Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-08-2016, 06:08 AM   #1
abs/atc lights

I have a 2003 Holiday Rambler Endeavor (Diesel) that has an abs and atc light that stays on. This happened right after I had my fuel filters changed by the RV Shop in Baton Rouge, LA. The rig drives fine but the lights will not go out. I have changed the filters again but this does not remedy the problem. Before I take it in to a truck shop and spend $$$$, does anyone have any idea where the ecu module is located on a similar rig, and whether Holiday Rambler used Bendix systems or some other system.
Any information is greatly appreciated. My wife and I are trying to plan an extended trip and the lights staying on have to indicate some sort of problem.

gromain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2016, 09:23 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Sorry you're here with problems.

The ABS light being on is an indication that the anti-lock function isn't operational ; not necessarily a problem with the service brakes; there are a couple of fuses , in the ABS , ECU circuits that need to be checked ; battery and ignition power. If the fuses are good then a wheel speed sensor ( or related wiring) is the next most common problem , and if the fuel filters are close to a wheel then that would be the place to start.
My F/L chassis the ABS ECU is on the frame , above the differential , if , along with the filter change , other fluid levels were checked then a look around the differential would be in order.

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:55 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ok, your talking about a early 2000's Monaco brand.
These are notorious for ground issues in the dash.
Abs lights and many gauges are kind of hit and miss.
I cannot say you do not have an issue with the abs.
I can say when my abs light comes on I know it will go off sometime and I don't think about it twice.
Kind of like when my low fuel light comes on every time I fill the tank.
It's a Monaco tradition.
2001 Monaco Windsor 40 PBD
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:18 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
My ABS module is located in the front drivers side electrical bay, in the lower left hand corner. I can retrieve blink codes by turning the key on, depressing the brake pedal once and then going outside and pressing a small button on the board for 1 second. There is an LED that will give your blink codes. If nothing is wrong it will give you a 1-1. If there is it will give you a series of blinks.

I've had a number of problems.

The button on the control module gets dirt in it and eventually will vibrate and stick in. This will cause the ABS light to say on all the time. I've taken the board off and used compressed air to clean it.

The board relies on screws for grounding, you can try and take the screws out, clean and put back in. A better fix is to run a separate ground wire to the grounding bar in the front run bay.

If you can check blink codes this may pin point your problem. Las time I had an intermittent problem I checked and got a code for a sensor on the front drivers side wheel. Took the sensor out, cleaned and reinstalled and all is good.

Also, there is a process to clear the codes but it takes 2 people because one has to be in the cab to press brake pedal while the other presses the button on the control module.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:49 PM   #5
I would try clearing the abs light first. My abs comes on if my fuel filters need attention. You can press the button multiple times and that usually does it
davdamon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:29 PM   #6
I would drive it a while and see if the lights go off. These coaches have electrical gremlins that live in the dash.

Anyway, the code might clear but I would suspect your brakes are fine. I have driven RV's many miles and have never known a situation where the ABS would or should kick in.
I would suspect if you were on a sheet of ice or heavy snow it could be a concern but under normal conditions IMO I wouldn't worry about it even if the ABS wasn't operating. The Traction control light comes on by default when the ABS throws a code because Traction Control uses the ABS. On my FL Chassis the module is above the rear axle towards the back. I suppose you could have it scanned to see what the codes are really saying which will lead you down the path of wheel sensors, etc.
02 Bounder 39Z 5.9 Cummins
CR-V Toad
Dad, Mom, 5 year old and 1 Year old
jblondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:55 PM   #7
On my unit, my book tells me that once you look at the codes, start your rig and drive OVER 35 mph, 3 times, the light will go out. I did and it does. You can google your specific model and download the manual. Should help in understanding how it works and what the different codes mean.

Tom and Linda
Original owners
2001 CC Intrigue 40' Suite of Dreams
CC Driver is offline   Reply With Quote

abs, light, lights