Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-06-2015, 07:18 AM   #15
Your story is similar to mine with different results. I had been dreaming about a DP on consignment at a local RV dealer. I passed by several weeks without stopping.

We eventually go on our 2,400 mile vacation in our 31' no-slide Hurricane.

When I get home on Saturday, I go out to the RV dealer to see if the DP is still there with the intention of taking it for a test drive. It is still there!

I talk to the salesman and he said a customer just returned from a test drive, crawled through the motor home uncovering everything, checking everything, etc. and told the salesman he would bring the $$ on Monday. The salesman said he would hold it without a deposit until noon on Monday.

I called back at 2PM on Monday and the "customer" had never showed with his money. At 4PM I took it for a test ride with the DW and had a check in my pocket for a deposit.

I now own the DP! It had a few minor things that needed attention, but I have driven over 2,000 miles now and thoroughly enjoy the ride.

There is still a nice one out there for you that I am sure you will find.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 34W
2000 Thor Hurricane 29D Motor Home
2011 Lance 1050S Truck Camper
JumboJet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2015, 10:16 AM   #16
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not for sale yet far as I know but there is a sweet little dual slide out Class A, about 35'. behind me here at Cathead Creek.. Park owner thinks the family will be asking around 35K... Runs good (Workhorse 8.1, Allison) needs some work (house batteries for sure, possible plumbing issue, You need to drive past a thrift store (i can help you there) and a landfill since the man was a pack rat)

NOTE that I have nothing to do with this motor home save I'm the one who drove it from the site it sat on for some time to the storage area.. That's my only connection with it.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:05 PM   #17
Originally Posted by Moho_Driver View Post
About 3 years ago my wife and I (and our little one) bought a 1987 Itasca Sunflyer, 31' GM chassis w/454. Its clean and she has never let us down. Its is our starter rig, just to see what we like/dont like, and how often we use it. Turns out we use it quite a bit; probably 5-8 long weekends per year and at least one longer trip for 8-10 days. Often times when we get home from a trip I skim CL in hopes of finding a good deal on a newer coach; most of the time it just leads to dreaming. However, this time - I found it! A 2002 Bounder 34D on the Workhorse chassis with the 8.1/Allison combo. It had 86k miles on it, single slide, side by side fridge w/ ice maker, Onan 5.5k gold, new tires, 150pt inspection, awnings on all the windows, etc, etc, etc.... And the asking price? $15,000. Yes you read that right... $15,000. I thought it was likely a scam, some Nigerian prince that wanted to sell me a cheap motorhome in turn for $5mm transferred to my bank account. We all know the story, right? Wrong.

It was a local phone number. I called the man and had an appointment the next day. We showed up at 4:30 and the coach was exactly as described. It was in VERY clean condition. It could use new carpet, but I could have gone a few years before replacing it. It was always stored in doors, and it shows. No delam or checking. While looking through everything he let me know that another couple was coming to look at it at 6pm and they were bringing their checkbook. Unfortunately, I didn't have cash or a check. I would have to go to the bank to get the financing, which wouldn't be an issue, but obviously money talks. I could have probably offered a couple thousand $ to hold it and came back to get it at the end of the week, but I didn't. I just didn't... I just asked him to call me if they didn't take it. And guess what? He called to let me know they bought it that night.

How could I have been so freaking stupid!? I know that he would have taken a deposit and worked with my credit union on financing. I have literally been agonizing over this loss for the last week. I am just sick to my stomach over the whole thing. The worst part is that we have a 4 day trip planned in the next couple weeks and I'll be spending it in my 1987 Itasca! She's been a great rig, but she's lost her luster after imagining what "could have been"! Oh the storage and torque!! I have to laugh to keep from crying.

Well, thats my therapy session for the day. Thanks for listening! Remember, its often the things you DIDNT do that you regret more than the things you DID.
I would not beat myself up over this, I really don't think the price was that good for that vintage and make of coach. Something else will come along and you will still find your dream coach.
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C towing a Jeep TJ Wrangler
530ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:19 PM   #18
Winnebago Owners Club
IMO if you had really wanted it or planned to buy it you would have taken your cheque book with you and written a deposit. You are having reverse buyers remorse. If you had bought it you would have had buyers remorse. Just no winning in some of these situations.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:21 PM   #19
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I won't "rain" on someone else's parade but it's certainly not true in our case!
Just wish we HADN'T bought my "dream machine"! And I will always regret it too.

