Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2014, 11:11 AM   #71

Gas Versus Diesel Class A

Well hello again! I guess there are infinite answers on this one, to the thread that stated to fly and stay in hotels, guess what! That is what I do on a weekly basis I have over two million actual flown miles so as you can see I'm sort of sick of flying driving to my destination instead of going to the airport is going to be a relaxing change no more flight delays and or over charging ticket prices!! One question, reading all of this if I do get a gas class A will I need to add stabilisers so that MH handles better in the open highway? If I do buy a DP I do not have to invest on any type of stabilisers??? Is this correct?? Also is their one brand that handles better then the other on a gasser??? I have looked like I mentioned at the Newmar Canyon Star but I have also looked at the Winnebago Adventurer 37F I need a bath and half model would these two MH drive the same?? Maybe someone that has one out there can share their experience. Thanks again!!!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2014, 11:41 AM   #72

Carolina Campers
I have never had an issue driving my gasser. That stabilizer jargon is just promoted by those that spent the money and don't want to think it was a waste... Mine handles fine just the way it came from the factory.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandcanyon View Post
Well hello again! I guess there are infinite answers on this one, to the thread that stated to fly and stay in hotels, guess what! That is what I do on a weekly basis I have over two million actual flown miles so as you can see I'm sort of sick of flying driving to my destination instead of going to the airport is going to be a relaxing change no more flight delays and or over charging ticket prices!! One question, reading all of this if I do get a gas class A will I need to add stabilisers so that MH handles better in the open highway? If I do buy a DP I do not have to invest on any type of stabilisers??? Is this correct?? Also is their one brand that handles better then the other on a gasser??? I have looked like I mentioned at the Newmar Canyon Star but I have also looked at the Winnebago Adventurer 37F I need a bath and half model would these two MH drive the same?? Maybe someone that has one out there can share their experience. Thanks again!!!!!
We have a Fleetwood Bounder gasser and we love it. We've not added anything (stabilizers, etc.) and find that it rides and drives great. Check out the Bounder 35K or the Southwind; Fleetwood builds a quality motorhome.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:42 PM   #74

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Not sure what that flying comment had to do with this thread or even this forum? There are forums for travel that I find interesting as well for those like us who travel a lot.
As far as our first Motor Home, I factory ordered a 2008 Discovery and I felt it wandered right from new when semis passed. It also seemed to pull when the roads were wet when I braked too which I couldn't seem to get fixed. I noticed a huge difference when I drove our Spartan Tag axle. Doesn't wander at all is much less tiring to drive. We traded up for
Old 02-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #75

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcgill View Post
Not sure what that flying comment had to do with this thread or even this forum? There are forums for travel that I find interesting as well for those like us who travel a lot. As far as our first Motor Home, I factory ordered a 2008 Discovery and I felt it wandered right from new when semis passed. It also seemed to pull when the roads were wet when I braked too which I couldn't seem to get fixed. I noticed a huge difference when I drove our Spartan Tag axle. Doesn't wander at all is much less tiring to drive. We traded up for
Hit send by accident!
Anyways we traded up mainly for the convenience of having a bath and a half for our twins who seem to think they need the barroom at the same time!! I usually just go to the public showers, no squeegee needed!!
I have to admit, as shallow as it sounds, I just love the look of a tag axle diesel.
One big thing I would consider, non air ride coaches usually sit higher and seems like they would take on more wind. I know they usually sit a lot higher in a campground due to not being able to lower the chassis. Thanks for starting this post, very entertaining. My first post on this topic supported the "buy new" theory which you clarified and reiterated later....thanks!! I have always bought new cars, boats and homes too. It certainly should not be construed as bragging. I know people with a lot of money that just wouldn't by any depreciating item new, and love to rub it in your face how much they saved!!! I
The only thing you will regret about buying a MH whatever you get is that you didn't get it sooner!
Old 02-14-2014, 01:25 PM   #76

I would agree with the coments suggesting a preowned higher end diesel pusher. Much more value and hopefully the bugs are worked out.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
I have never had an issue driving my gasser. That stabilizer jargon is just promoted by those that spent the money and don't want to think it was a waste... Mine handles fine just the way it came from the factory.
I don't know which coach you have, but I can tell you from first hand experience that between the front CHF and the rear bar, my F53 chassis handles better. I too didn't have an issue driving it the way it came from the factory, but just like on cars, there is always room for improvement. I knew from the beginning that I was going to have issues with crosswinds, etc. Heck, you can feel it even with my 1/2 ton truck. I don't know how the DP air suspension works, but I'm assuming it senses sway or roll and corrects it. Since we don't have that in our gassers, the only thing you can do is make the suspension more sporty by making the sway bar tighter with the CHF, and getting rid of most of the tail end swing by marrying the axle to the frame.

