Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2016, 01:58 PM   #71

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Today, we're still on Gassers...focusing on Newmar's/Tiffin's/and possibly the Bounders...around 35 ish feet so I can pull 4 down mid-size car/jeep.

One question of Refers...we would probably boondock up to 7-10 days a month. With that in mind I'm guessing we should have an RV fridge opposed to a residential due to the electric only feature and I don't want the added effort/expense in the batteries/solar/constant need to run gen/and a bigger pure sine inverter...does this make sense??????????????? It's just my wife and I and do not need/want a huge refer.....

thanx again all.............
If you're fulltiming get a residential fridge...I don't even fulltime and replacing my dometic is next on the list. I don't know if you can pick which type of residential fridge you get but there are some that are extremely efficient. FYI you will be running the generator daily for a couple of hours no matter what to charge batteries (assuming as you said no solar, extra batteries, etc..) and people I know with residential fridges say that is enough to keep it cold inside while not running them on the inverter (as long as you limit open/close). Just my opinion..

dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 02:00 PM   #72

[QUOTE=Wundertaker;3181406]Today, we're still on Gassers...focusing on Newmar's/Tiffin's/and possibly the Bounders...around 35 ish feet so I can pull 4 down mid-size car/jeep.

One question of Refers...we would probably boondock up to 7-10 days a month. With that in mind I'm guessing we should have an RV fridge opposed to a residential due to the electric only feature and I don't want the added effort/expense in the batteries/solar/constant need to run gen/and a bigger pure sine inverter...does this make sense??????????????? It's just my wife and I and do not need/want a huge refer.....

thanx again all.............[/QUOTE

As a serious boondocker I wish I had a gas refrigator. But I can make due as I have a 150 watt solar and two batteries. Will still need to run gen set some.
Before we go back to Alaska next summer I will add two more batteries and carry one of my Honda 2000's as we run it am one hour and 1 hour pm and use 1 gallon gas all week.

Texasranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 05:50 AM   #73

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
One question of Refers...we would probably boondock up to 7-10 days a month. With that in mind I'm guessing we should have an RV fridge opposed to a residential due to the electric only feature and I don't want the added effort/expense in the batteries/solar/constant need to run gen/and a bigger pure sine inverter...does this make sense??????????????? thanx again all.............
Not sure if you can even get the GAS/Electric Norco frig in any of those models nowadays, of course 2014 and earlier you probably could for sure. I have read many people changing them out for the Residential Frig on the thread as well. I would not have anything BUT the RES Frig in my coach. If i were a big boondocker i would look at the portable Solar set ups. You can get a very efficient one for under $500 and it would be more than enough to run the Frig during those times you are not able to have GEN or shore power. Most national or state parks have at least 30 AMP hookups. I can run everything I need (except A/C) off a 20 amp hook up and a heavy duty extension cord. The EMS handles power just fine at the lower amps.
The other part of that is the 2000W Magnum inverter, one of the biggest factors in my bounder was that piece of gear as the NEwmar and the Tiffin at the time did not have it. Remember if you run anything off less than a pure-sine inverter you will have issues with your electronics ( cell phone, computer, tablet, most small appliances... ETC) I think all the new 2016/7 use at least a 2000W pure-sine inverter in them, magnum is one of the better brand names used by Fleetwood RV's.
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:05 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Dean View Post
Not sure if you can even get the GAS/Electric Norco frig in any of those models nowadays, of course 2014 and earlier you probably could for sure. I have read many people changing them out for the Residential Frig on the thread as well. I would not have anything BUT the RES Frig in my coach. If i were a big boondocker i would look at the portable Solar set ups. You can get a very efficient one for under $500 and it would be more than enough to run the Frig during those times you are not able to have GEN or shore power. Most national or state parks have at least 30 AMP hookups. I can run everything I need (except A/C) off a 20 amp hook up and a heavy duty extension cord. The EMS handles power just fine at the lower amps.
The other part of that is the 2000W Magnum inverter, one of the biggest factors in my bounder was that piece of gear as the NEwmar and the Tiffin at the time did not have it. Remember if you run anything off less than a pure-sine inverter you will have issues with your electronics ( cell phone, computer, tablet, most small appliances... ETC) I think all the new 2016/7 use at least a 2000W pure-sine inverter in them, magnum is one of the better brand names used by Fleetwood RV's.
Dennis,
Thanx so much for the great info on Refer's...makes much sense to me. With that in mind I would consider a Res Refer with having solar and the Magnum on board.

Not to change subjects... As my wife and I get closer to narrowing our manufacturers down for our Class A purchase (2-6) year old unit...I have Tiffin and Newmar on our very very short list.... Seems like I'm seeing many folks that appear very happy with their Bounders and I'm feeling like those should be on my list also...would you agree with that??? In looking back would you pull the trigger on your Bounder again???

