chassis F53, it's a solid chassis, engine and trans combination.

Those would be the two I would consider in a gasser. I would really look close at total weight, based upon size. As I feel when you get up to the 39' size RV's - gassers are working pretty hard. Thus my liking the 37' Rexhall over the 39' that they had.

Full disclosure. Rexhall, if they are still producing the UFO with 8.1, are doing so on chassis that have been built and waiting for a few years now. I would want that reflected in the price, and also want new tires, hoses, belts, and total flush of all fluids - as part of the purchase. I also do not know who carries the warranty on these 'new old stock' units, what with Workhorse being absorbed. Sure not saying this could be a problem, but I would really want to understand warranty.

Good luck on your hunt, enjoy!
Smitty

Old 02-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #45

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1
You think the quality of a Kia and a Mercedes Benz are the same? A Mercedes Benz most likely has real leather seats, a Diesel engine that will provide power and economy, a crash safety rating far superior to the Kia, If you don't like the Mercedes Benz, feel free to substitute another luxury car of your choice ...... Lexus.....Infinity..... BMW.....Audi. A Kia has 4 wheels and an engine, that's where the similarity ends
A KIA some models can be pulled 4 down behind a MH be it gas or DP.
A Mercedes Benz NO, BMW NO, Audi NO, Lexus NO and Infinity NO since the 2008 G35. Also Cadillac a NO

The 2014 MKZ with the V6 or Hybrid can.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:19 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
OP - Thanks for posting more of what it is you want, and sharing that New really meant New to you. As others have commented, nothing wrong with us (myself included) pointing our the great values of higher quality coaches available in the slightly used pool! But you, and all, sure can spend your money anywhere you want. Good for you! We ended up going Used DP, but had considered a 'bridge until retirement rig' gasser. I toured the Rexhall plant, and liked that Bill Rex and gang had pushed the design envelope with the Aerbus. I liked the 8.1 Rear Engine and Allison Trans combo in the UFO. The T-Rex slides made the 37' model larger inside then many 40' plus models. And I believe that Rexhall will make modifications to your wants, during the build process. Talking with a few UFO chassis owners, many of them changed over to the Koni FSD's to improve handling. Rexhall's are worth a look, especially if you want to order one specific to your wants. Aerbus - Rexhall Industries Manufacturer of Class A Motorhomes - Aerbus, RexAir, RoseAir, American Clipper & Vision € 800.765.7500 € 661.726.0565€ The other gasser we considered, were slightly used Mountain Aire. Newmar no longers makes a gas Mountain Aire, so I believe their top gasser is the Canyon Star. Newmar Canyon Star Motorhome | Newmar I have not problem with the big chassis F53, it's a solid chassis, engine and trans combination. Those would be the two I would consider in a gasser. I would really look close at total weight, based upon size. As I feel when you get up to the 39' size RV's - gassers are working pretty hard. Thus my liking the 37' Rexhall over the 39' that they had. Full disclosure. Rexhall, if they are still producing the UFO with 8.1, are doing so on chassis that have been built and waiting for a few years now. I would want that reflected in the price, and also want new tires, hoses, belts, and total flush of all fluids - as part of the purchase. I also do not know who carries the warranty on these 'new old stock' units, what with Workhorse being absorbed. Sure not saying this could be a problem, but I would really want to understand warranty. Good luck on your hunt, enjoy! Smitty
I too liked the layout of the Rexhall, but after reading the problems you just stated from other buyers. I stayed clear of that. Could not get dealer to cover air system and other items that I'm sure we're ready to fail after being stored in the desert for who knows how long.

2013 Palazzo 33.3
Old 02-12-2014, 09:45 PM   #47

My first Rv was a fleet wood bounder gasser with that screaming v-10 every decent hill we went up, wind blowing us all over the road, 18 wheelers blowing by us whenever we were loaded with our BBQ trailer. Now we have a diesel pusher holiday rambler. It's used, 300 hp, air ride, a lot better built, and if I floor board it, I don't have a screaming engine beside me, it's in the back running only 2000-2500 rpms with the turbo spooled up making torque. The Allison transmission is wonderful. Having owned both by the age of 30, I can gladly say I will only be diesel pusher with the Allison for the rest of my life. It's like comparing a Toyota Tacoma pulling a trailer vs a duramax or cummins pulling the same trailer. You can actually go the speed limit, and your not gettin bounced all over the highway with your load. I have to say the worst thing about our gasser was the lack of power and the horrible "porpoising" and sway
Old 02-13-2014, 06:02 AM   #48

