Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2016, 06:33 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasranger View Post
Wundertaker, if Wundertaker turns into Winnebago you will be happy.

Let the hate begin.
Mr. Ranger Sir... Don't know about that, but I do have them on my list.

Another question??? My wife and I may start out by doing some shorter duration trips, such as 2-8 weeks at a time before we begin our FT'ing. We'll probably stay from a few days to a couple weeks at one location before moving on. We have good friends who FT in a Damon Challenger around 38' and is looking at moving to a 35' footer. They tend to stay parked at one place for an extended period of time where we will move more often I'm thinking.

We want to visit most of the National Parks in the USA, primarily in the West and Northwest getting as deep into the mountains as possible. Any thoughts on length??? Right now, I'm thinking 33-35 DP with dingy... I've heard that some of the Nat'l Parks can be a little tricky if you go over 35' feet or so...

Any help would be great...Thanx...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2016, 07:01 PM   #44
HGC

New Wundertaking

We have a 2014 Tiffin 36LA and the powertrain will take you anywhere you want to go. Our unit is not without QC and design problems. That said , if I were ever to get a diesel it would be a used Entegra Aspire or Newmar Dutch Star.
Too many problems with Tiffin and good but difficult factory service at Red Bay.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:01 PM   #45

We love our present coach and we've owned about 12 or so different ones thru the years. 24-42 ft. Gas and diesel. But our favorite of all time was a 2008 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34SBD with 340 hp cummins. 2 slides. 6000 onan. It was light and extremely easy to get around in. Gas stations no problem. We went everywhere, it would turn around better than my duelly ram crew cab. We sold it in 2010 to purchase our current lake property.
It was not fancy but was very practical. It's the only DP we ever owned that I actually miss. Would fit any campground? We towed a 2008 4 dr wrangler. Climbed mts like nothing.
Wife wanted more room and bath and half , washer drier etc so that why we're in what we have now.
Texasranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:05 PM   #46

We changed from a gasser to a DP 5 years ago. We liked everything about the gasser except descending down 6-8 % grades in the mountains. A gasser will get you up anywhere the DP will, maybe a slower, but the trip down is far easier, and I believe safer, in a DP with an engine brake. There are some comfort issues, but the 3 stage engine brake makes traveling much less tense.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:36 PM   #47

HGC, Texasranger, and Wigginsjsr...

Thanx to all of you for your help...what all of you posted makes very clear "sense" to me...a little scary my wife says..ha..real funny!

The comfort while driving is very important to me in that I do want to be appropriately relaxed when traveling so I can enjoy the views also and know that I have the power and the on board equipment to manage my beast on the road. My wife believes that "less is more" so as I mentioned, we don't need "all" the bells and whistles but a few of the simple conveniences would be nice for sure.

The Winnebago Forza 34T looks interesting to me right now, but 2014 was the first year and wonder if they have the bugs out of the first models. We're going to look at a couple of them in Michigan tomorrow and may even look at the Tour 43' footer just for fun! I like the 340 HP Cummins DP in it and will probably pull a 4 door Rubicon or similar 4 down.

We're making progress...

Thank you again...
Old 07-22-2016, 07:57 PM   #48

Guess it all comes down to MONEY!!

Gas - Much less expensive up front, cheaper fuel, and maintenance costs are much less. However, they can be noisier.

Diesel - Much more expensive up front, higher maintenance costs, fuel is more expensive, and DP's can be prone to engine fires. As a side note, the dear wife won't have one, as the diesel exhaust smell makes her sick. However, the diesel is quieter and the engine will last longer.

Be the happiest that you can be within your budget!
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:19 PM   #49

the diesel pusher will have more storage space in the basement since it doesnt have the long exhaust and the long drive shaft going to the rear of the coach and since there is no dog house the entry door is up front giving you more living space.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:53 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Mr. No Other "Mark"... I certainly do not want to offend anyone, as we all try to make the best decision based on the input we get.... I do however tend to agree with you...Thor is struggling right now for many reasons based on what I'm told/read...hope they get squared away at some point.

>snip<

FWIW thats (a)nother mark. I started using it many years ago when some newbie would get on a DL I was on and use Mark like I was then cop an attitude when it was pointed out that the list already had a Mark on it. The continual flame wars weren't worth the effort. ;-)
Old 07-23-2016, 08:14 AM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Mr. Ranger Sir... Don't know about that, but I do have them on my list.

Another question??? My wife and I may start out by doing some shorter duration trips, such as 2-8 weeks at a time before we begin our FT'ing. We'll probably stay from a few days to a couple weeks at one location before moving on. We have good friends who FT in a Damon Challenger around 38' and is looking at moving to a 35' footer. They tend to stay parked at one place for an extended period of time where we will move more often I'm thinking.

We want to visit most of the National Parks in the USA, primarily in the West and Northwest getting as deep into the mountains as possible. Any thoughts on length??? Right now, I'm thinking 33-35 DP with dingy... I've heard that some of the Nat'l Parks can be a little tricky if you go over 35' feet or so...

Any help would be great...Thanx...
IMO the newer longer coaches may turn tighter than the older shorter ones. It is all about wheelbase and steering cut. New coaches have up to 60 degree cuts while older ones can be in the 50 degree range.

As well a tag axle coach can have a similar wheelbase than a shorter single axle drive coach. The tour has a 279 wheelbase while the Journey 40R has a 276 which would make turning each very similar.

Big issue with some of the older parks is overhanging branches as well as some have narrow roads which might make access to some sites problematic. We have been in some older private campgrounds where getting in and out took some planning but was doable if one was patient and careful. A longer coach would likely eliminate you from a few of the parks but generally if that is the case there will be a private campground close that will accommodate your unit.

IMO you are planning to camp in some of the National Parks the biggest issue will be the sewer hookup as many do not provide that luxury. If you plan on using your washroom the holding tanks can be an issue for longer stays if you have macerator toilet(s). We can comfortably stay for about 4 days before our black tank becomes an issue. We do not carry a "potty tote" so a move to dump is required.

Since you have a toad it would always be a prudent move to unhook and check out access and the site prior to moving any motorhome to a site.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:20 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
HGC, Texasranger, and Wigginsjsr...

Thanx to all of you for your help...what all of you posted makes very clear "sense" to me...a little scary my wife says..ha..real funny!

The comfort while driving is very important to me in that I do want to be appropriately relaxed when traveling so I can enjoy the views also and know that I have the power and the on board equipment to manage my beast on the road. My wife believes that "less is more" so as I mentioned, we don't need "all" the bells and whistles but a few of the simple conveniences would be nice for sure.

The Winnebago Forza 34T looks interesting to me right now, but 2014 was the first year and wonder if they have the bugs out of the first models. We're going to look at a couple of them in Michigan tomorrow and may even look at the Tour 43' footer just for fun! I like the 340 HP Cummins DP in it and will probably pull a 4 door Rubicon or similar 4 down.

We're making progress...

Thank you again...
Check out Lichtsinn RV. We found they were competitive and the service is exceptional. We stayed several days when we picked our coach up. They have electrical hookups and you are able to fill your water tank and dump the holding tanks. All the staff treat us like family.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:09 AM   #53

We have a 2015 Forza 34t and are very happy. Feel free to ask questions about it. Your best source for consumer input is the FB page for Winnebago Forza owners.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:57 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVLola View Post
We have a 2015 Forza 34t and are very happy. Feel free to ask questions about it. Your best source for consumer input is the FB page for Winnebago Forza owners.
That's a great idea. I started a Facebook page for Winnabago Journey today.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1019644328085013/
Texasranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:22 AM   #55

Texas ranger,
Hopefully you spelled Winnebago properly.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:09 PM   #56

I thought it was WIN-A-BAGEL