Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2016, 03:38 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Texas ranger,
Hopefully you spelled Winnebago properly.
HAHA....spell check don't know Winnebago..I hope I did.

Texasranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 06:26 PM   #58

FWIW - We are two years away from full-timing and struggled with new gas vs. used diesel. I love the vintage motorhomes, so a used diesel would have been perfect. The reality is that we aren't handy and dh would not have enjoyed any make-over projects.

We bought a new Bounder from dealer that is less than 5 miles from home. Dh is happy to have a warranty and a motorhome that will be paid off before I retire.

We just got back from a three week trip to Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and North Dakota. Since it is our first motorhome we didn't have expectations on power or noise level. We could easily hold conversations, we made it up and down all hills, wove our way through narrow campground roads. We weren't pushed around by the tractor trailers either.

Did it make noise when we decelerating while going down a hill? Yes. It freaked me out at first but dh said the engine was doing what it is supposed to do. We have a few other kinks to work out but nothing serious.

We're happy with our gasser.

Do your research but don't wait too long. You don't have to retire to start living your dream.

TravelingTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:51 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingTim View Post
FWIW - We are two years away from full-timing and struggled with new gas vs. used diesel. I love the vintage motorhomes, so a used diesel would have been perfect. The reality is that we aren't handy and dh would not have enjoyed any make-over projects.

We bought a new Bounder from dealer that is less than 5 miles from home. Dh is happy to have a warranty and a motorhome that will be paid off before I retire.

We just got back from a three week trip to Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and North Dakota. Since it is our first motorhome we didn't have expectations on power or noise level. We could easily hold conversations, we made it up and down all hills, wove our way through narrow campground roads. We weren't pushed around by the tractor trailers either.

Did it make noise when we decelerating while going down a hill? Yes. It freaked me out at first but dh said the engine was doing what it is supposed to do. We have a few other kinks to work out but nothing serious.

We're happy with our gasser.

Do your research but don't wait too long. You don't have to retire to start living your dream.
Great advice.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:02 AM   #60

Issue with national and state parks is not elevation - it's the size of the campsites. Not big enough, too many low trees and too small roads. Plus few campsites that can accommodate anything more than a travel trailer. You will likely end up staying outside the parks and driving your car in, so don't worry about length. Get a big rig if you want because you'll be staying outside the parks, anyway. Parks were designed over 100 years ago and are not set up for big rv's. I drive a deisel and wouldn't go with a gas engine. Can't beat the power. Don't drive anything that doesn't have an exhaust brake.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:18 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingTim View Post
FWIW - Do your research but don't wait too long. You don't have to retire to start living your dream.
We spent way too long in 'analysis paralysis' mode and finally had to draw a line in the sand. While our gut told us that a DP was what we WANTED, in the end we went with what we NEEDED to get going with the MH lifestyle in the twilight of our working careers. A gently used and exceptionally well cared for local, single-owner Craigslist gasser was waiting for us in July 2015. Now a year and a few thousand MH miles later we are just as excited now as we were on the initial drive-away. There is a continuous learning curve with these things, but at least we are on our journey while we are able to do so. Some folks aren't so lucky.
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:23 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
Issue with national and state parks is not elevation - it's the size of the campsites. Get a big rig if you want because you'll be staying outside the parks, anyway.
Totally DISagree with this statement. With our 40' MH we've stayed in many as public parks are always our first choice. We also love national forest campgrounds. Many have been updated and some even have full hookups for big rigs.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:39 PM   #63

Today my wife and I are back looking at gassers...due to the initial cost. My wife says why put $150K into a new(er) DP only to find out we really don't care for FT'ing. She makes a good point of going with a "not too old" gasser for no more than $70K just to "test the waters"! Can't say that I disagree with her.

Right now, I'm scouring the "net" for a 2008 or newer Tiffin Allegro something or other gasser in good shape or something similar in a Newmar.

Thoughts???
Old 07-26-2016, 01:41 PM   #64

By the way...THANK YOU TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR POSTS...THEY "REALLY ARE HELPING US"!!! I am starting to feel the paralysis analysis thing though...........
Old 07-27-2016, 06:29 AM   #65

Newmar Owners Club
We're in a similar position to you, and going back and forth on exactly what to buy. The only thing I think we are 100% on is getting a DP, the "third rig first" plan, less depreciation, better for towing, etc. New has its advantages, but even with that warranty will come debugging problems. Older can be a big plus - higher quality for a lot less, already pre-debugged, much lower depreciation, etc.

