Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2015, 04:13 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
A couple people have mentioned high current draw when first plugging in with low batteries, and how this affects how many other things you can do while the batteries are charging. Some chargers (like my Magnum Energy) have a shore power setting that lets you set how much shore power current it is allowed to use: it's easy to adjust from a low of 5 to a high of 50 amps. So if there is limited power, you may be able to turn down how much power the charger will use. Of course, that will increase charging time so don't forget to turn it back up when you can, but it may let you run additional loads during that charging period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLGPE View Post
As for using microwaves, vacuums, etc. just turn on the inverter (if you have one). An hour or two on high draw usage will recover soon enough, and you'll be fine.
Of course, that depends on your inverter and the way it is set up. Mine is a combination inverter/charger and has a transfer switch built into it: so if shore power is available, it's passed straight through and the inverter doesn't come into play, even if turned "0n." The only way to get the inverter to actually invert is to make sure the switch is turned on, and then disconnect shore power (or turn off the breaker feeding it.) Of course, this also disables the charging function, so don't forget to turn the breaker back on or plug back in!

(My inverter also can't drive the built-in vacuum, or the Sleep Number bed - annoying when dry camping, as it means the bed can't be adjusted without starting the generator... )

Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2015, 08:05 PM   #16

Ok, maybe dumb question, but newbie. When plugged in at home, maintaining batteries, do you keep refer on all the time??

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum "life happens" HE lives..

Old 07-21-2015, 09:04 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdinatl View Post
Ok, maybe dumb question, but newbie. When plugged in at home, maintaining batteries, do you keep refer on all the time??

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum "life happens" HE lives..
No.

I leave my refrigerator turned off and the doors open so mildew doesn't grow.

It's important to mop up and dry the freezer section after any frost melts.

I turn mine on 24 hours before we plan to use it.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:26 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdinatl View Post

We go on a weekend trip two or three times a month: we usually don't empty or turn off the refer. Some will worry about food spoilage if we lose shore power, but the refer auto switches to propane, and the auto gen start will start the generator if the batteries get low. The odds of shore power, gas, and the generator start system all failing at the same time are low enough that I will risk a refer full of food at those odds.

But if it's an unusual situation, and we know it's going to be more than a month before the next trip, only then do we empty the refer and turn it off, leaving the doors open. I'll stuff the used bath towels into the freezer to catch the water dripping from the ice as it melts - the next day, I retrieve the towels and they go in the laundry, and the refer doors stay open.

Of course, it's turned off and doors open over the winter when we don't use the rig (mid-November to mid-March.)

Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forum, power, storage