This is probably the best opinion on diesel vs gasser that I've read. Took it from another forum:

While some will tell you that to go full-time you must have a diesel pusher, that is far from true. Modern gas chassis will easily take you for 150K miles and more with proper care and maintenance, while most diesels go much farther, not all of them do and the cost to replace a diesel engine is more than twice the cost to do the same for a gasoline engine. As long as you buy a quality coach the chassis that it rides on should not be the primary issue, since most fulltimers actually live in their coach with it sitting still far more of the time than they travel down the highways. Most of us travel 10K miles per year or even less and with an average speed of 50 mph, that is only 200 hours and if you drive for six hours per day that comes to 34 days our of a 365 day year!

There is no question that the best ride in any motorhome is the air ride that can be found in most pushers (not all) and the air brakes have a small advantage also, though gas rigs today also have excellent brake systems that have very little problem. In general, diesels can have a higher cargo capacity but be very careful because those at the lower end of the market frequently have less than do newer gas chassis. Just because the gross weight is more, that don't equate to more cargo capacity as a diesel chassis weighs far more than gas of the same size.

To me, it is mostly a choice of budget. We managed to live 11+ years and travel pretty much the entire country in a gas powered motorhome with none of the problems that the diesel promoters like to tell of. If my budget was very large, I too would buy a pusher as the ride and handling for them is better and if equipped with an engine retarder the downhill braking is also much superior. In general they also have much better climbing ability that the gas chassis, but watch that carefully as our Banks equipped V-10 has passed many a pusher while traveling mountain grades. If the pusher is equipped with one of the larger displacement engines that are pretty common today, it should out perform the gas chassis available today but the smaller diesels do not as they still have far more weight to carry and so it isn't the always situation that some would have you believe.

With recent fuel prices, I highly doubt that the difference in mileage is nearly enough to offset the tremendous difference in price between the two. Maintenance on a diesel is less frequent but if you pay a shop to do it the diesel maintenance will cost far more than gas. For me, I did most of my own routine maintenance and so that cost was minimal and the filters that I needed were available at Wal-Mart or any auto parts store.

There is no gas powered coach that can begin to compare to those in the $300K(new) and up price range because that kind of luxury is very heavy and even today there is no gas chassis that is built to carry the weight required. That same thing is true for coaches that are more than about 36-38' in length. If you want the longer coaches, then diesel is the best, if not the only choice.

To me, the key is each person's budget. There is no doubt that the pusher is the nicest choice for travel on the highways, but it will never save you money, particularly if you consider the purchase price into the mix. While they do sell for more when you finish with one, in terms of the share of the purchase price paid it is really no better deal. But where it does come to play is luxury. If you compare motorhomes of equal quality and construction, the diesel will cost you at least $30K more than the gas chassis but it has a much nicer ride. They are much nicer to travel in then a gas chassis, but it is much like considering a new Ford car. The Taurus will serve you very well for transportation, but it will never be a Lincoln MKS! The difference is price and what the nicer ride is worth to you.

EDIT: I should also mention that a diesel rig usually has a much better towing capability than a gasser. Most gas chassis are limited to towing less than 5K as a tow vehicle and even less as a trailer, due to available weight on the rear axle. If you want to tow a heavy trailer, or even most of the heavier cars and SUV's then the pusher comes out ahead. If you plan to tow a CR-V or something similar, that is not usually an issue, but should be considered.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:36 PM   #49

I've had both. You can rationalize all you want, but the fact is; it's an apples to oranges comparison.

My gas coach on a Workhorse W22 chassis had upgraded shocks, steer-safe and track bar. It was the best handling gas coach I had driven. But, it had it's moments. On steep downhills it quickly became a white knuckle affair. Keeping speed in check required a lot of concentration to avoid overheating the brakes. Passing semis or cross winds also caused momentary feelings of loss of control and much fatigue while driving. Like I said, this was the best handling gasser I had driven. But, that doesn't mean it's best, just the best I knew.

I now have a 40' DP. There's no way I would ever own a gasser again. The 2 stage Jacobs brake makes steep descents a non-issue. The air ride suspension is far superior to steel leaf or coil springs. Cross winds are noticeable, but I've never felt like I was struggling for control. Passing Semis aren't even noticed.

