Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2016, 11:30 AM   #1

ABC’s of “Gray, Black & Fresh water traveling?

The questions I’m asking are based on two adults traveling in a 38’ gas motorhome.

Gray 60 gal.
Black 86 gal.
Fresh 75 gal.

• Based on the above information, how long would it reasonably take until the Black tank would need to be emptied?

• I expect that most do not travel will a full tank of Fresh water. But if you’re traveling a long distance, like from Florida to Montana, 2300 miles and 5 days of travel. How much fresh water would be needed for the toilets, dish washing and once a day “quick” showers?

I realize you can dump and add fresh water along the way but I’d think you wouldn’t want to have to do that if you didn’t have to. I’m just trying to get an idea of what to expect?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2016, 11:41 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We used about 14 gallons of fresh water per day, added about 10 gallons to the gray tank each day and about 3 1/2 gallons per day to the black tank.

One shower per day. We alternated taking showers - me one day and her the next and so on.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:50 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
The questions I’m asking are based on two adults traveling in a 38’ gas motorhome.

Gray 60 gal.
Black 86 gal.
Fresh 75 gal.

• Based on the above information, how long would it reasonably take until the Black tank would need to be emptied?

• I expect that most do not travel will a full tank of Fresh water. But if you’re traveling a long distance, like from Florida to Montana, 2300 miles and 5 days of travel. How much fresh water would be needed for the toilets, dish washing and once a day “quick” showers?

I realize you can dump and add fresh water along the way but I’d think you wouldn’t want to have to do that if you didn’t have to. I’m just trying to get an idea of what to expect?
86 gal black tank??? Wow, I have never heard of a coach (gas or dp) that the black tank is bigger (by a lot) than the gray tank. That's a new one on me.

In any case, I don't anyone can predict what "your" usage would be and therefore can't really provide you with even a good estimate. But with an 86 gal black tank, that should last about a half of a year...., just kidding of course.

You really just need to find out for yourself through experience. However, in my opinion, and with all due respect, I seriously doubt if you have an 86 black tank.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:51 AM   #4

Hi Clay,

OK, that give me 5+ days worth of fresh water and enough room in gray and black to as well. So based on 5 days on the road, you would have a full fresh tank.

Do you adjust the amount of fresh water based on the trip, or do you fill it for every trip?
Old 04-13-2016, 11:53 AM   #5

Hi laniard,

You were posting as I was. This is a Newmar Canyon Star and it has two black tanks because its a bath and a half.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:02 PM   #6

When boon - docking two of us have gone 6-7 days on typical sized black and gray tanks. But, we've never carried water to our next destination, only filled when we got there if staying multiple days. We didn't like carrying extra weight.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:05 PM   #7

Here's the specification information.

Sorry, I can't figure out how to add the specifications to the post?
Old 04-13-2016, 12:08 PM   #8

Hi ralphie,

How do you know there's water where you boondock?
Old 04-13-2016, 12:10 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We always try and carry full tank of fresh water when we travel. Just never know when you might breakdown in an area and be stranded a couple of days. Might add that I don't see any difference in MPG with tank full or empty.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:20 PM   #10

Hi kketterling,

I was thinking about that too. I would think the MPG difference full water to empty would be hard to read. Thanks
Old 04-13-2016, 12:23 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We have 75 gal ea black and grey and traveling much the same( showers etc) and can go about a 6 days . Or more .We have 100 gal fresh and travel with it full , I plan to be prepared in case .... Yes it weighs a lot but the coach already gets lousy mileage .. A tenth won't break the bank and I know I can survive any delay.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:24 PM   #12

Biggest issue with driving with full tanks (water, gray, or black) is the weight added. 100 gallons = 834 pounds if water. Black water may be slightly less (stuff floats).
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:27 PM   #13

I get the extra water etc means extra weight. I also like the idea of having the water if you need it! I've read many posts saying they never leave a park without draining the black and gray tanks. That sounds like a good policy to me.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:48 PM   #14

We Full Timed for 7 yrs
We ALWAYS traveled with FULL Fresh water tank (70 gallons)
This is in a 5th wheel and never worried about the added 580#........truck/trailer scaled at 22,500#

We got caught ONE time w/o water when we first hit the road --------wasn't going to happen again

2 adults living in the 5th wheel moving every week
2 grey tanks (50/28 gal) and black tank (50 gal)
Usually had to fill fresh & dump waste tanks at end of 5th day.........then dump/rinse on AM of travel day and top off fresh

Tags
fresh water, travel, water