Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2017, 07:42 PM   #1

AAA plus RV

Has anyone used AAA for towing or roadside assistance?
I’ve heard bad things about Good Sam & Coach Net.
This is our 1st MH, we have had 2 TT, & AAA rv for yrs. They have come to our rescue 2X, were very fast, with in 1 hr & brought right equip 1st time.
RM travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2017, 07:46 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We have had it for years, never had to use it! Pease of Mind [emoji57]
WReeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:57 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have it and used it twice! They sent the right truck and towed us 130 miles. Did right by us both times. AAA, we were 2,000mi from home.

Mike
Old 12-13-2017, 08:07 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM travelers View Post
Has anyone used AAA for towing or roadside assistance?
I’ve heard bad things about Good Sam & Coach Net.
This is our 1st MH, we have had 2 TT, & AAA rv for yrs. They have come to our rescue 2X, were very fast, with in 1 hr & brought right equip 1st time.
Everybody is quick to post about the bad times they have with a company but not the good times. We have only had to use AAA for our toad and daily drivers and have had good service. The Tech that came out to jump our toad (DW left the key in wrong position while towing) did say we needed a new battery but we declined. That was over 2 years ago and the battery is still in the car. I've also heard that it depends on what part of the country you are in when you need them on the kind of service you get.
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:32 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We used them for years until last summer. We had a blow out on our enclosed trailer and they would not cover someone coming and changing it for us. Now we just use the roadside assistance coverage that comes with our regular RV insurance, which I didn't know was just as good as AAA.

It doesn't cover our other vehicles, however, where AAA would have.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:41 PM   #6

Have called them twice for car issues in the past and they were great.

I called them twice for faulty door locks with the rv and they could not help at all. First time ended up getting a lock smith myself and second time got in through an open window and took the lock apart.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:02 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
One of my friends had a coolant line blow and he used CAA. They towed it to a shop, and also paid for his hotel for 1 night as he was over 150 km. from home.
They showed up in good time, stored the rig in a secure yard until morning, then towed it to a shop that did the repairs.
Overall, I would say he was really happy with the service.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:19 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two years ago I blew an inside dual tire near Los Banos California. Csaa sent two tow trucks, one with the correct Michelin tire and the other big one to tow us to Fresno, 70 miles away, to the Workhorse dealer. $2,000 for the tire and tow.
Then there was about $12,000 of damage done by the blow out. CSAA paid it all without a question.

They even mistakenly paid me $550 for the tire. I contacted them and corrected the mistake.

You need to have the premium AAA card for the longer towing benefits. Well worth it.

Currently they are replacing my drivers side windshield for $50. Not done with that claim yet.

We had a house flood three years ago to the tune of $32,000. They took care of the entire process without a problem.

So far I'm a happy camper with them. You really don't know what an insurance company is going to pay until you file a claim.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by draboo View Post
We used them for years until last summer. We had a blow out on our enclosed trailer and they would not cover someone coming and changing it for us. Now we just use the roadside assistance coverage that comes with our regular RV insurance, which I didn't know was just as good as AAA.

It doesn't cover our other vehicles, however, where AAA would have.

Have had nothing but good luck w/AAA for our reg autos, even cars we were riding in that weren’t ours. Wife road with friend to Austin fm Houston, friends car had 2 flats, towed to tire place. Sorry to hear you had bad experience. Just wondering how they would do for MH.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:49 AM   #10

Tks for all the replies. Too bad not everyone has had good experience. We don’t have their insurance, just AAA plus premier, will look into insurance next go around. Before GPS, AAA tripTik & maps were really good. Tried to use tripTik again last yr & was very poor. AAA app for phone only good for calling for roadside & cheapest fuel near by.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:08 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
What is anyone’s experience with the Good Sam Roadside assistance?
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:52 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanTerry View Post
What is anyone’s experience with the Good Sam Roadside assistance?

We had GS for several years.

The one time we needed them, the service was poor.

We had a front right side steer tire blowout and ended up in a plowed field about 30 feet off the road (it was I-45 south of Dallas).

When I called, GS asked if we had law enforcement on the scene. I said no, since nobody was hurt and we were more than safely off the road and not blocking anything or anybody. The guy at GS said that didn’t matter. He could not dispatch anything until law enforcement was present at the scene. So I called the Texas Department of Public Safety (our State Troopers here in Texas) and explained the situation. They said it “wasn’t an emergency” and they were real busy so it could take a while to get somebody out there.

About two hours later, a trooper rolled up. He eyeballed the scene and asked me straight up, “what am I doing here?” I had to explain to him that he was on the scene because my road service company was refusing to dispatch help until a law enforcement officer was present. He seemed a bit miffed at that explanation, but he stayed around while I called GS back. Naturally, this was a Sunday, Labor Day weekend.

I explained to the GS guy that I needed BOTH a service truck and a tow truck since I carried an unmounted spare and needed to get that mounted. I explained this at least three times. That didn’t help because all GS sent was a tow truck.

When the tow truck showed up about two hours later, he saw right away that he had a problem as we had no tire on the wheel and the coach was down to its axels in mud. Parked as he was up on the shoulder, he knew that if he went into that mud, his big shiny truck could soon join us as a casualty of the mud. So I explained that I had an unmounted spare in the basement.

That cheered up the driver considerably, but then he asked, “Where’s your service truck?”

I explained that I had asked for a service truck, but my roadside assistance guy had failed to dispatch one. The tow truck driver called his dispatcher and was told that their only ST on duty was working a scene on the other side of the county. So then he called a competitor and they sent out a service tuck (another hour and a half) and we got the spare tire mounted. With that accomplished, the tow truck driver was able to hook up his cable and pull us back up on the shoulder, and from there we were able to start the coach and drive off.

In this case, Good Sam’s policies and procedures turned what should have been a three hour problem into a seven hour ordeal. It also cost them extra, since the service truck would have been included in the tow truck dispatch at no extra charge, but since they had to come out separately from a competitor, that was $500 extra.

We switched to CN after that and have never had to use them. We are currently enjoying one year of FREE CN service that Spartan provides to folks who buy a new motor coach on a Spartan chassis.

When that expires, we might try the new lower priced FMCA service.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:26 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I've had Good Sam Roadside Assistance several times over the past years and my experiences with it have been very positive. During 2 trips to Alaska we managed to break down on both trips in nearly the same place, just south of Toad River Lodge on the way back to the States, In both cases a tow truck was dispatched from Fort Nelson, BC and we were towed just over 100 miles to an appropriate repair facility in Fort Nelson. It did take a bit of time on the phone to describe our location to person at GS, but once they understood we were on the Alaska Highway in the middle of nowhere they were able find an authorized tow company and get a truck dispatched. In both cases we did have to wait several hours for the tow truck to arrive and we arrived into Fort Nelson well after dark (that's the wee morning hours in the north country during the summer). In both cases I never saw a bill or paid a penny towards the towing costs and the tow truck driver was friendly, knowledgeable and very professional. In fact the first time the driver came by the shop later in the day to see how we were doing.
As for our current MH we have roadside assistance as part of the extended warranty or I would once again have GS.

BTW both of the shops we were towed to in Fort Nelson performed the repair work in a timely manner and at a reasonable cost.
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:43 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Unfortunately the Northeast AAA Club does not cover RV's so I dropped them and have had Good Sam for 4 years. Very happy with their 3-4 tows of my MH in the first year we owned it. Haven't had to use it for MH tows since.

They are comparable to AAA as far as covering our cars for they few times we have needed them for a tow or jump start.