Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-09-2016, 08:20 AM   #85
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by 3togo View Post
Sorry, "testing the waters" was a sloppy choice of words on my part. Before buying something like this, you definitely want your confidence level to be in the mid to high 90s that you will enjoy MH ownership. Basically, I was referring to all of the details that make your MH feel more like home. Meeting or exceeding your standard list of needs/wants. Example: We have a friend that bought a DP for full-time living a few years ago, but figured out she didn't have enough living space and didn't need some of the "extras" that got thrown into the package. She recently traded up to a larger but less pricey model and couldn't be happier. Like anything else, you never really know what you want/need until you are in a position for it to be used.

For us, it was like buying a house-car package. Obsessively research engines, reliability, maintenance, safety, etc. THEN obsessing over what amenities would make us happier in the MH. For example, there's a little less counter space in our kitchen than we would like but there's more living area... Is this going to be enough square footage for us to be comfortable... Can I turn around in the shower without knocking stuff off the shelf... Basically the same thought processes you go through when house shopping. It never fails, though, that when you move in you always find something you want to upgrade to better suit your needs.
I can agree with the testing of the coach.

IMO you friend would have been farther ahead to spend several hours in a coach(s) at the dealers "playing house". Standing there testing the amount of counter space or trying to get around while DH was relaxing in the recliner, or seeing if she could lay out her hobbies while DH cooked dinner, or seeing if one was in the washroom and the other had to go. This would have gone a long ways to choosing the right unit the first time and avoiding the cost of trading up.

Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2016, 07:22 AM   #86
Originally Posted by 3togo View Post
Not trying to cause even more confusion here, but my wife and I just went through the almost overwhelming process of purchasing our first MH last month. We looked at both gassers and DPs... One thing that friends/family kept reminding us of is that, even though we are just "testing the waters" to figure out if we enjoy this lifestyle, this is a major purchase ~and~ a long-term investment.

The thing that stuck with us was resale value if we decided that this wasn't a good fit for us. For all of our research -- so many hours scouring NADA guides and used dealers -- we found that DPs tend to hold their value much better than gassers unless they are seriously used and abused (think "repos"). We finally decided to go with a DP because of the benefits so many others have listed in this thread, plus we wouldn't take such a big loss if we decided to sell/trade later. Just something to think about...
When people say "an anything new loses 20% of its value when you drive it off the lot" I know they're an idiot. Nobody buys anything, new car or RV, to sell it the day after they bought it. Kudos to you for realizing that when you sell/trade LATER the resale will be better for a DP than a gasser.

peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:44 PM   #87
I think you can test the water with a rig you might not be ultimately happy with. This way you'll know what things are important to you with living areas that you may not of realized until you experience RV'ing. Example is our rig has a camp side dinette and street side kitchen, our previous Allegro had the more common street side dinette and kitchen. DW and I now know the set up we have now is what we would look for when the time comes to move on to what would be our third rig.

vincee is offline   Reply With Quote