Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2016, 11:56 AM   #29

It does not fill the fresh water tank, provided you have your valves set correctly.

69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2016, 12:10 PM   #30

Meaning you can choose to fill or not fill the fresh tank. If you choose to fill the tank is that the only place you can fill the water or is there another? I know some coaches have a fuel fill on both sides and is that also true with water?

Old 04-14-2016, 12:17 PM   #31

It all depends on what RV you have. My MH I can fill through the freshwater hook up by switching valves, or through a fill hole on the side. I've read some newer MH's don't have the fill hole on the side anymore. I've never heard of an RV with 2 exterior fill holes. Doesn't mean they don't exist though
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:23 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
We've got a 100 gallon fresh tank, 60 gallon grey tank and a 40 gallon black tank. We virtually always start each trip (defined as when we drive out of the storage lot) with 100 gallons of fresh water and empty black and gray tanks.

How far that 100 gallons and total holding tank capacity will take us all depends on how we use it. Our habits will no doubt be different than ours. That said - here's how it seems to work for us.

If we make no significant conservation efforts (i.e., flush after every use, not making an effort to conserve water during food prep / cleanup, each of us taking a 3-5 minute shower each day, doing 1 load of wash each day) - we'll need to dump the holding tanks and refill every 3rd day.

If we take minor steps to conserve (i.e., "dry flush" #1s, consciously try to reduce the amount of water used during food prep / cleanup, each of us take a "navy" shower ... forego doing any laundry) - we can usually go 5 days without too much effort.

Getting much past 5 days means using campground toilets (except the middle of the night trips), switching to paper plates to significantly reduce water used for food prep/cleanup, showering every 2nd or 3rd day, foregoing any laundry, etc.

For us - it's grey tank holding capacity that's usually the first to go. The tank sensors are there to either scare you or make you feel good ... but can (and will!) be wrong in either direction depending on their whim. We know we've hit the end of the line when the shower stops draining. We happily err on the side of caution to avoid this if at all possible.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:33 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
When you plug into park water does it bypass the fresh water tank? Or does it fill the fresh water tank and keeps filling it as its used?
Depends in how you get water.....

Some rigs have a 'water panel' when you connect 'city water' and then have switches/valves that you set to 'FILL' for adding water to fresh water tank and then swap back to 'Normal' or 'city water' etc when tank is full otherwise tank will continue to fill/overflow and saok you CG site

Some rigs have a gravity fill port where you stick hose in and fill fresh water tank until full then secure hose otherwise tank will overflow and soak your CG site
For 'city water' you have a hose connection (make sure it isn't the one for black tank flush system or you could fill black tank and have water coming out of toilet flooding into rv OR poor out of roof top vent spewing down onto rv roof/sides and CG site----yikes!)
Old 04-14-2016, 06:02 PM   #34

Quote:
When you plug into park water does it bypass the fresh water tank? Or does it fill the fresh water tank and keeps filling it as its used?

Mine has a gravity fill that directly fills the freshwater tank. When I connect city water (at the campground, at home etc) it will feed the faucets directly inside the camper. Or I turn a valve and it will send that water to the freshwater tank (power fill)
Old 04-14-2016, 06:34 PM   #35

Thank's for not watering down your answers guys!
Old 04-14-2016, 07:33 PM   #36
Klc

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks WyoFree for asking these questions, as I was wondering the same things. Thank you also those who responded. Your answers were easy to understand and greatly appreciated. So much to learn. . .
Old 04-14-2016, 07:36 PM   #37

Thanks Klc, I'm glad you said that because sometimes I just feel like I'm asking something stupid. And your right, these folks are great!
Old 04-14-2016, 07:40 PM   #38

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

Most have a valve that needs to be manually changed. One position fills the tank, the other bypasses the tank and runs the water directly into the plumbing.
On ours it automatically bypasses the onboard tank. To fill the tank I hook up to water and press a button, then the tank fills to 90% (although I can change that to more or less) capacity and the tank fill shuts off. Yah, it's all electric and automatic.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:31 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
60 gal black tank, 2 adults, 2 children and we have gone 6-8 days without dumping. We travel with full fresh water tank, 100 gallons.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:43 AM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't travel with full water due to the weight. So I keep 20 or so gallons of fresh when traveling. Then when I know I will be boondocking I will fill up the fresh as close as possible to the boondocking location.
When in a campground I leave black and gray valves shut. When black gets ready to dump then empty it and then the gray. This gives the best flush of the sewer line.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:23 PM   #41

Most motor homes that I have seen will have a black and grey tank that together they will take in as much water as to the size of the fresh water tank.
For instance: Most will have like 55 gallon grey and 45 gallon black which = 100 gallons of fresh water.

We usually can go about five days, then we need to dump. It all depends on the individual and how long he/she likes to stay in the shower.

I always travel with a full tank of fresh water because if you get into some strong winds it gives you weight at low center of gravity making the coach ride much better.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:31 PM   #42

Hi Ray, what a great comment on the "Center of Gravity". I'd of not thought of that but it's so very true! Great thing to know!

Tags
fresh water, travel, water