Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2018, 03:43 PM   #15
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Nothing but Angle Soft for us. Bath and a half. Two Tecma Macerators. No problem and mine doesn't st.....er...It does flush well with both modes.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2018, 05:02 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Does Amazon carry these POOP knives ? Pretty sure we'd need a machete !!!!
LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 05:27 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
It appears that the OP is having a problem with their macerator toilet . I've had 2 coaches over the past 4 years both with Tecma macerator toilet. Both were located in the rear not near the black tank (bath and a half coaches). As stated in previous post, button one for light water saver flush, button two for full flush. We always use the maserator toilet especially when depositing solids. Never had any issues with it flushing any amount of solids. One flush always does it. In fact since the macerator grinds the solids while pumping them to the black tank the black tank is easier to dump as the solids are almost liquified. Wouldn't want a coach without a macerator toilet. Only negative is it uses more water so dry camping is a little more difficult.
curtsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 07:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
We have a Dometic master flush in the rear of the coach (have a half bath mid coach) and I'm not sure it is working correctly. Lets say you use the coach in it's most basic way, when finished we flush, about 8 seconds later it flushes (I think it takes this time to start the macerator pump). After the flush, the water or bowl is never fully flushed and evidence of the "business" is still apparent. Now if you use the toilet at maximum use, one flush doesn't come close to being enough to clear the bowl. Is this normal?

I've tried to add water to the bowl before using but doesn't seem to make a difference.
We have this issue if too much tp or if paper towel was flushed.

I have semi clogged it before. The issue is that it will add water then go through flush cycle not pulling down water. What I do is shut off the water, flush the toilet and plunge it at the same time. Works good.

When ever I have had that issue once I get it to flush most of the liquid, with the water on I flush a half dozen times and it clears up.

The only time it needed to be taken apart is when my wife accidentally flushed a Clorox cleaning wipe. It wont break down and the maserator vibrates.

As far as only using the rear for liquid only, I disagree. Our mid toilet is more likely to do this.

Again it's only if too much paper is used.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:27 AM   #19
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
AS Curtsr stated and I neglected to mention. The maerator toilet uses more water than the foot flush which is controllable. The macerator is flush or not flush. One can set the water level and it should be just above the throat of the toilet by 1/2 inch or so.

Boon-docking for us is not an option. We can go about 3 days, give or take with two macerator toilets.

That's okay 'cause DW's idea of roughing it is when there is no Walmart nearby.

p.s., It is my understanding that when a toilet is not over a black tank a macerator toilet is used. Is this correct?
Old 12-26-2018, 08:41 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topworth View Post
Good morning, I’m the opposite, the heavy work is done in the rear bathroom, its a Tecma with two buttons, normal and water saver. My thinking is that by using this for heavy work breaks things up thus avoiding any large build ups. That way when emptying the tank things flow better.

X2
We use Charmin Ultra with and it still works like a charm after over a year of usage.

-
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 12:39 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for all of the replies. Mark D, you have described exactly what we are dealing with. We have had the coach for a few months now and always acted this way. I am going to try your method of cleaning out the pipes.

Does anyone know if I will harm anything buy putting a snake it the commode and down the drain. It will be a manual snake so nothing real powerful.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:06 PM   #22
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"brandss".....DO NOT use a snake in the toilet you have. Most likely you have the Dometic 8300 Masterflush toilet. The drain hole should be at the back of the toilet bowl. The newer models moved the hole to the bottom of the bowl.

If you try to insert a snake, you'll damage the macerator. Keep in mind, when you flush, the waste goes into a bladed macerator, ground up and transported to the black tank as a liquid to keep from clogging your pipes.

On your model, you should have a button on the wall, one for flushing and one for manually adding water. The button you use for flushing, has two water levels. Push and hold it until the light flashes, about 4-5 seconds. If you were on the low water setting (which it sounds like you are), it will change it to the higher water setting. If you look, you'll find the higher water setting adds more water after the flush while the bowl is filling. Consequently, you'll start with more water on the next flush.

You're right about the time delay. You flush, the waste goes down and the macerator does it's thing and then the toilet actually flushes it, pushing it down the pipe.

We've been using both the 8300 Masterflush and now the 8700 Masterflush for almost five years. Toilet paper type is not an issue. We use Scotts toilet paper, no RV paper for us. Yes....a feminine product should NOT be flushed and will bind up a macerator.

Now, to say it delicately, you're not going to flush a footlong sub sandwich down a 1.5" hole. Consequently, the sub shop may need to cut it up for you! This is true in any house toilet too! The only toilet that may not have an issue would be a straight gravity toilet.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:31 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Don, thanks for the reply. Today I went ahead and took the toilet out to see exactly what was going on. Ended up taking all of the pipes off, removed the macerator pump, and really didn't find much. The pump seemed to be in great condition with no debris attached. I did soak all of the rubber pipes and cleaned the inside of each. I also, gently, ran a snake down the white pipe that takes the fluid to the black tank. At the end of the day I didn't find anything unusual. Will take a look at the setting on the switch as you suggested. Hope that helps. Thanks again.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:43 PM   #24
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"brands".....Now that you've seen how it comes apart, I have one word of warning. If it ever does plug up, don't open up the macerator, instead, remove the macerator component, take it outside and then disassemble.

Don't ask me how I know!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 08:20 AM   #25
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
ROLF

Brandss, If you took it part and saw nothing, could it just be that the motor is bad?

Might be you could put 12v to it and test it.
Old 12-27-2018, 04:54 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Don, I can certainly understand your point. LOL.

Wayne, in response to your question, the pump does run but I couldn't tell you if it is running at full speed? Do these things either run or not run?
Old 12-27-2018, 10:11 PM   #27
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Can't really answer that but like any motor I would "assume" it could fail with a charred winding from being clogged, or debris has found its way into the shaft of the motor. I'm not sure if it is free wheeling when no voltage is applied.

Manufacturer is best bet for information like that.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:16 PM   #28

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
I have known several that have had trouble with TP in macerator's.
We use Scott single ply (those 1000 sheet rolls...) and never a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
... Will take a look at the setting on the switch as you suggested. Hope that helps. Thanks again.
My Techma toilets have an adjustment on the back of the control heat to adjust how much water is added. Also when we are not on park water, (and using the water pump) they don't use as much water.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet