Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2015, 11:12 PM   #1

A mistake I will ALWAYS regret!

About 3 years ago my wife and I (and our little one) bought a 1987 Itasca Sunflyer, 31' GM chassis w/454. Its clean and she has never let us down. Its is our starter rig, just to see what we like/dont like, and how often we use it. Turns out we use it quite a bit; probably 5-8 long weekends per year and at least one longer trip for 8-10 days. Often times when we get home from a trip I skim CL in hopes of finding a good deal on a newer coach; most of the time it just leads to dreaming. However, this time - I found it! A 2002 Bounder 34D on the Workhorse chassis with the 8.1/Allison combo. It had 86k miles on it, single slide, side by side fridge w/ ice maker, Onan 5.5k gold, new tires, 150pt inspection, awnings on all the windows, etc, etc, etc.... And the asking price? $15,000. Yes you read that right... $15,000. I thought it was likely a scam, some Nigerian prince that wanted to sell me a cheap motorhome in turn for $5mm transferred to my bank account. We all know the story, right? Wrong.

It was a local phone number. I called the man and had an appointment the next day. We showed up at 4:30 and the coach was exactly as described. It was in VERY clean condition. It could use new carpet, but I could have gone a few years before replacing it. It was always stored in doors, and it shows. No delam or checking. While looking through everything he let me know that another couple was coming to look at it at 6pm and they were bringing their checkbook. Unfortunately, I didn't have cash or a check. I would have to go to the bank to get the financing, which wouldn't be an issue, but obviously money talks. I could have probably offered a couple thousand $ to hold it and came back to get it at the end of the week, but I didn't. I just didn't... I just asked him to call me if they didn't take it. And guess what? He called to let me know they bought it that night.

How could I have been so freaking stupid!? I know that he would have taken a deposit and worked with my credit union on financing. I have literally been agonizing over this loss for the last week. I am just sick to my stomach over the whole thing. The worst part is that we have a 4 day trip planned in the next couple weeks and I'll be spending it in my 1987 Itasca! She's been a great rig, but she's lost her luster after imagining what "could have been"! Oh the storage and torque!! I have to laugh to keep from crying.

Well, thats my therapy session for the day. Thanks for listening! Remember, its often the things you DIDNT do that you regret more than the things you DID.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2015, 11:39 PM   #2

Don't feel bad I wouldn't have even looked at it, when something is priced that low below market value there usually is a reason.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:50 PM   #3

We all have regrets, but they are just additions to memories, and make great stores for the grandkids. When I graduated from the UofA my wife and I could have purchased land in downtown Tucson for $100 an acre. But life is good, it makes a great story, and truthfully, I have no regrets.
Enjoy every moment, and Happy Trails.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:22 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You're no worse off than you were before.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:31 AM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
You're no worse off than you were before.
I won't "rain" on someone else's parade but it's certainly not true in our case!
Just wish we HADN'T bought my "dream machine"! And I will always regret it too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:34 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just looked in my Chrystal ball and that RV is going to have a rod and bearing failure soon, right after the transmission gets replaced due to the rear end seizing up and snapping the drive line that punctured the gas tank.

Keep looking my friend, there is a better one out there with your name on it. I saw it in my Chrystal ball. Can't give you the location though.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:45 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with Arch Hoagland. Keep looking, his crystal ball doesn't lie. We wish you the best of luck in your search.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:33 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
God doesn't close one door that he doesn't open another. I firmly believe that things happen for a reason and have proved it to myself time and time again.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:16 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
86k miles on a GM 8.1 is a $10,000 engine rebuild waiting to happen. Sleep well that it's not your problem!
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:51 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I just looked in my Chrystal ball and that RV is going to have a rod and bearing failure soon, right after the transmission gets replaced due to the rear end seizing up and snapping the drive line that punctured the gas tank.

Keep looking my friend, there is a better one out there with your name on it. I saw it in my Chrystal ball. Can't give you the location though.

Arch wouldn't lie to you!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:51 AM   #11

Really???. What makes you think that. We have 92,000 on a 7.4, it's running very well, with minimal oil consumption. If I remember, GM claimed 200K service life on the 8.1 "in RV service".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKent View Post
86k miles on a GM 8.1 is a $10,000 engine rebuild waiting to happen. Sleep well that it's not your problem!
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:55 AM   #12

I have looked at coaches over the years. The hunt is always more fun than the buy. Mojoracing above is right on about GOD closing and opening doors. There was a reason it sold but keep looking and have fun.

Dan
Old 10-06-2015, 08:16 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We had the same regrets on a boat deal. Friends were selling it at what we considered a great bargain but we both got cold feet at the last minute. We know the guy that did buy it and AFAIK it still runs good and just needed some minor repairs to make it right.

We chalked it up to "it just wasn't meant to be". However the boat was at a CG where we would pay for a dock all winter and storage all summer. The park has since been sold and will be turned into a resort hotel next year so we would not only have been out the fees but would need to either find another spot for it or sell it anyway. Sometimes the deal isn't as good as it appears.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:18 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
George,
we're trying to make the OP feel betta about it, not demean an rv you own.

I totally agree, that everything happens for a reason... even things that seem very bad at the time...

I was fired from my second job at a bank when a drunk bank officer came to the bank at night while I was running a conversion...
I had stepped outside for a break and had a snack and a beer...

Felt terrible I lost my $300 a month job
but got a job quickly and that job led to me working overseas and seeing the world !!!

One of the best things that happened to me - opened my eyes WIDE