Don't knock it 'till you rock it
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #78

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
I don't know which coach you have, but I can tell you from first hand experience that between the front CHF and the rear bar, my F53 chassis handles better. I too didn't have an issue driving it the way it came from the factory, but just like on cars, there is always room for improvement. I knew from the beginning that I was going to have issues with crosswinds, etc. Heck, you can feel it even with my 1/2 ton truck. I don't know how the DP air suspension works, but I'm assuming it senses sway or roll and corrects it. Since we don't have that in our gassers, the only thing you can do is make the suspension more sporty by making the sway bar tighter with the CHF, and getting rid of most of the tail end swing by marrying the axle to the frame. Don't knock it 'till you rock it
That's fine. But I'll save the money since I have driven in all types of weather and it drives just fine. I know that others find that their confidence is better with one but I don't need it.

Thanks
Old 02-14-2014, 11:37 PM   #79

Maybe not as much now as say 10-15 or even plus years ago. Coach builders would order the chassis differently between low and high end gas coaches. The high end coach with say an F53 would have more handling improving hardware, even better shocks, then the lower entry level coaches. They also may have bad chassis to length ratios, which also added to 'tail wag'.

Same thing on DP. Even today, lower entry level DP's could have poor handling chassis.

So OP, go drive them and ask specific questions on the chassis under the rig.

You want new, great, but to get the same level of coach quality buid and materials in a DP - expect to pay up to do so.

I did make mods to our 98 F53 chassis - and it did make a big difference in handling(no question about this, a fact). But, it was not an upper end gasser to start with, and Fleetwood saved some money by ordering a lower component chassis from Ford.

Good luck on your hunt,
Smitty
Old 02-15-2014, 05:33 PM   #80

"Stabilizers" can be many different products. I think the most effective modification for front gas engined, rear leaf spring chassis; assuming there is a handling problem, is a Track Bar (AKA Panhard Bar). This eliminates the tail wagging problem that can occur when the leaf springs don't sufficiently resist side-to-side movement.

Many owners are satisfied with stock chassis; both gas and diesel. Other factors like weight distribution, suspension wear, alignment, etc, etc, etc can contribute to driving problems for gas or Diesel. This is kinda off-topic, so I suggest you search some of the many posts for handling and handling products. There are many different ones, and they usually address a specific issue. Don't get caught up in doing a lot of changes at once, because the individual effects can't be evaluated.

Quote:
...One question, reading all of this if I do get a gas class A will I need to add stabilisers so that MH handles better in the open highway? If I do buy a DP I do not have to invest on any type of stabilisers??? Is this correct?? Also is their one brand that handles better then the other on a gasser??? I have looked like I mentioned at the Newmar Canyon Star but I have also looked at the Winnebago Adventurer 37F ....
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:14 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
I've had both. You can rationalize all you want, but the fact is; it's an apples to oranges comparison.

My gas coach on a Workhorse W22 chassis had upgraded shocks, steer-safe and track bar. It was the best handling gas coach I had driven. But, it had it's moments. On steep downhills it quickly became a white knuckle affair. Keeping speed in check required a lot of concentration to avoid overheating the brakes. Passing semis or cross winds also caused momentary feelings of loss of control and much fatigue while driving. Like I said, this was the best handling gasser I had driven. But, that doesn't mean it's best, just the best I knew.

I now have a 40' DP. There's no way I would ever own a gasser again. The 2 stage Jacobs brake makes steep descents a non-issue. The air ride suspension is far superior to steel leaf or coil springs. Cross winds are noticeable, but I've never felt like I was struggling for control. Passing Semis aren't even noticed.

Just my $0.02.

Excellent comparison. We have had almost the same experience as you and I agree with you completely. We loved our gasser after I did some work on the suspension much like yours had. We have been fortunate to be able to afford the handling and luxury afforded by our DP. I would not like to go back, but would if I had to. We love the "life on the road" that our MH gives us.
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #82

You can buy a brand new Winnebago Adventurer 37F which is a bath and a half for $129,000 I just traded my 2011 37F (2011) for a Winnebago Forza 38R bath and a half which I paid $177,000. The Adventurer I believe is a better coach that the Newmar, I looked at the Sport coach and did not appear to be well built, Check out the Forza or the Adventurer I think you will love both of them. I obtained an extended warranty for 7 years from Wholesale Warranties for $5000 which covers everything including tire and wheels.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:13 PM   #83

Quote:
Never needed stabilizers on my 37F. I did put a Banks performance system which added 105 Horses and 95 foot pounds of tork, my MPG went up 14%.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:21 PM   #84

If you drive the Forza it is awesome and better than any of the DP'S I drove. The Forza is 50 times better than the Sport coach I drove it and it was average, the Forza has more storage, a much better interior, and it has a second booth dinette which also has a bunk bed that drops down from the ceiling or you can turn it into an office as it has all the plugs and works with the inverter.

Tags
class a, diesel, gas