Mr D I'm sorry to hear that. I know you have had major issues with that rig. You helped me when I first bought my MH with some weight issues. Hope it turns around for you.
phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:33 PM   #20
AND, most importantly.... Don't let this experience lead you into making a hasty purchase next time around... Take your time and let you intuition be your guide, check everything out and be willing to pay a fair price for a nice rig..
2005 Bigfoot 1500C8.2 Truck Camper; MANY mods, to many to list
2007 Chevy 2500 Duramax Std Bed Ext Cab
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:37 PM   #21
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by phil57 View Post
Mr D I'm sorry to hear that. I know you have had major issues with that rig. You helped me when I first bought my MH with some weight issues. Hope it turns around for you.
Us too! But with the DW having inoperable liver cancer it doesn't look any better!
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:42 PM   #22
I saw a sad couple on the LA freeway standing beside a 2002 Bounder with a large puddle of oil spreading underneath and smoke coming out of the engine bay the other day. Was that the one you looked at?

Just kidding, hoped that made you feel better for a few seconds.....
2004.5 GMC SLT CCLB, Ride Rites, Turbo brake, EFI Live
2012 Arctic Fox 29 5T 5th Airborne, B&W, Prodigy
Papillon navigators Lily, Buddy and Willow
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:46 PM   #23
Everything happens for a reason - and beating yourself up about not getting the rig isn't going to change anything.

So take a deep breath and know that even though the rig LOOKED perfect - there may have been some crazy repair it needed that wasn't noticeable to the untrained eye. Especially when something is going for that cheap; it encourages people to buy right away without getting it inspected. OOPS - it needs a new tranny and the plumbing is leaking or WHATEVER it could have been.

There are many, MANY other rigs out there... Just know it didn't happen for a reason. I would try and focus on the fact that your old rig has done you very well and you have time to find something with more spice.

'04 Brave // Full-Timers working towards Homesteading
Tasha & Joseph and the fur kids - Dukkha and Buddy (woof!) <3 Lady With A Hippie Heart <3 Please follow my Adventures @ https://gypsyyears.wordpress.com/
GypsyYears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:04 PM   #24
I could discuss needs and wants for quite a while. You currently have an RV youíre happy with. Enjoy what you have and wait for another deal to come along. Though Iím not particularly religious nor do I believe in the occult, I do believe that often timeís events happen for a reason. An RV, no matter how pretty, is nothing but a ďthingĒ steel, rubber and plastic, thereís plenty more RVís out there. It ainít worth being upset about it.

Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:18 PM   #25
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Really???. What makes you think that. We have 92,000 on a 7.4, it's running very well, with minimal oil consumption. If I remember, GM claimed 200K service life on the 8.1 "in RV service".
You aren't helping George, lol.
But I agree, keep looking. I was dead set on an American Eagle, I even told this board we had bought it, the deal was that done. Then upon final pre delivery inspection I dried out of the owner that a tree had fallen on it and the drivers side rear quarter had been rebuilt. We couldn't understand the musty smell permeating the coach after a high desert rain.
We left the sellers house and I called the owner of the Holiday Rambler and asked if it was still for sale. It was and we bought it the next day and couldn't be happier.
My search lasted over a year, but so worth it.
What I do is go to rvtrader .com. I put in the search parameters, like 2002 Bounder, 15k-20k, <80k miles, 150 mile perimeter. I also go for a private party. Most of the time you get the complete history and records. Dealers will buy coaches from around the country and a lot of them do not have your interests at heart. Good luck!
Kieth and Ellen 1998 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 34 wds. Enjoying sunny spots in So Cal and the Southwest.
kiethco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:00 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
God doesn't close one door that he doesn't open another. I firmly believe that things happen for a reason and have proved it to myself time and time again.

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 4002
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Blue Ox Aladdin
unw1red is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:16 PM   #27
Moho - another one will come along. Take care.

BLK-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:26 PM   #28
Hope that wasn't intended for Mr_D

Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I just looked in my Chrystal ball and that RV is going to have a rod and bearing failure soon, right after the transmission gets replaced due to the rear end seizing up and snapping the drive line that punctured the gas tank.

Keep looking my friend, there is a better one out there with your name on it. I saw it in my Chrystal ball. Can't give you the location though.

2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2014 CRV w/EZ Tow
jondrew is offline   Reply With Quote