Just my $0.02.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:36 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
This is probably the best opinion on diesel vs gasser that I've read.

That's a very good post.

As far as what some other commentators have said about their experience, let me post mine. I have owned 6 coaches; 2 class C gassers, 2 class A gassers and 2 DP, 1 was a tag. I have also driven 30+ other coaches long distances, whether they be rentals, moving a coach for a friend, or borrowing them. With that being said I have driven a few white-knuckle coaches including one that was a DP that was blown all over the road. If I based my whole experience on that one DP I would tell you that DP's suck and to stay very far away from them but luckily that was a one-off.

The fact is that there are chassis that give better rides in both gas and diesel and chassis that will seem like they are trying to kill you (mostly in gassers). You weed these out by test-driving your coach, passing trucks, having them pass you and a whole bunch of other tests. If you get stuck with a less than desirable driving experience you have no-one to blame but yourself. But to disparage all gassers because of your one-off experience in nonsensical.

You might be surprised to find out that I sold my DP and bought a gasser it for full-timing Unlike what some have said I have had my "too large" 39' gasser, that is "overloaded" by full-timing, "tow a car" to 13,000 feet with no problems. The fact is that I have taken it up many western mountain passes and to date this rickety death-trap of a gasser, hasn't blown up, the motor has yet to scream like a banshee, nor have I have snails or tortoise's pass me. When going down mountain passes it doesn't seem to hurtle down out of control with smoking red hot brakes on the verge of failure or us vanishing over the cliff due to it's difficulty in controlling it in mountain crosswinds.

In fact the stock chassis (W24) and motor (8.1) on my coach has been a joy to drive, passing trucks is one-handed maneuver, going up mountains is easy with the lower revving 8.1 coupled to a 6 speed Allison transmission. Going down is no hassle with the grade brake and I have watched on more than one occasion DP's getting pushed about by winds more than we have.

Granted nothing drove like my tag axle (don't let anyone fool you, all tag axles have a built in force field generator that deflects wind ) and yes my single axle DP drove better than this "beast" but to hear the comments made by some here makes you wonder why gassers are even licensed to travel the roads if they are so unmanageable.

<<RANT OVER>>
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:03 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
That's a very good post. As far as what some other commentators have said about their experience, let me post mine. I have owned 6 coaches; 2 class C gassers, 2 class A gassers and 2 DP, 1 was a tag. I have also driven 30+ other coaches long distances, whether they be rentals, moving a coach for a friend, or borrowing them. With that being said I have driven a few white-knuckle coaches including one that was a DP that was blown all over the road. If I based my whole experience on that one DP I would tell you that DP's suck and to stay very far away from them but luckily that was a one-off. The fact is that there are chassis that give better rides in both gas and diesel and chassis that will seem like they are trying to kill you (mostly in gassers). You weed these out by test-driving your coach, passing trucks, having them pass you and a whole bunch of other tests. If you get stuck with a less than desirable driving experience you have no-one to blame but yourself. But to disparage all gassers because of your one-off experience in nonsensical. You might be surprised to find out that I sold my DP and bought a gasser it for full-timing Unlike what some have said I have had my "too large" 39' gasser, that is "overloaded" by full-timing, "tow a car" to 13,000 feet with no problems. The fact is that I have taken it up many western mountain passes and to date this rickety death-trap of a gasser, hasn't blown up, the motor has yet to scream like a banshee, nor have I have snails or tortoise's pass me. When going down mountain passes it doesn't seem to hurtle down out of control with smoking red hot brakes on the verge of failure or us vanishing over the cliff due to it's difficulty in controlling it in mountain crosswinds. In fact the stock chassis (W24) and motor (8.1) on my coach has been a joy to drive, passing trucks is one-handed maneuver, going up mountains is easy with the lower revving 8.1 coupled to a 6 speed Allison transmission. Going down is no hassle with the grade brake and I have watched on more than one occasion DP's getting pushed about by winds more than we have. Granted nothing drove like my tag axle (don't let anyone fool you, all tag axles have a built in force field generator that deflects wind ) and yes my single axle DP drove better than this "beast" but to hear the comments made by some here makes you wonder why gassers are even licensed to travel the roads if they are so unmanageable. <<RANT OVER>>
I'm not sure how you can tell that a DP you see on the road is being pushed around more than you? Please explain?
Old 02-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #52

Quote:
That's a very good post.

