Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2016, 01:01 PM   #15

Well that's exactly right! You can carry an "Old-Biscuit" with you but for a "New-Biscuit" requires water! OK you could use milk but that doesn't fit the narrative.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2016, 06:28 PM   #16

One more question that's a little off the subject and that is this. When you arrive at an RV park with a sewer hookup. Do you have the black tank running into the sewer the entire time you're there? Or do you dump when your gauges say you need too or just before you leave?

I think I read somewhere that its best NOT to keep you black tank open and running into the sewer all the time. Or did I read that wrong?

Old 04-13-2016, 06:45 PM   #17

Our MH has 72 gallons of gray tank, 50 gallons of black tank and 100 gallons of fresh. We haven't boondocked enough to tell you about how long the fresh will last, but the black tank at 50 gallons lasts us 8-10 days. We never flush the black tank unless it is 50% or more full as it does not empty well and you run the risk of solids building up and eventually clogging the tank. For that same reason do not leave the valves open. The grey tank at 72 gallons lasts us 2 -2.5 days if we both shower, but we put in a higher flow shower head, but that is hooked up at a park and not trying to conserve. I suspect we could easily add 50-75% more time to the duration.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
One more question that's a little off the subject and that is this. When you arrive at an RV park with a sewer hookup. Do you have the black tank running into the sewer the entire time you're there? Or do you dump when your gauges say you need too or just before you leave?

I think I read somewhere that its best NOT to keep you black tank open and running into the sewer all the time. Or did I read that wrong?

I always leave black tank valve closed until I leave or it is full. You want that as full as u can get to flush it out when draining. I leave greys open but will close them the day before leaving so I can use the grey tanks to flush out my sewer hose (after I have dumped the black tank before leaving)
Old 04-13-2016, 06:51 PM   #19

Also, don't trust the gauges as they are notoriously inaccurate
Old 04-13-2016, 06:51 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
WyoFree, don't leave the black tank valve open all the time. It should be flushed when ¾ to full to achieve maximum flow and flushing. If you leave the valve open the solids won't flow as there will not be enough water flow.
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:56 PM   #21

Quote:

Only dump your black tank when necessary or before leaving a park. You want the fluids in there to help evacuate the solids. I lleave the grey tank open to let it flow when hooked up. We go about 4 days till we have to dump and refill water. 100 fresh 50/50 waste.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:04 PM   #22

Thank you all very much. I thought I read that about not leaving the black tank hooked up and running. There's a lot to know and take in but once you know it you know it and that's the good part. You folks have been great!
Old 04-13-2016, 07:07 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
We always travel with full fresh water tank, 100 gallons. We have never filled up the blank tank before the grey tank got full.

When we are boondocking we go into Ultra conservative mode. We take "Navy Showers", use water to get wet then shut water off, lather up, then rinse off. We have a shower head that you can shut off so it isn't a chore to get the water the right temp.

Also, in the AM before we get ready to take a shower I will catch the water in a pot until it gets hot. I'll use the water for cooking, coffee, or doing dishes.

I'll do dishes in a small plastic tub and then dump this water in the black tank via the toilet.

We have gone 10 days without a problem.

When we are at a campground we do not leave the blank tank valve open.

Do a search for "Toilet Paper Tepee" and you'll get some interesting reading. If you leave the valve open the fluid will run out but the solids will start building a Tepee right below the toilet. The Tepee will get dried out and form a large solid object. When you close the valve and start filling the tank the "Tepee will float around and when you dump your tanks again it has the potential of blocking the piping. Huge problem to get it out.

On of my friends had this problem, had to take the black valve off and used high pressure hose to get the Tepee broken up and flushed out. Not a nice job.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:25 AM   #24

Quote:

Look at it this way........

A fast flowing river can carry boulders downstream
A slow moving creek can barely move a pebble out if the way

Waste tank drain valve(s) always OPEN.....that's the same as that slow moving creek

Leaving Black tank drain open WILL result in the dreaded 'poop pryamid' which will take time/effort to get rid of.

Leaving Grey tank drain open CAN result in accumulation of food particles, sluffed off skin, grease/oils, soap scum etc. being left behind because that slow moving creek can't carry that stuff ot of tank.

And then there are the Sewer Flies.....they live/breed in sewer/septic line and WILL come up thru your sewer hose and set up house, have babies, invite their cousins to come live in your waste tanks

I don't bother hooking up sewer hose until I am going to dump (Full Tanks).....then dumped black--flush/rinse then dump grey
Flush FULL toilet bowl of water TWICE to add water back to bottom of tank so anything still in there doesn't stick/dry out and black tank is ready to use while in transit.

When to dump?
Toilet 'burps' when you flush
Sink/shower starts to drain slower
I haven't even looked at those 'gauges' in over 7 yrs.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:31 AM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The longest we've gone with the present rig was 7 days and the tanks weren't even ½ full with the two of us.
95 gal fresh
60 grey
60 black

Our rig has both the stinky slinky and a SaniCon pump. I don't like the SaniCon as it doesn't let the tanks drain fast enough so I usually use the slinky. If I do use the SaniCon I also run the tank flush several times and even then I don't think it's as good a job and the old slinky.
We inherited a partly filled black tank when we bought this one and I'm still trying to get it cleaned correctly. Have Rid Ex in it over the winter lay up. Normally I wouldn't use it in a holding tank but due to the long lay up I'm hoping it works on the pyramid!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:03 AM   #26

I read someplace that on average you fill up 2 grays to 1 black.

We always trve with full water and dump whenever necessary. Several times over the years we have been happy we have water as the campground had a failure or bad weather and the water stopped flowing.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:18 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Hi Clay,

OK, that give me 5+ days worth of fresh water and enough room in gray and black to as well. So based on 5 days on the road, you would have a full fresh tank.

Do you adjust the amount of fresh water based on the trip, or do you fill it for every trip?
While traveling from place to place we kept about five gallons or so in the fresh water tank We never boon docked. When stopped for a while at an RV park we kept 20 gallons or so in the tank in case the park water supply went down. We switched over to the pump and used that water every couple of weeks and then replaced it.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:49 AM   #28

When you plug into park water does it bypass the fresh water tank? Or does it fill the fresh water tank and keeps filling it as its used?

Tags
fresh water, travel, water