Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2016, 08:22 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
ABS light Intermittent

Hi all. Picked up our 2006 HR Navigator from RV repair shop today. Had to have dash AC fixed. RV guy said when he backed it up last week the ABS light came on at start up and then stayed on. But it did not come on(and stay on) when he pulled it into the bay to fix the AC. Today I drove it appx 36 miles home, No ABS light. But when I started backing it up into our storage area, light came on and stayed on. anyone ever deal with an intermittent light like this?? Suppose to leave on a trip next Saturday.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2016, 09:13 PM   #2

An ABS light is an indication of problems with the ABS system, and being on means the ABS function is not available.
It is not an indication of problems with the service brakes; and their operation should not be effected .
The ABS, ECM runs checks of the wheel sensors during every engine start up, if all sensors check out the light goes off, if they don't the light stays on.
Light on on one start up and not the next , 99.9% of the time indicates a sensor problem ; without test equipment to say which sensor is not responding, checking the wiring to each wheel and cleaning each sensor, may fix the issue.
If your service brake operation is normal and you have no play in the steering wheel , indicating a front wheel bearing problem, the coach can be driven.
In my last truck , current van and coach , I've had ABS braking systems , and once on icy roads have they come into use. Six years in the truck , sixteen years in the van and now seven years in the coach , if you can't get it fixed I for one wouldn't be afraid to drive with the ABS light on.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:29 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On a trip the ABS light on our 2006 Tiffin Allegro Open Road with the Workhorse chassis came on.

I called an authorized Workhorse service center and they said they couldn't work on it for at least 2 weeks but the Service manager told me to check the brake fluid and test the brakes to make sure they would stop me. He also told me to check each wheel after driving for excessive heat build up. He said if all of the above checked out ok it was probably either a loose wire or a dirty sensor and it wouldn't cause any problems but to keep an eye on it and have it checked when we got home.

After driving about 200 miles the light went off. When we got home I took it to my service department and had them check it and they couldn't find anything wrong so it must have been a dirty sensor.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:02 PM   #4

A couple things. I'm assuming you have air and a tag. You can check the modulator valves by holding the brake pedal down and turning on the ignition key. No need to start. You should hear 6 air pops,one from each wheel. This is good practice to cycle frequently since there rarely used. The other thing is if you lift your tag while in motion this sometime will confuse the brake ecm requiring a soft boot by turning off the engine and restarting. You may have a blink code switch allowing you to activate the self diagnostics .That info would be specific to your chassis and should be in your manual. Hope this gets you started
Old 09-03-2016, 06:28 AM   #5

Thanks for all the great info. Yes IASM we have the air and tag so I will try what you suggested. And we have the Roadmaster Chassie. I foumd it odd that the light only came on when backing up and not at all on the trip home. And as I recall I did lift the tag to back it into the storage area. Brakes seem to be fine. They do have a bit of a squeal but we live on a very dusty rock road and they always have dust on them. My owners manual does indicate there is a way to enter a diagnostics mode for the ABS but I havnt figured out how to do it yet. If there are any other 2006 Navigator owners out there I'd appreciate it if you could tell me how.

We have a big truck repair shop not to far from us so I may give them a call Tuesday. In the meantime I will see if I can check the wheel sensors.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:27 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I would try and get the blink code to try and pin point the problem.

Over the years I've a number of problems with my ABS system.

I had a ground problem, I first cleaned the mounting screws, it helped but the problem came back. Finally installed a seperate ground wire, seems to have fixed this problem.

My ABS came on and stayed, received the blink code and it indicated that the front drivers side wheel sensor was out of spec. Pulled it out, cleaned, and reinstalled, that solved that problem.

Last ~4K mile trip no problems.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I would try and get the blink code to try and pin point the problem.

Over the years I've a number of problems with my ABS system.

I had a ground problem, I first cleaned the mounting screws, it helped but the problem came back. Finally installed a seperate ground wire, seems to have fixed this problem.

My ABS came on and stayed, received the blink code and it indicated that the front drivers side wheel sensor was out of spec. Pulled it out, cleaned, and reinstalled, that solved that problem.

Last ~4K mile trip no problems.
Thanks. Not sure where the sensors are but I will look. Light does not blink just steady. Trying now to figure out how to run the diagnostics. Owners manual is not real clear on how to do it but evidently you can.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:43 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have a ABS module in my front drivers side run bay. It is about 4" X 4". There is a small black button on it with a LED bulb next to it. The procedure for checking was in my manual with an addendum as the procedure to check changed.

I have to turn the ignition on without starting coach, press the brake pedal 1 time, go outside to the front run bay and press the black button for <1 second. The LED light will provide blink codes and/or a 1-1 blink code meaning everything is OK.

I did a quick look at your manual and you do have the ability to recover fault codes from you information center, just have to follow the procedure to recover them.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #9

Quote:
I have a ABS module in my front drivers side run bay. It is about 4" X 4". There is a small black button on it with a LED bulb next to it. The procedure for checking was in my manual with an addendum as the procedure to check changed.

I have to turn the ignition on without starting coach, press the brake pedal 1 time, go outside to the front run bay and press the black button for <1 second. The LED light will provide blink codes and/or a 1-1 blink code meaning everything is OK.

I did a quick look at your manual and you do have the ability to recover fault codes from you information center, just have to follow the procedure to recover them.
Thanks. I'll get the Navigator owners manual out and take another look. I didn't see any reference on how to get diagnostics for the ABS.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:29 PM   #10

[QUOTE=sunset4k;3238206]Thanks. I found that in the manual a few minutes ago and tried it and all I got was a warning of low air pressure. Using the m and t buttons to access the diagnostics didn't work and I think it's because I did not have the engine on and the air pressure up to normal i.e. Travel mode.

Gonna keep working on this. And thanks for all the great help provided!!!
Old 09-03-2016, 04:27 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Once you figure out how to recover the codes you'll have to find a manual for you ABS system that has the fault codes listed. Mine is an Eaton/Bendix ABS system and I was able to download a manual. Find out what system you have and do a search and you should find one on line. I found a service manual that completely explains the system including troubleshooting and fault codes.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Once you figure out how to recover the codes you'll have to find a manual for you ABS system that has the fault codes listed. Mine is an Eaton/Bendix ABS system and I was able to download a manual. Find out what system you have and do a search and you should find one on line. I found a service manual that completely explains the system including troubleshooting and fault codes.
Awesome. Thank you. Out of pocket tonight. Will tackle this tomorrow. I e downloaded many manuals that were missing when we bought this coach.

Tags
abs, light