As far as what some other commentators have said about their experience, let me post mine. I have owned 6 coaches; 2 class C gassers, 2 class A gassers and 2 DP, 1 was a tag. I have also driven 30+ other coaches long distances, whether they be rentals, moving a coach for a friend, or borrowing them. With that being said I have driven a few white-knuckle coaches including one that was a DP that was blown all over the road. If I based my whole experience on that one DP I would tell you that DP's suck and to stay very far away from them but luckily that was a one-off.

The fact is that there are chassis that give better rides in both gas and diesel and chassis that will seem like they are trying to kill you (mostly in gassers). You weed these out by test-driving your coach, passing trucks, having them pass you and a whole bunch of other tests. If you get stuck with a less than desirable driving experience you have no-one to blame but yourself. But to disparage all gassers because of your one-off experience in nonsensical.

You might be surprised to find out that I sold my DP and bought a gasser it for full-timing Unlike what some have said I have had my "too large" 39' gasser, that is "overloaded" by full-timing, "tow a car" to 13,000 feet with no problems. The fact is that I have taken it up many western mountain passes and to date this rickety death-trap of a gasser, hasn't blown up, the motor has yet to scream like a banshee, nor have I have snails or tortoise's pass me. When going down mountain passes it doesn't seem to hurtle down out of control with smoking red hot brakes on the verge of failure or us vanishing over the cliff due to it's difficulty in controlling it in mountain crosswinds.

In fact the stock chassis (W24) and motor (8.1) on my coach has been a joy to drive, passing trucks is one-handed maneuver, going up mountains is easy with the lower revving 8.1 coupled to a 6 speed Allison transmission. Going down is no hassle with the grade brake and I have watched on more than one occasion DP's getting pushed about by winds more than we have.

Granted nothing drove like my tag axle (don't let anyone fool you, all tag axles have a built in force field generator that deflects wind ) and yes my single axle DP drove better than this "beast" but to hear the comments made by some here makes you wonder why gassers are even licensed to travel the roads if they are so unmanageable.

<<RANT OVER>>
I've never driven a DP, but I can tell you that I'm very happy with my gasser. I think when it comes to gasser suspension they all need to be tweaked to each particular coach. I thought my suspension was a bit lose when I first got it and ended up doing the CHF along with the rear tigertrak and that pretty much improved it 100%. I think that the issue is that the MH manufacturers do not tweak the suspension for each individual model of coach. One may ride perfectly fine totally stock while another may need a tweak.

I also don't get why people say their gassers lack power. I can pass 18 wheelers and cars all day long going up hill...at the cost of a couple of miles per hour, but the power is there. I agree that the V10 is loud while it's revved up, but it feels great. Maybe if I were older it would bother me, but I've always been a gear head and love engines roar.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
I can pass 18 wheelers and cars all day long going up hill...at the cost of a couple of miles per hour, but the power is there. I agree that the V10 is loud while it's revved up, but it feels great. Maybe if I were older it would bother me, but I've always been a gear head and love engines roar.
Is this fully loaded, full fuel, full fresh water, and towing a 4000 lb car
Old 02-13-2014, 04:40 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Is this fully loaded, full fuel, full fresh water, and towing a 4000 lb car
Fully loaded, about 1/3 water, plenty of gas, two adults, two kids, and a big dog. Haven't driven it with a toad though. You'd have to hear from someone that uses a toad, but it felt like it could pull a toad with authority. I wasn't even close to full throttle going up the hills. This was on our trip from OH to FL down 75.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:54 PM   #55

Nothing drives like a DP. I have had both & will never go back to gas for a motorhome unless it was a smaller class C. Gassers are getting better in many aspects but diesel's live well & drive better.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #56

Quote:
That's a very good post.

<<RANT OVER>>
StevenNSteph, you and Kirk (whom I believe is the originator of the post on Escapees that you point to) may try to convince newbies that gassers are the way to go. I can only go by my personal experience. I drove several gassers before buying the best I'd experienced. It's not in the same ballpark as a diesel pusher with air suspension. Period.

Check out my blog where I chronicle my experience if you care to (www.flyingthekoop.com). I loved my Gulfstream with a Workhorse W22, but it's not going to compete with the driveability of a quality diesel pusher.

Granted, the DP costs more initially and maintenance costs are high, but I wouldn't go back. It was an expensive decision to trade in so soon after hitting the road, but my advice is to try to buy right the first time.

Koop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, diesel, gas