Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #29

My wife only drove the rig during the dealers test drive in January this year, I've driven 7k miles ( a round trip to east coast + local) since. We went to a dealers show here in San Diego a couple of months ago and she test drove a newer rig, and loved it. However, we are now about to move permanently across country and guess who is doing all the driving!

neil30076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #30

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Passenger Seat

Possum, I don't mind the passenger seat at all, but I love the driver's seat much better!

Purplefans & Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:50 PM   #31

Yup, I've been trying really hard not to participate in this thread because of the two issues some have already sort of pointed out.

The addressing of "Girls" in the title kind of put me off but I'm not that sensitive to be offended by it but nonetheless, some women don't like to be called "girls."

Second, why is it assumed that the "girls" are the ones who are sitting in the passenger seat? My hope is nowadays the females should be doing just as much of the driving and if they are not, how come?

Both DH and I are CDL licensed drivers and drove trucks and buses professionally during some point in our working lives before retiring. I probably drive the motorhome just as much or more than he does. I was hoping that it was in the past where females are expected not to be able to handle driving large vehicles but I guess those who are our fellow baby-boomers in age won't be able to accept that women can drive large vehicles too. I can't say that there's something inherent in our genes that prevents them from driving big vehicles ...that's BS, in my opinion.

*whew* ok, now that I got that off my chest, yes, it is a scary place sitting in the passenger seat of any kind of bus. Even though DH is a former professional driver, when I'm sitting in the passenger seat, I find myself yelling at him to watch his clearance and he does the same to me when I'm driving.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
OK Ladies, unknot yer knickers, but because of my age I look at all women as girls as they are mostly younger than me and there was no slight intended.

I would truly love to be able to just watch the scenery but my DW is terrified of attempting to drive anything larger than her minivan.

Just for the record, my sister Lydia was at one time a long distance truck driver as was her husband. Like I said no offense intended.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #33

Its my opinion, Let me digress, and say I have never driven an "A" ,,however, I feel that if there are two drivers in the vehicle, no matter what type, both should be comfortable behind the wheel. We were camping with our club, an accident happened, and when we arranged for one of the fellow campers to take him to the hospital, I volunteered to drive his rig to his house.. My wife, had to drive our rig to our house. I am proud to say, she was comfortable with the chore. We both enjoy driving, and for safety's sake, it's best to be prepared.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
The addressing of "Girls" in the title kind of put me off but I'm not that sensitive to be offended by it but nonetheless, some women don't like to be called "girls."
I sure don't, but I answered anyway because I do drive and thought it might strike a blow for women's lib.

Quote:
Second, why is it assumed that the "girls" are the ones who are sitting in the passenger seat? My hope is nowadays the females should be doing just as much of the driving and if they are not, how come?
It's assumed because it's common, perhaps even prevalent.

This is a hard one for me because I am all for equality and, like you, think there's no reason a woman can't drive a big motorhome. In fact, it really bugs me that more of them don't, not only because it might be necessary in an emergency, but also because it's a manifestation of the infantilizing of women that still takes place, however subtle.

However, I'm also all about respecting people's desires and fears, and the last thing I'd want to do it cajole someone into doing something she simply is too scared to do. Obviously, it would be ideal to address the fear and the driving confidence would follow, but that's a pretty tall order.

A few years ago I would have thought driving ability/zeal would equalize more as gender stereotypes have fallen somewhat, but nowadays, more and more young people are putting off getting their drivers licenses until they're older. I'm happy about that because teen drivers are dangerous, but on the other hand, the earlier one learns a skill the better, and I don't think that girls who put off learning to drive now will be prime candidates for empowered driving of big motorhomes later in life.

We might be on the verge of a golden age because we're at the tail end of the baby boomers moving into the ranks of stereotypical motorhome drivers, and the next group will include women who were raised with the benefits of the women's movement. But I think 30 or so years from now, when the ones who put off learning to drive until later move into the ranks, it's liable to revert to the default--the man drives--which is the same situation we have now.

Quote:
yes, it is a scary place sitting in the passenger seat of any kind of bus. Even though DH is a former professional driver, when I'm sitting in the passenger seat, I find myself yelling at him to watch his clearance and he does the same to me when I'm driving.
Same here. Both of us are extremely competent drivers, but there's just something about that passenger seat.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I kept quiet about the "girls" and didn't tell DW about it since I didn't want to get her started As for the driving thing, as I said above we share it all even up. I get to nap while she is at the wheel and yes, I am always yelping about clearances on the right when she is at the wheel and vice versa.

When we are with groups of RVers she will frequently get on the ladies about taking the wheel. She even convinced several to drive if for no other reason than to be able to get their hubby to the hospital in an emergency where no help is available.

That is always the fear, if I pass out at the wheel she ought to be able to know the controls well enough to be able keep the coach going straight and get it stopped safely. Then dump me on the floor and get to a hospital or any other rescue without having to figure out how to drive the dang thang.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #36

Boy oh boy, if I'm in the drivers seat flying down the highway - something's wrong LOLOL!!

I'd love to be the passenger in a Class A someday to take in that view!

** Happy to be one of the girls!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodGlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #37

I will answer for the DW since she dosn't do forums not does she get behind the wheel of ANYTHING anymore. But she drives just fine from the right seat thank you Meds prevent her from driving anymore. She thinks I put the GPS in so she can keep watch on the speed I drive, if I go over the limit the numbers turn red and I get told
Old 11-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #38

I'll answer for the wife ( because she said I can) She Loves the huge one piece windshield and sits with the Yorkie beside her, plays her music and makes notes on her ipad. The only thing she dislikes is when ever she goes to the potty it seems to shake back and fourth alot back there....... for the life of me I cannot figure what causes that.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #39

I guess I am not the typical DW. I do all of the driving, he is the coffee maker, snack retriever and wouldn't change it. He says he loves the view
Old 11-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by xctraveler View Post
When we are with groups of RVers she will frequently get on the ladies about taking the wheel. She even convinced several to drive if for no other reason than to be able to get their hubby to the hospital in an emergency where no help is available.
Emergencies are the exact reason I'm always trying to encourage all women everywhere to learn to drive. In our 3 years of fulltime RVing we've had 3 family emergencies come up (not us, but our older parents) and one accident (hubby did in his back) which means I've been left alone w/ the rig 4 times. I've had to move, unhook/hook-up, dump, drive you-name-it on my own. Not a problem since I insisted on learning to drive & operate everything on the rig early on, but would have been an issue if I hadn't.

I really think BOTH partners should know how to do everything on the rig. You just never know when something might happen...

Nina
Old 11-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
I guess I might be weird as I love to drive our class A and get very nervous when the DH wants to drive. I'm very comfortable in driving our rig as this is our second one and prior to this I drove our truck with Lance Camper. You still can see everything if your driving and have control. LOVE IT!!!
HartsRving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:55 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
I'll answer for the wife ( because she said I can) She Loves the huge one piece windshield and sits with the Yorkie beside her, plays her music and makes notes on her ipad. The only thing she dislikes is when ever she goes to the potty it seems to shake back and fourth alot back there....... for the life of me I cannot figure what causes that.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forum