Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2016, 07:38 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
As someone with a Thor who has been looking at a Newmar, they are not the same build quality.
Everyone pretty much thinks what they have is better.

Texasranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2016, 09:38 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I guess our way of thinking is if you found your dream floorplan in a Thor and one that was close in a Newmar, why would you choose a Thor just to get the exact floorplan you want? That's what we don't understand - floorplan over manufacturer quality. Everyone surely is different and that's fine.
There in lies the question. How close are you suggesting/thinking? That is the problem with a subjective topic. What is your picture? Would you choose a 44' Thor over a 40' Newmar if both were at the same price point? Or would you choose a 40' Thor over a 40' Newmar if the price difference is 50,000? (I assume you are looking at models that have the same chassis, say Freightliner with ISL, IFS)

I will admit I do not know the Newmar you are thinking about and a comparable size Thor. We looked at Thor, Fleetwood, Newmar, Entegra, Tiffen, Winnebago, etc. sitting at dealers before we purchased. We saw differences in fit and finish between all manufacturers. Even between the same manufacturer and same model (different color) sitting on the lot. We were shocked at one coach from a major manufacturer.

To put this in perspective I would like to use an example of two manufacturers highly touted on this forum Newmar and Entegra. If one had the perfect floorplan and the other was OK which would you recommend be purchased?

Note: Based on a non scientific analysis of owner complaints on this forum and using approximate production numbers, it appears both manufacturers have about the same failure rate for defects.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:06 AM   #31

Once again...THANK YOU ALL for your sincere and honest thoughts and opinions...as I've always said "NONE OF US IS AS SMART AS ALL OF US"!!! I can honestly say that I've never been associated with a group of well-meaning folks who are always willing to go that extra mile to help out...either verbally and/or literally with a breakdown or issue of some sort. What a group of people you are... :-)

With all the posts I've seen it's very apparent that there's such a broad spectrum of experience across all socioeconomic groups...and we seemingly all have the same goals in mind... That is...to enjoy the many varied great adventures out there that await all of us, yet in a safe, comfortable, and healthy manner..."COUNT US IN"!!!

I agree with so many of the posts I've seen so far. Especially the one's that prefer looking at Quality of a particular unit first AND layout second. As I've mentioned, I'm a researcher of sorts, doing it the ol' fashioned way of getting down and dirty by scrubbing the internet/written materials until I confirm or debunk my thoughts and/or opinions in a particular area...this has worked well for "me" over the years...again, NOT PERFECT, but pretty well.

About a year ago I purchased the current Annual publication of Motorhome Reviews and Comparisons which is put out by rvreviews.net. This is put out every year by Randall Eaton who appears to be a researcher on steroids (FIGURATIVELY SPEAKING ONLY)! At this point also I want to make it "perfectly clear that I in NO WAY have any type of connection in any way/shape/or form with this publication and/or the author. I actually stumbled across this site during one of my "research marathons" and man am I ever impressed with it...I think I paid $89.95 for it and I got way more than my money's worth for sure. I would at least suggest you look at the website and take it from me...I am nothing short of amazed at the quantity and quality of the Common Sense/Practical advice that is so clearly written and backed up with "the facts"...this is not just an "opinion" publication.

The very foundation and premise for this publication by Randall Eaton is that, "80% PERCENT OF US PURHASE THE WRONG MOTORHOME AND ALSO 80% PAY TOO MUCH FOR IT"!!! After digesting this publication over and over again, I have to admit that he is "ABSOLUTELY RIGHT"!!!

In the coming posts I will share some of Randall's thoughts and opinions about how we all can maximize out RV'ing experiences by knowing some very basic and also detailed information that boils down very often to "Common Sense" which we all know "is not so common any more"...listen to the news lately???? Scary......

Please keep your input coming...we all need to hear it!!!
Old 07-22-2016, 10:30 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasranger View Post
Everyone pretty much thinks what they have is better.[/QUOTE]

Mr. Ranger Sir... As your quote above states, I totally agree that everyone thinks that "theirs is better"...absolutely no issue there. In my 62 years, I've discovered though that most folks believe that about "theirs being better" comes from the "quality/quantity of the SPECIFIC information that they HAVE/ACCEPT/DISREGARD about their SPECIFIC purchase...then, it's natural for all of us to Justify it so we convince ourselves that "we did good" AFTER the purchase is made.

I guess what I'm saying is that most of us make our decisions based on the amount of information we are comfortable with...unfortunately we see people make "poor decisions all day long"!
Old 07-22-2016, 10:59 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
There in lies the question. How close are you suggesting/thinking? That is the problem with a subjective topic. What is your picture? Would you choose a 44' Thor over a 40' Newmar if both were at the same price point? Or would you choose a 40' Thor over a 40' Newmar if the price difference is 50,000? (I assume you are looking at models that have the same chassis, say Freightliner with ISL, IFS)

I will admit I do not know the Newmar you are thinking about and a comparable size Thor. We looked at Thor, Fleetwood, Newmar, Entegra, Tiffen, Winnebago, etc. sitting at dealers before we purchased. We saw differences in fit and finish between all manufacturers. Even between the same manufacturer and same model (different color) sitting on the lot. We were shocked at one coach from a major manufacturer.

