Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #1

AC condensation

OK, I know it is hot thoughout much of the USA this time of year and I know ACs condense to drops of water. With that said, my question is does your AC condense a lot? Not sure of the proper number/volume for a "lot", but my front AC drips more than I can remember any other AC I ever had dripping. Irritating part is that due, partially to the way the coach is built, most of the puddling is rght behind entry step (I know, tilt more to to left) and/or down drivers side window. Is a significant amount a bad sign or perhaps just something I have never noticed before and not a concern?

Recently I was parked for a day or so fairly unlevel and when I got started on road some water flowed down inside of windshield and a small amount ran on floor from AC vent above. I assume this accumalation was puddled condensation that due to tilt, did not run out proper channels to roof. (?) I will certainly have this checked next time in shop but just wondered if any of you had experience a condensation problem simular.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #2

More humid it is the more water there is I get a pretty good puddle were it runs down.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #3

I can fill several buckets with the condensation from a roof AC here in humid SC, especially after a good rain.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #4

What you are observing is 100% normal. When very humid it's also very important to keep the cold air return filters as clean as possible and the fans on high rather than low or auto. You need the max amount of air flow across the coils to keep ice from forming and then causing water to run out of the registers below the coils when this ice melts. That may have been the source of what you saw on the inside.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #5

You can lay a bead of silicone caulk from your AC to your gutter line in an effort to relocate the drainage. Lots of drainage is a GOOD sign as it is stating the AC is working well and it is removing humidity from inside your vehicle. Of course the more in and out of the door or opening and closing of windows will allow humidity inside thus creating more drainage.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On a hot dry day in Airzonia, Not very much

On a hot HUMID day in Michigan.. kind of resembles Niagra falls up there.

Yes, they can condense water at rates high enough to shower with.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #7

Thanks guys. great info. Makes me feel much better about my AC. Seems I always have the fear it is going to play out. Funny, I do not worry about my AC unit at home, but do not put the same trust in the RV unit.

Steve, perhaps my problem with the internal water built up in sub-roof a week or so ago was partially because I had left AC on auto (and thermosat around 80) while we took a two day-two night trip in the truck leaving MH at RV park( That was in LA, 104 degree temps and plenty humid.). With this setting on AC maybe we had ice built up like you mentioned, it puddled somewhere in ceiling, then when we got level and pulled out it searched for a place to drain. Thanks for tip about leaving on high rather than low or auto. It does make sense. I had so often used the theory that the less the AC ran the less work load, in reality that is probably not a good theory since the condenser is going to come on when themostat triggers.....and continuous running of fan may be no more danger than the on/off style of auto coupled with the heat outside (no matter if set at 75 or 85).

As always, appreciate the fine, learning information.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck454 View Post
Thanks guys. great info. Makes me feel much better about my AC. Seems I always have the fear it is going to play out. Funny, I do not worry about my AC unit at home, but do not put the same trust in the RV unit.

Steve, perhaps my problem with the internal water built up in sub-roof a week or so ago was partially because I had left AC on auto (and thermosat around 80) while we took a two day-two night trip in the truck leaving MH at RV park( That was in LA, 104 degree temps and plenty humid.). With this setting on AC maybe we had ice built up like you mentioned, it puddled somewhere in ceiling, then when we got level and pulled out it searched for a place to drain. Thanks for tip about leaving on high rather than low or auto. It does make sense. I had so often used the theory that the less the AC ran the less work load, in reality that is probably not a good theory since the condenser is going to come on when themostat triggers.....and continuous running of fan may be no more danger than the on/off style of auto coupled with the heat outside (no matter if set at 75 or 85).

As always, appreciate the fine, learning information.
I understand your feeling of distrust in the RV units completely. The reality is that they are pretty reliable units with the one weakness that they can't reasonable be recharged with "freon". I have come to believe after 6 years of full time living that, like so many other RV systems, it's better to run them than let them sit. I have 3 units of 2003 manufacture. The only malfunction I have had (knock wood) is the solenoid controlling the reversing valve on the bedroom unit. At least one and sometimes all three are running all the time. We set the fan on high and the temp just below 70 and rarely change anything.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #9

Steve, I know I really should put more trust in my RVs systems, be it AC, refrig, etc, and I am going to try to do that in future. If I would just give more thought to all of you out there who full time where your MH is your home so why should I not treat and trust my MH like I do things about my stationary home. Truth is, I have certainly had my share of AC troubles in my home.

As I have admited on this wire, I perhaps jumped into this MH buy with not enough preparation, research, etc so I am learning as I go so to speak. Fortunately I did not make to bad a choice, but certainly often find things that should have been thought through more. With the AC, the rear air is so noisy my wife can hardly hear TV, but I recently learned it was not just our AC but more of the type (and a standard throuout the industry) that has return beside outlet (all in same unit) ...noise mostly being the return noise rather than output. Learned this last weekend looking at a really nice 2006 Essex that was so quiet, the returns were separate ducts from outlets. With our unit, in order to really get good cooling when hot is to use air dump which makes noise louder.

So much to learn, and a learning that may come with a heavy price tag....meaning a trade to get the goodies I really want now. Fortunatedly I believe the DO is seeing her hast also, but we do love having a MH and ours is very nice.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lots of dripping is good. Sounds like your units are working like they should. Design limits on how you can get rid of the water generated on the roof of your MH has been a problem for years. If it ran thru a pipe inside your MH like you home unit does, can you imagine the problem cleaning it out if it's plugged. I use my shop vac religiously at home to suck out the drain line. Keep your little gutters clean on the roofline of you MH and enjoy the cool.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yep, they will drop good. Been a couple of times where I have pulled into a park and the person standing at my window got wet.

tk
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck454 View Post
Thanks guys. great info. Makes me feel much better about my AC. Seems I always have the fear it is going to play out.
In very simple terms.. Yes, it will play out, It will fail.. May be 10-20 years from now but it Will fail (Think positive they always taught me)

Took mine 7 years (One of them) and the result was 111.1111 percent as much cooling for the same power line load. (We replaced it)

This is my 2nd failure on the A/C in this room.. The first time I replaced a motor, the 2nd time the entire upper unit (Even though the lower unit is an orphan, carrier V, I was able to re-use it).

I now have a few spare parts for my front Carrier though (Thus it will never fail).
Old 08-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
The reality is that they are pretty reliable units with the one weakness that they can't reasonable be recharged with "freon"....

When you say "they can't reasonable be recharged with "freon"." is that just the roof AC or the cab AC as well?
DeejayDebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeejayDebi View Post
When you say "they can't reasonable be recharged with "freon"." is that just the roof AC or the cab AC as well?
I'm referring to the roof top A/C units. The cab A/C can be serviced just like any automotive type unit.