Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2016, 11:22 PM   #1

A Hypothetical MH Storage Question

Let's say, Hypothetically, someone was to buy a brand spankin' new 38 foot Class A. Maybe a Newmar, for conversation purposes only. And it wont fit in the covered parking area where our current, I mean...it's not possible to park it in a covered area. So it might have to sit in the hot sun and kind of cold winter rain for maybe 2 years until the property owners could sell there place and get something else that would accommodate a vehicle this large. And if the owners of said brand spankin' new MH used UV protectant polish all over the MH, and UV protectant on all the roof plastic, would the MH suffer much from these 2 years in the elements? Again, hypothetically speaking.

OK, OK, ya'll broke me down. Could we do this? I'm not forking out over 6 figures only to have 2 years of weather degrade a new MH. Or should we just wait until we sell the property and downsize into a place more suitable for slowly aging OFs?

B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2016, 11:25 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our '02 DSDP spent it's entire 13 years uncovered with no problems. The present Magna will be treated the same way.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:27 PM   #3

DID you use UV protectant? I've been to Vancouver many times. Completely different weather. You're lucky!
Old 09-18-2016, 11:46 PM   #4

We live in Southern California and ours has sat outside since we bought it. I wash it about 6 times a year and wax it at least twice a year sometimes 3 times. I have only done the roof with 303 once, and so far it still looks better than the day we bought it. It really doesn't get much shade, and some part of it is in the sun all day. So I don't think you will have a problem.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:47 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My MH is 8 years old, always parked outside and looks new. I keep it washed and have it waxed every January. The two "W" decals could stand replacing.

We live in Northern California.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:53 PM   #6

Hmmm. Looks like my wife is getting closer and closer to her dream MH. Woe is me!
Old 09-18-2016, 11:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Dubya View Post
Hmmm. Looks like my wife is getting closer and closer to her dream MH. Woe is me!
Give Tom Lindstrom a call, it will definitely be worth your time. He has one on his lot now and he can order anything you want. Great guy to deal with and his whole Crew will treat you great.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:01 AM   #8

M&C...I'm assuming he's in SoCal. The one we're looking at is in Manteca. What dealership are we talking about?
Old 09-19-2016, 12:19 AM   #9

Tom Lindstrom is in Moorpark Ca, you can look on his website Tom Lindstrom RV Inc. I know it may be a little bit of a trip for you, but I have referred numerous people to him and they have been very pleased with Tom and his crew. He has a small dealership, with very little overhead, but is one of the Top Ten Newmar dealers in the US. He does a lot of special orders. Several of the people I have referred to him are from out of state, but found it worth their while to deal with a guy like Tom. He is really ethical, honest and a man of his word. He by far gave us the best price, but most importantly treated us great both before and after the sale.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:29 AM   #10

Mike (I assume it's Mike I'm talking to), that 3710 is a 2017 model. It looks identical to the 2016 3710 we're looking at, top to bottom and front to rear. But it's 50K more than the 2016, 'cept it has one or two things the 2016 ain't got. They sure are purdy!!!
Old 09-19-2016, 12:41 AM   #11

Yes, this is Mike you are talking to. You mean the MSRP is a 50K difference, or is the price you got is 50K less than what Tom's MSRP is. Tom orders them with a lot of equipment that some others don't, but what you get you will really enjoy. If you go on his website and put in an inquiry, Tom will personally call you back. He is the only person you will talk to regarding price or ordering. Once he calls you back and answers any questions you may have and/or gives you a price he will not continue to bother you by constantly calling, unless you call/email him with additional questions. It's worth a call, even if you don't buy from him, but most of the people I have referred to him, have bought from Tom once they talked to him, or visited his Dealership. My guess is he will be very competitive in the OTD price.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:43 AM   #12

Thanx for all the info Mike. I really appreciate it!
Old 09-19-2016, 12:58 AM   #13

I just looked at that one again, and it is almost identical to our 2014(except for the colors and king bed), with basically the same amenities. Ours was the first year with the new body style which mirrors the Dutch Star. About the only extras that one has that ours doesn't is the larger generator, power passenger seat, and TV over the drivers area. Back in 2014 the MRSP was about 168K, and this one is 183K, so three years about a 12k difference(that's minus the extra upgrades), not too bad. Good luck with whatever you decide, they are beautiful MH's.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:17 AM   #14

My first two RVs were stored outside, even the DP.
I currently have a 30' gasser. Did not purchase it until the the covered storage was built. Spent 75 k on the rv, 10k on the storage building.

If you are going to full time it then it does not matter. You will be exposed virtually all the time.

I use mine 2-3 months per year. Would not own it if I did not have enclosed storage. Plan to keep it for 10-15 years.

Two years outside, nothing will fall off.

You plan to buy a nice motor home. Covered storage protects sealants, gaskets, paint, logos, tires, curtains, exposed plastic and PVC parts.
However, if you wait 2 years to get it, you will miss 2 years of RVing.
RVs can be refurbished or replaced. Comes down to what is more valuable to you.

Tags
storage