Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2016, 09:05 PM   #1

A Little Help from some Friends.

My wife and I are newbies to the group and RVing. I have enjoyed reading the helpful posts many have made. It's helping to steer me in the best direction, and I appreciate the friendliness of the group.
We are planning to become full time RVers later this year and to travel mostly between short to medium stays, six weeks might be a long stay. I want to put a rack on the back to carry my Honda Silverwing.
From reading posts, it seems that longer class A's drive smoother. My question is, at what length will the improved ride be noticed. I understand there may be several factors to be considered.
Also how much of a difference does it make in practical terms between driving and parking a 37' versus a 40'? At what point does the longer length really start to restrict the ability to maneuver in town and park.
I am looking to buy a used class A diesel pusher late 1997 to 2002 with one large slide out. It could have 2 slides but I think 1 will be ok.
Next point, newbie that I am, in the year range I have given, please give examples of high end motor homes and middle range. This will help me know what to look for.
Thanks to all for helping.
PS, I have my floor plan worked out.
Twistedgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2016, 09:22 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Once you get used to driving a Class A, you will find out that there is not much difference between a 37' and a 40'. There are a few variable but as a rule you'll find that as you get longer the ride is smoother.
It would help if we knew what your budget is for this MH.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:33 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

I guess I will try to answer your question but know I will get a lot of rebuttal from other rvers but here goes.

Number one have you ever driven a large vehicle that is 37' or 40' or the other way 24'?

Number two is whg do you want a diesel pusher and what do you know about them? They are a high maintenance unit even though they have a soft ride. What do you know about air brakes?

Number three is if I were starting out I would get a gas unit til I get used to rving.

Number four there is not much difference from a 37' to 40' as they both have long overhangs behind the rear wheels. You wil have problems in some older campgrounds and some state and national parks as they have a 35' restriction. Check a few in your area.

Now for the best part, I would recommend you start out with a 31 to 35 foot rv gas unit until you get he feel of the rving experience and after that might consider going bigger. A 35-36 foot rv usually have great floor plans and can provide nice living conditions plus be easy to maintain and drive.

Good luck and now I will wait for the critics to tell me I'm wrong.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:43 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post

Well, I'm not going to tell you your wrong. I owned a 36' class A gasser for 4 years. Best training coach you could have!
You decide to move up from there, depends on you, and your bank account !!
Old 02-09-2016, 09:46 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I agree with Tom "He will get a lot of rebuttal from other rvers " me being one. Diesel pushers are not necessarily high maintenance. You have to change Oil and get them Lubed just like a Gasser but they last a lot longer and get better mileage. The cab in a Pusher is a lot quieter and the road is a lot easier to take because of those mysterious Air Bags and Air Brakes. Besides they have really cool Air Horns. Drive both and see which kind you like. We did as Tom said and bought a 26' "C" class only to find two years later we needed something bigger and quieter. That V10 just a couple feet in front of me at high RPM's as gassers run drove me crazy. Sent some cash down the tubes on that trade in.
You'll find no difference in driving a 36' or 40' coach if the chassis is sturdy enough to take the weight, but you will appreciate the extra 4 feet inside if your full timing.
Drive as many of all types as you can before buying. Even rent one or two to see how much space you need.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:26 PM   #6

Thanks to all, and you are a brave man Tom, and that's what I like about the people in iRV2. I have a 30ft box truck I move lightly in, so I have a little experience of something bigger than a pick up. I like the engine at the back for all the same reasons. I would like to try and get it right first time to save up grading to a pusher later. If it doesn't work out I'll deal with it. Price?? The less I spend to get what I need the better. That said I'd like to keep under $ 37000. I plan to modify the interior. General appearance, not rough. Good mechanics is what I'm hoping for. And I can't wait for the air horns.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:06 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Twisted... buy the best and biggest "Monaco" you can get for fulltiming. In 2003 we bought our 1st rv, a 30 ft Thor hurricane, chevy 8.1, no slide, gasser. Good coach 35,000 mi no issues. Started full time 2012 and it worked for two years. Drove across the country and back twice. But all that time I was looking for my current rig ( see sig ) and finally found it last Oct. After 2 yrs in the no slide gasser we were ready. We gave the gasser to our son and family so they could experience RVing as we have. My point is buy your last rig first...get what you want, Most important consideration is the wife has to love the interior at first sight. We changed many things in the gasser trying to love it more but it was always a compromise. Buy the right one and be happy. It is hard to live in a construction zone , especially since I sold 90% of my tools before beginning the adventure.

I was pretty happy in the 30ft gasser fulltiming but now I am TWICE as happy with 8 more ft and two slides.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:41 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2001 Monaco Knight 36R Class A, Class A - Diesel RV For Sale in Colorado Springs, Colorado | Golden\'s RV 15121 | RVT.com - 83257
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:51 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2000 Monaco Diplomat 38-D, Class A - Diesel RV For Sale By Owner in Woodburn, Indiana | RVT.com - 180139
Old 02-09-2016, 11:53 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2002 Monaco Diplomat 38PBT, Class A - Diesel RV For Sale in Colton, California | Clear Choice Motors Inc. 1RF12051422015584 | RVT.com - 101099 with Video
Old 02-10-2016, 09:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
Twisted... buy the best and biggest "Monaco" you can get for fulltiming. In 2003 we bought our 1st rv, a 30 ft Thor hurricane, chevy 8.1, no slide, gasser. Good coach 35,000 mi no issues. Started full time 2012 and it worked for two years. Drove across the country and back twice. But all that time I was looking for my current rig ( see sig ) and finally found it last Oct. After 2 yrs in the no slide gasser we were ready. We gave the gasser to our son and family so they could experience RVing as we have. My point is buy your last rig first...get what you want, Most important consideration is the wife has to love the interior at first sight. We changed many things in the gasser trying to love it more but it was always a compromise. Buy the right one and be happy. It is hard to live in a construction zone , especially since I sold 90% of my tools before beginning the adventure.

I was pretty happy in the 30ft gasser fulltiming but now I am TWICE as happy with 8 more ft and two slides.
Thanks Adam, I appreciate your input,and for suggesting the Monaco badge. I plan to make any changes before I pass on my table saw and all those tools it's taken most of my life to acquire. All this help is making my decision easier, so thanks to all. I can still take more.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:48 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi,

I guess I will try to answer your question but know I will get a lot of rebuttal from other rvers but here goes.

Number one have you ever driven a large vehicle that is 37' or 40' or the other way 24'?

Number two is whg do you want a diesel pusher and what do you know about them? They are a high maintenance unit even though they have a soft ride. What do you know about air brakes?

Number three is if I were starting out I would get a gas unit til I get used to rving.

Number four there is not much difference from a 37' to 40' as they both have long overhangs behind the rear wheels. You wil have problems in some older campgrounds and some state and national parks as they have a 35' restriction. Check a few in your area.

Now for the best part, I would recommend you start out with a 31 to 35 foot rv gas unit until you get he feel of the rving experience and after that might consider going bigger. A 35-36 foot rv usually have great floor plans and can provide nice living conditions plus be easy to maintain and drive.

As we say in Texas....get a rope...
Old 02-10-2016, 10:53 AM   #13

With the lift for the Silverwing you are going to be hanging about 700+ lbs off the back. In order to stay within GVWR and RAWR you are right about getting a DP. even then you will need to be cognizant of the extra weight.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:01 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
We couldn't be happier with our 2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT. It has the 8-bag Roadmaster chassis with full air leveling, and handles like a dream! It has three slides but similar models have two.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote