Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2016, 02:36 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
A question for Class A gas owners...

I know the benefits of the diesel pushers, so no one needs to tell me how much better they are than gas. I have been driving a Duramax diesel with a fifth wheel trailer for about five years now and the wife and I would like to try a class A with a gas engine. I looked at a lot of potential units and it seems to me that there are 2 engines available in most of the coaches. Some manufacturers use the Ford and others the GM engine. Is there anything better about one over the other? The split seems to be about 50/50 in my findings of coaches we would be interested in. I am looking for shorter size, 35 foot and under.
So, I would like to know any pro's and con's of the engines.
Thank you all in advance for any info you can provide us.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2016, 02:42 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
So it's going to be Ford Vs Chevy rather than Gas Vs Diesel.

Personally I wouldn't shy away from a coach simply because it has an X engine it.
There are probably years/models where a specific engine (or its transmission) had known issues that you'll want to avoid, but aside from that it probably comes down to 'floor plan' like it so often does.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:49 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I thought I seen a "Ford or Chevy" thread withing the past couple days that asked the same question?
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:17 PM   #4

A question for Class A gas owners...

I had one Ford and two Workhorse gassers. If you are looking at NEW, you can only get a Ford F53 chassis with V-10.
Used coaches will allow you to also consider Workhorse chassis, and " most" of them will have the 8.1 L V-8 coupled to an Allison tranny that is superior to the Ford, IMO.
The best choice you can make is to buy the one your wife likes best.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 04:46 PM   #5

When we bought our MH I wanted a Chevy engine as that is what I use in my street rods and I am very familiar building them. The MH that my wife bought has the Ford V10. I have put almost 10,000 on it now and no complaints. I believe the Ford has a TQ advantage although very little. MTC
rambler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:20 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
In almost 50 years of RVing I have had both Ford and Chev, as well as Dodge. I could care less about what engine my motor home has as long as it will do what I want and the floor plan is workable for me. In choosing a Motor Home the engine would not be the deciding factor for me.
Mel_B
Old 07-21-2016, 05:25 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I could care less about what engine my motor home has as long as it will do what I want and the floor plan is workable for me. In choosing a Motor Home the engine would not be the deciding factor for me.
Until something breaks while you're on the road, and you need available parts, manuals, and skilled people to fix it.

Personally, since everything new is Ford, that's the direction I'd be going.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:37 PM   #8

I own a Chevy Duramax truck and a Ford V-10 Motorhome so I'm as qualified as anybody to answer your question. Buy the floor plan you like best and at least find out which motor is in it so you know what oil filters to buy.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #9

Keep in mind if you get a coach that has the GM power plant you are already looking at a coach that is around 8 years old or more. I had the GM 454 before this new coach and I really like the new Ford power plant but there is nothing wrong with the others either except for their age and that is not a bad thing if you find a well cared for rig.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:26 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The GM 8.1L V8 was in the Workhorse chassis...ended manufacture in about 2010, so the newest RV with that engine would be about a 2011 at the latest.

The Ford V10 is 6.8L and has had 3 valve heads for many recent years (not available in Class C cab/chassis). The BIG news for the Ford is that starting with 2016 the gas chassis could be available with the Torqshift 6speed automatic that has been in the F-Series for some time.

Having a 6speed Allison in our RV, we would want to get the new Ford set-up if buying a newer gas RV...better power band use, better mileage, smoother operation.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 04:42 AM   #11

If buying new make sure it's on a 2016 chassis. Ford upgraded the transmission to a 6 speed and retuned the engine to make power at much lower rpm.

The new transmission completely tamed the hills and there is substantially less engine noise up front.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:29 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Both power trains will get you and your coach anywhere in North America on improved roads. Hit the logging or fire trails and you're on your own. Shop floor plans first. If you find two identical rigs one Ford the other Workhorse flip a coin or go with your personal preference. Both have comparable performance, fuel economy, ride, reliability and so on but both also have their share of unique problems that may need attention. Spark plug on the Ford and brake calibers on the Workhorse for example.

Coke-Pepsi,
Ginger-Marie Ann,
Left Twix-Right Twix,
Android-iPhone,,,,,
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:17 AM   #13

I used to brag on my Workhorse chassis. Plenty of power, halfway decent gas mileage, and a good ride.

Well, that all changed a few years ago when my first spark pug/wire incident came about. Found out then, that some coaches had overheat problems towards the rear cylinders because of lack of air flow across the manifolds.

Then a year or two later, had problems with sticking brakes. Turns out Workhorse put out a recall on the W22 chassis brakes. On our P32, no go, and i was out the money to repair. The bad thing is, the new calipers have the same pistons so i'm sure i'll have that problem again sooner or later.

Just last year, another issue with plugs and wires. Replaced again. I'm getting ready to put the vent set up in but it's something i shouldn't have to worry myself with.

Just seems things weren't thought out very well in the beginning which therefore, has left a bad taste in my mouth.

What seems funny is that i've never had any problems with anything in the coach. Alll problems have been chassis related. Just the opposite of my past experiences.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:44 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I thank all of you for the great info. I am looking at used as funds stop me from getting a diesel or new gasser right now. I figured both were OK, but just had to be sure. Looking in the 2005 area at or under 35 feet.
Thank you all again, I much appreciate your time to answer my question.

Tags
class a, gas