Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2014, 03:54 PM   #99

We must be from a different planet. We didn't find anything sad with FR and why we went with the GT. We weren't looking for a home though. We were looking for an RV.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2014, 03:56 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
What is the five star?
It's the dark side of the force. It makes the V10 into a Jedi

Got a V10 6.8L » 5 Star Tuning
Old 02-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvnerd1971 View Post
I have a 2013 thor gas and it drives straight with no wandering big trucks have no affect on it maybe they did some improvements over the years I did order the 5 star the downshifting is annoying
+1 The shift on the stock V10 has had too many power drinks. I need to convince DW that I need the 5-Star.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #102

Country Coach Owners Club
Drop about $150K in a nice used Country Coach or Foretravel and use the other $30K to fix it up anything you might find wrong with it. Those two coaches are well built, well designed and will last you for years and years.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:09 PM   #103

I got tired of reading all the improvements it does and ordered one
Rvnerd1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:45 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvnerd1971 View Post
I got tired of reading all the improvements it does and ordered one
Let us know how it goes.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:09 AM   #105

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
Quote:
Originally Posted by al2ride View Post
We must be from a different planet. We didn't find anything sad with FR and why we went with the GT. We weren't looking for a home though. We were looking for an RV.
Actually the GT Was better than the Berkshire and the charleston

If we were looking for just an RV it would have been looked at more seriously but the three units I saw were not great examples of a product.

Full body pain with obvious tape lines, raised and not straight.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:48 PM   #106

A High End Gas Class A or A Low End Diesel Pusher

Hello Friends! Again thanks for all of the great suggestions. One question if I plan to use the MH only part time let's say I will drive it 5K to 6K miles per year would I still be better off buying a gas or a diesel, on a gas MH I can probably do most of maintenance, I actually have a 2001 Ford Excursion with the 2 valve V-10 I do most of the routine maintenance like oil changes, anti-freeze changes even the rear end fluid change my self were I have never worked on a diesel, plus I know at least on my current V-10 it only takes 6 quarts of oil instead of the 24 quarts on the diesel, what are your thoughts on this one.
Grandcanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:11 AM   #107
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandcanyon View Post
Hello Friends! Again thanks for all of the great suggestions. One question if I plan to use the MH only part time let's say I will drive it 5K to 6K miles per year would I still be better off buying a gas or a diesel, on a gas MH I can probably do most of maintenance, I actually have a 2001 Ford Excursion with the 2 valve V-10 I do most of the routine maintenance like oil changes, anti-freeze changes even the rear end fluid change my self were I have never worked on a diesel, plus I know at least on my current V-10 it only takes 6 quarts of oil instead of the 24 quarts on the diesel, what are your thoughts on this one.
Since RV's are toys, they are really more of an emotional purchase than straight logic. In the gas vs diesel debate - the two motorhome chassis types are very different - NOT just the fact one is gas and the other one is diesel. Yes, it sounds like in your scenario, 5k to 6k per year driving makes more logical sense in a gas rig....but then YOU may not be happy driving the gas rig. YOU need to test drive both types and make the choice based upon how you FEEL. Because it's how emotionally happy you are with your purchase that counts, and will reflect whether you use it often or not. Another example is the new vs used debate. Everyone will tell you that used is the logical choice because you will get more for the money spent - no debate here.....but then there are folks who crave the feeling of being the first one to tear the plastic off the mattress, or the first one to stain the carpet. The choice is an EMOTIONAL one - not based upon logic. SO ultimately the cliche is true "Buy whatever makes YOU happy" !
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:18 AM   #108

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Which is more important, comfort or budget? As I was floating along on my air suspension today, which I have not been able to use lately, I was reminded how much nicer it is to have such a smooth ride with a flat floor and engine noise in the rear.

DP will cost more so the question is not which is better but whether the additional cost is both manageable and worth it to you. At my age comfort is much more important than when I was pulling a pop up 35 years ago.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:00 AM   #109

Quote:
You are very similar to me, except I can tear one down and rebuild it. Been a gear head all of my life, but have never touched a diesel. To be honest, I don't think a diesel would be that hard either...it's just a bit different and could be learned.

The way I look at it is that the average person will either need a home or an RV. If you plan on living in it, then get as much as you can afford with the mindset that this will be your home. If you are looking for a recreational vehicle, then get something practical to allow you and your family to have fun. To some, a recreational vehicle could be a pop-up camper, but to others it needs to be the ultimate DP. To us, an entry level gasser was more than enough to cruise around in and have fun. We will also put ~5 or 6k miles per year.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:04 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
At my age comfort is much more important than when I was pulling a pop up 35 years ago.
Well said Jerry. We are in our 40s so we are still okay with the V10 growl. That may not be the case in our 60s though. Or maybe it will be since I will most likely keep losing my hearing
Old 04-23-2014, 10:22 AM   #111

recommendation

Quote:
Hello! I hope you can be of help, we are in the process of looking for a class A we hope to buy by the end of 2014. Currently we are looking at a Newmar gas class A Canyon Star model 3953 bath and half MSRP $180K, means that with a discount the price would be around $135K to $145K I'm also looking at a 2014 Sportscoach Cross Country 404RB diesel pusher with a 340 Cummins, MSRP $230K with discount from the big Dallas dealer price would be in the $155K to $160K for the unit, they both have about the same options but I'm aware that the Newmar probably has much better quality materials, but from what I have read the ride of a diesel cannot be compared to the ride of the gas model, can someone shed some light at this question, also does anyone out there currently own a Sportcoach? Any issues that I should be aware of?? Thanks in advance.
i went from a gas coach to a diesel just last month--i drove my 2001 holiday rambler admiral for 42,000 miles and upgraded to a 2006 country coach inspire-400 hp--what a dream of a coach--quality materials all the way--no comparison to a gas coach--my recommendation--buy a diesel pusher 400 hp--2006thru2008 --are the best years---holiday rambler--beaver--country coach--monaco--all great-- interior finishes compared to others are far superior--you can get a great coach from $110,000 to $135,000--sam
go49ers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, diesel, gas