I'm a long-time car nut and I have always bought older, high-end cars instead of brand new bling, and I usually have a much nicer ride because of it. I think that's the route we're going to take, but it does require more planning.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:57 AM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
Issue with national and state parks is not elevation - it's the size of the campsites. Not big enough, too many low trees and too small roads. Plus few campsites that can accommodate anything more than a travel trailer. You will likely end up staying outside the parks and driving your car in, so don't worry about length. Get a big rig if you want because you'll be staying outside the parks, anyway. Parks were designed over 100 years ago and are not set up for big rv's. I drive a deisel and wouldn't go with a gas engine. Can't beat the power. Don't drive anything that doesn't have an exhaust brake.
Have driven the toad through many national parks and feel I could get the coach into many of the spots. We choose not to because the parks we consider do not have full hookups. Our limit is holding. We like to use our own washroom.

Todays higher wheel cuts on the IFS front end will turn as sharp as many of the older and shorter solid axle motorhomes.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:00 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Today my wife and I are back looking at gassers...due to the initial cost. My wife says why put $150K into a new(er) DP only to find out we really don't care for FT'ing. She makes a good point of going with a "not too old" gasser for no more than $70K just to "test the waters"! Can't say that I disagree with her.

Right now, I'm scouring the "net" for a 2008 or newer Tiffin Allegro something or other gasser in good shape or something similar in a Newmar.

Thoughts???
You are showing good sense. MH houses have a learning curve. Diesels have a learning curve. Fight one battle at a time assuming you are used to gas and not an overt the road semi driver. The buy your last RV first is more likely to be you are overwhelmed by the change, sell your used DP, and look upon the adventure as a bad dream.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:40 AM   #68
HGC

New Wundertaking

We have a 2014 TiffinLA and have averaged 4600mi per year. From what I hear from the forums is that diesels need to be driven A LOT. I don't think our usage warrants that. At the rate we use it we won't have 50k mi. after 10 years. The next model up in the Tiffin line is the Red(diesel) and I was in it and compared the 36LA and Red side by side. Our interior was as nice since we ordered it with ceramic tile. Same quality, with the similar nicks and QC slips.The Red is almost $90k more.
We have had no issues with power and engine revving and we have the 5 Star Tune, Sumo Springs and Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer. Each thing makes a contribution to the ride including lowering the tire psi.to 85-90psi.
Bear in mind that according to a Ford tech the engine breaks in at 28kmi. And with pure synthetic oil changes at 4k mi.the engine could easily do a life of over 200k mi. At our usage it would be 40yrs old. I would be 104yrs old.
I don't mind the ride in our gasser at all. But that said the roads in Indiana are HORRIBLE! 65 is a land mine field.
If I HAD to have a diesel to get to my destination OK, but the law of diminishing returns applies and the initial cost is so much more as is the ongoing maintenance and upkeep. And we still get there in decent style.
Will keep it unless we have the time to fulltime and drive a whole heck of a lot more.
Just my look on things. But I will drool every time I see an Entegra Cornerstone!!!
Old 07-27-2016, 10:01 AM   #69

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGC View Post
Will keep it unless we have the time to fulltime and drive a whole heck of a lot more. Just my look on things. But I will drool every time I see an Entegra Cornerstone!!!
LOL about the same as i feel on my Bounder (i put 12K miles on mine in my 1st year) HGC... and yes the Entegra Anthem or cornerstone are my drool points.
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:39 PM   #70

Today, we're still on Gassers...focusing on Newmar's/Tiffin's/and possibly the Bounders...around 35 ish feet so I can pull 4 down mid-size car/jeep.

One question of Refers...we would probably boondock up to 7-10 days a month. With that in mind I'm guessing we should have an RV fridge opposed to a residential due to the electric only feature and I don't want the added effort/expense in the batteries/solar/constant need to run gen/and a bigger pure sine inverter...does this make sense??????????????? It's just my wife and I and do not need/want a huge refer.....

thanx again all.............