To put this in perspective I would like to use an example of two manufacturers highly touted on this forum Newmar and Entegra. If one had the perfect floorplan and the other was OK which would you recommend be purchased?

Note: Based on a non scientific analysis of owner complaints on this forum and using approximate production numbers, it appears both manufacturers have about the same failure rate for defects.
Gordon and Janet... I do understand where your coming from in your post.

After researching Thor, I did find that there are concerns over Thors build quality and ownership concerns of the company itself. As someone who is actively searching for the "right motorhome FOR US", I have come to ask myself one question as I was considering a Thor early on in my search.

As many of us do, I go onto Rvtrader.com almost daily and do my usual "looking around". Every day I literally finds "hundreds of Thors" for sale of all the various models that they produce. Not only that, a huge percentage of them are "very new as in Current Year to 2-3 years old" with very low mileage! I ask myself..."why is this"??? Why would there be a seemingly overabundance/higher percentage of Thor products are virtually "new to 3 years old for sale"??? Hmmm... as a consumer, it makes me wonder...

If Thor owners (I've not spoken to any) are happy with their selections why are they selling them so soon??? Then I look at the higher "rated" motorhomes and there is a distinctive reduction in available "new(er)" units for sale. And yes, I am taking in account the differences in annual production numbers for these manufacturers. Not wanting to debate the issue for sure, but it certainly has made me wonder about it...
Old 07-22-2016, 11:06 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
From what I've read with regards to Thor Motorcoach (not to be confused with Thor Industries) is that once one reaches the Tuscany.. those owners report good things.

Thor motorcoachs offering is really really broad... with many entry level models.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:58 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasranger View Post
I guess I did not make it plain enough. I have a Thor, compared to Newmar Thor is junk. I wish I had one but we went for price at the time.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:07 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Wundertaker - I think we are beating the same bush looking for pretty much the same fruit. We all want to buy the best unit for our money. Unfortunately no matter what you buy or how much you pay there will be issues and maintenance to perform.

We made our decision based on floor plan. Not only did it determine the brand and model but the fuel as well.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:13 PM   #37

Mr. No Other "Mark"... I certainly do not want to offend anyone, as we all try to make the best decision based on the input we get.... I do however tend to agree with you...Thor is struggling right now for many reasons based on what I'm told/read...hope they get squared away at some point.

Right now, I'm looking at Newmar, Tiffin, Winnebago and Foretravel if I could ever afford that...I'm sure my list will change.

Like so many others, my wife and I don't need all the Glitz and I don't need 14 slides either...the more stuff you get, the more opportunities for breakdowns/malfunctions...who needs those headaches???

I'm kind of a "higher Quality/more power/simple and basic amenities" kind of guy! It's amazing how great life is when YOU KEEP IT SIMPLE...
Old 07-22-2016, 01:16 PM   #38

Gordon...and I think you and Janet made a great one too!!! ENJOY!!!
Old 07-22-2016, 01:58 PM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Mr. No Other "Mark"... I certainly do not want to offend anyone, as we all try to make the best decision based on the input we get.... I do however tend to agree with you...Thor is struggling right now for many reasons based on what I'm told/read...hope they get squared away at some point.

Right now, I'm looking at Newmar, Tiffin, Winnebago and Foretravel if I could ever afford that...I'm sure my list will change.

Like so many others, my wife and I don't need all the Glitz and I don't need 14 slides either...the more stuff you get, the more opportunities for breakdowns/malfunctions...who needs those headaches???

I'm kind of a "higher Quality/more power/simple and basic amenities" kind of guy! It's amazing how great life is when YOU KEEP IT SIMPLE...
Amen! BlueBird didn't even call my coach a "Wanderlodge" they just called it a BlueBird Motor Coach (aka the term BMC). It was a "simplified" Wanderlodge without air actuated dump valves and three zone heating and all that other stuff that is really cool but also not as reliable as a plain old thermostat and a handle to pull when you want to dump tanks
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:26 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmurdock View Post
Amen! BlueBird didn't even call my coach a "Wanderlodge" they just called it a BlueBird Motor Coach (aka the term BMC). It was a "simplified" Wanderlodge without air actuated dump valves and three zone heating and all that other stuff that is really cool but also not as reliable as a plain old thermostat and a handle to pull when you want to dump tanks
Mr. Murdock...WHAT A GREAT POST...couldn't say it better myself...right to the point...don't get much better than that!!!

I know I'm showing my 62 years but I have stated many times... "PROGRESS DOES NOT ALWAYS MEAN THAT YOU'RE MOVING FORWARD"!!!

I handed my grandson a "map" the other day and he had no clue what to do with it when I asked him to "get us home"!!!

What the heck is a "thermostat"??? Just kiddin, but you get my point! Life is not complicated..."we make it that way"....
Old 07-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #41

Wundertaker, if Wundertaker turns into Winnebago you will be happy.

Let the hate begin.
Texasranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:22 PM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
First post here and wanted to say how much I appreciate this thread. My wife and I are late 40's, kids out of the house, and planning on hitting the road in the fall. We've been down all the roads, travel trailers, 5th wheels, and have recently decided a DP is the way we're going. Now the biggest decision is new or pre-owned, and you guys are really helping us with that! We are looking into older, higher end coaches and it's really amazing what's out there. Thank you!