Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2015, 07:20 AM   #1

A little disappointed in Newmar

As we search for that perfect motorhome for us we determined we will be ordering a Newmar canyon star 3712 next summer. Love the floor plan. It was between that or the 2016 Winnebago sightseer 33c.
I downloaded the order form for the Newmar and found the cabinet stiles and rails are vinyl wrapped, the Winnebago is wood vineer I could get the Newmar with the wood vineer but at the extra cost of$2,476 ! The Newmar has single pain Windows didn't see an up grade on the list, the Winnebago comes withdouble pain Windows.i like the Mcd type shades standard in the Winnebago if I want them in the Newmar it's $ 1,674 other wise it comes with the pleated day nite shades. The Winnebago comes with a walk on fiberglass roof it's $ 1,758 extra on the Newmar.That's $5,908 extra just to get what the Winnebago already has! Kinda feels like a bate and switch, if we didn't like the Newmar floor plan so much I think we would go with the Winnebago .
Maybe I'm just being anal but vinyl wrapped cabinets......really??? You know like the book cases at biglots , that really surprised me. If you get a scratch on the vinyl there's nothing you can do with it, wood vineer you can at least sand it and refinish .
Sorry about the rant but sometimes do you really get what ya pay for?

A little miffed, Steve W.
Wingrydr57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2015, 07:48 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I hear you. Just need to compare apples to apples price wise, as you are. Then factor in service, quality, etc. And remembering floorplan is always way up there in selection criteria.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I hear you. Just need to compare apples to apples price wise, as you are. Then factor in service, quality, etc. And remembering floorplan is always way up there in selection criteria.
For sure! The dealer is only about 150 miles away and gets good reviews, so that helps a lot in the decision making process . I guess there will always be some give and take.
It's gonna be a long winter, waiting until July to order then getting it the end of sept. It takes 6 to 8 weeks to build.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:13 AM   #4

I know what you are saying. If we could have, we would have liked to mix and match from manufacturers on what was standard and what were options. I agree that the floor plan should be top priority and then fill in around that with your priorities.

All I can say is that on our Ventana we are glad we paid the premium for cabinets and other items. I believe their craftmanship ranks up there with the highest quality in the industry.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/52mdx5iqe...5YqhQFIOa?dl=0
Old 11-26-2015, 08:16 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
You've listed what isn't standard in the Newmar vs the Winnebago, but not what the price difference would be once you added those options to the Newmar.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
You've listed what isn't standard in the Newmar vs the Winnebago, but not what the price difference would be once you added those options to the Newmar.
If we were to add the upgrades I mentioned plus the upgrades we are going to order like washer dryer , washer dryer prep, free standing table with desk,rear ladder,& side cameras, all those things added together would add over 10 k to the Newmar price which is about 20k more than the Winnebago .
Old 11-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Actually double pane frameless windows are standard according to the website and the Canyon Star brochure. Thats the reason you don't see an upgrade option.

I do agree that Newmars pricing seems to be high when compared to competition. I believe Newmar is furnishing a quality product, but as I've been shopping, I'm finding them to be higher than comparables. I do like a couple of the Canyon Star floor plans though. The Newmar I have now has the vinyl wrapped cabinet frames. They are ok, but as you mention, if it gets damaged, then there isn't a whole lot you can do. Doors and drawer fronts are real however. Several other manufacturers have gone to fiberglass roof and MCD shades. Maybe Newmar will follow, however, I'm afraid they would hike the prices even more. I think the price differential is even more obvious when comparing diesel pushers. No way could I afford even a Ventana. However, looking at some of the competitors, there are some very nice diesels out there at a much more affordable price point. Are they equals? Not sure. One has to decide that for themselves.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Actually double pane frameless windows are standard according to the website and the Canyon Star brochure. Thats the reason you don't see an upgrade option.

I do agree that Newmars pricing seems to be high when compared to competition. I believe Newmar is furnishing a quality product, but as I've been shopping, I'm finding them to be higher than comparables. I do like a couple of the Canyon Star floor plans though. The Newmar I have now has the vinyl wrapped cabinet frames. They are ok, but as you mention, if it gets damaged, then there isn't a whole lot you can do. Doors and drawer fronts are real however. Several other manufacturers have gone to fiberglass roof and MCD shades. Maybe Newmar will follow, however, I'm afraid they would hike the prices even more. I think the price differential is even more obvious when comparing diesel pushers. No way could I afford even a Ventana. However, looking at some of the competitors, there are some very nice diesels out there at a much more affordable price point. Are they equals? Not sure. One has to decide that for themselves.
jt
Thanks for your input! And thanks for the info on the Windows too.
Yeah if we could afford it we would go for the Dutch star pusher !
Old 11-26-2015, 09:34 AM   #9

I had my 03 Mountain Aire with a Brite-Tek roof and never had a problem while owning it. I just sold it last May. After reading of some of Winnebago roof problems I would really be glad to have the Brite-Tek. The warranty is 12 or 13 years.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:39 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsinmich View Post
I had my 03 Mountain Aire with a Brite-Tek roof and never had a problem while owning it. I just sold it last May. After reading of some of Winnebago roof problems I would really be glad to have the Brite-Tek. The warranty is 12 or 13 years.
My Kountry Star has the Brite-Tek roof also and it appears to still be in great condition at 10 yr old (however somewhat dirty). I guess in my mind however the fiberglass roof is preferable. But that just may be me.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:42 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
No way could I afford even a Ventana. However, looking at some of the competitors, there are some very nice diesels out there at a much more affordable price point. Are they equals? Not sure. One has to decide that for themselves.
jt
We looked at a number of coaches prior to buying ours. It was tough in some cases to tell the difference, fairly easy in others to see a difference.

The differences seemed to be consistent from model to model in each manufacturer.

IMO the big reason for price difference in Newmar is the configurability they offer during construction. They seem to be very accommodating. To be able to offer the customization on an assembly line will add cost to each and every coach on the line.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:42 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Whatever you decide, I wish you good luck, fun times, and safe travel. Having never purchased a new coach, we have not been faced with those choices.

However, let me say this: Years ago we bought a three year old Winnebago Brave 3 years old, 2,800 miles. Loved it, and had many good miles. 6 years later sold it.

One year later decided we wanted another motorhome. Knew nothing about Newmar, found a nice one, 3 years old 22,000 miles. The salesman was over the top about Newmar, so we went home and I spend about two weeks doing homework on Newmar. Was impressed so we bought it.

To make a long story short; we just bought our second Newmar. And while looking for it, I refused to seriously consider any other brand (since Prevost, Newell, etc. are out of our price range). The Brave was fine, but the Newmar was head and shoulders better In terms of quality, and craftsmanship.
Old 11-26-2015, 11:10 AM   #13

We almost got a Winne over the Newmar. There was plenty we liked BETTER about the Winne over the Newmar. Either would have been awesome it just came down to which items were more important and some had to be dismissed. Don't think you could go wrong with either manufacturer.
twojayhawks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 11:46 AM   #14

Our new to us Dutch Star has the Brite-Tek roof. I know for a fact this coach spent it life in the Desert. The roof it still in like new condition. One thing I really like about it is in a heavy rain it mush quieter than the fiberglass roof in the Gulf Stream we had.
The fiber glass roof in the rain would drive us nuts could not even sleep in heavy rain.

Tags
newmar