Leaning towards a gasser in the 32-36 foot range. Any thoughts anyone???
Thanx,
Old 07-28-2016, 01:23 PM   #75

Tiffin Owners Club
Look at tiffin 33aa red 4 slides
Old 07-28-2016, 02:06 PM   #76

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Dennis,
Thanx so much for the great info on Refer's...makes much sense to me. With that in mind I would consider a Res Refer with having solar and the Magnum on board.
Magnum is a brand the important part is that whatever you are looking at, especially older models make sure it has a Pure-sine inverter, Modified or square wave will give you issues with your electronics....
Quote:
Not to change subjects... As my wife and I get closer to narrowing our manufacturers down for our Class A purchase (2-6) year old unit...I have Tiffin and Newmar on our very very short list.... Seems like I'm seeing many folks that appear very happy with their Bounders and I'm feeling like those should be on my list also...would you agree with that??? In looking back would you pull the trigger on your Bounder again???
I would have to compare all the previous models to answer that. All 3 have upgraded aspects to there coaches. IE bounder now has 24K chassis available, Tiffin has added SUMO option, Newmar has larger watt inverters. I love my bounder and am very happy with it but I am not opposed to Newmar or Tiffin. To me all 3 have pros and cons and things I like about them, they are all on the ford chassis and V-10 so it comes down to amenities, layout, and electronics. JMO
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:49 PM   #77

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arclight View Post
Look at tiffin 33aa red 4 slides
+1 Have one, great coach...
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:13 AM   #78

Residential fridges can be super efficient. You can also run them on LP. I have a full size samsung residential running on propane.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:07 AM   #79

Quote:
Today my wife and I are back looking at gassers...due to the initial cost. My wife says why put $150K into a new(er) DP only to find out we really don't care for FT'ing. She makes a good point of going with a "not too old" gasser for no more than $70K just to "test the waters"! Can't say that I disagree with her.

Right now, I'm scouring the "net" for a 2008 or newer Tiffin Allegro something or other gasser in good shape or something similar in a Newmar.

Thoughts???
Not trying to cause even more confusion here, but my wife and I just went through the almost overwhelming process of purchasing our first MH last month. We looked at both gassers and DPs... One thing that friends/family kept reminding us of is that, even though we are just "testing the waters" to figure out if we enjoy this lifestyle, this is a major purchase ~and~ a long-term investment.

The thing that stuck with us was resale value if we decided that this wasn't a good fit for us. For all of our research -- so many hours scouring NADA guides and used dealers -- we found that DPs tend to hold their value much better than gassers unless they are seriously used and abused (think "repos"). We finally decided to go with a DP because of the benefits so many others have listed in this thread, plus we wouldn't take such a big loss if we decided to sell/trade later. Just something to think about...
3togo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:13 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3togo View Post
For all of our research -- so many hours scouring NADA guides and used dealers
Anyone looking to purchase a used MH - DP or gasser - would be best served by looking in the southeast, Florida in particular. There is a glut of nice post-2000, low miles used units out there, a growing number of which can be had for wholesale value to the average person. Retail dealing in this climate should not be on the top of your list (or anything above your NADA low retail).
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:20 AM   #81

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
Residential fridges can be super efficient. You can also run them on LP. I have a full size samsung residential running on propane.
What full size samsung are you running on LP? Do you mean via an LP generator?
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:45 AM   #82

When you are figuring depreciation also consider purchase price - the $70K gasser might depreciate more as a fraction and less in dollars. Motorhomes are not like houses, they are like cars or computers. Whatever you paid is more than they are worth after you get the keys.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:07 AM   #83

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO there is a caution about buying something to "test the waters". If you buy a unit that is totally inappropriate to what you are trying to test the results may be skewed. There is nothing like a bad experience to turn you off of what could have or may have been beyond the capabilities of what you were trying to test.

It may take a very active imagination to bridge the difference between what you are experiencing in an inadequate or inappropriate unit to what it could be in something that fits the requirements.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:42 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
IMO there is a caution about buying something to "test the waters". If you buy a unit that is totally inappropriate to what you are trying to test the results may be skewed. There is nothing like a bad experience to turn you off of what could have or may have been beyond the capabilities of what you were trying to test.

It may take a very active imagination to bridge the difference between what you are experiencing in an inadequate or inappropriate unit to what it could be in something that fits the requirements.
Sorry, "testing the waters" was a sloppy choice of words on my part. Before buying something like this, you definitely want your confidence level to be in the mid to high 90s that you will enjoy MH ownership. Basically, I was referring to all of the details that make your MH feel more like home. Meeting or exceeding your standard list of needs/wants. Example: We have a friend that bought a DP for full-time living a few years ago, but figured out she didn't have enough living space and didn't need some of the "extras" that got thrown into the package. She recently traded up to a larger but less pricey model and couldn't be happier. Like anything else, you never really know what you want/need until you are in a position for it to be used.

For us, it was like buying a house-car package. Obsessively research engines, reliability, maintenance, safety, etc. THEN obsessing over what amenities would make us happier in the MH. For example, there's a little less counter space in our kitchen than we would like but there's more living area... Is this going to be enough square footage for us to be comfortable... Can I turn around in the shower without knocking stuff off the shelf... Basically the same thought processes you go through when house shopping. It never fails, though, that when you move in you always find something you want to upgrade to better suit your needs.

3togo is offline   Reply With Quote