Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2015, 10:21 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
AC cooling expectations in Hot weather

This will be my first summer with my new rig and was wondering what are the realistic temp changes I should expect to get with 2 - 15000btu units on a 37ft class A

When it gets 95 out is 75 realistic?

I think a 20 degree change is realistic in a standard home situation how about a MH? What is everyone else getting.

Dave

Texas Boomers and FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2015, 10:23 AM   #2

Totally realistic! My RV will turn into a meat locker with an 1100 and a 1500 running full time. Just start it early and let it run! (34 footer)

Old 06-07-2015, 10:28 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Also results depend on color of coach(dark full-body paint), R-factor of insulation in walls and ceiling, orientation(windshields facing sun generate a LOT of heat), awning use, parking in shade(or not), number of slides(sq. ft.), starting cooling early in the day, inside cooking, etc, etc.

You will probably be fine.
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:05 AM   #4

20 degree difference is about the max on a MH. We o as others have stated, start early before it gets warm inside. We can usually turn our fans down to the low setting once it cools down an it holds the temp.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:07 PM   #5

20 degrees is not the max inside to outside differential it is the offset from return air temperature to conditioned air temperature. Essentially if you cool the RV to 75 degrees, the air coming out of the AC into the plenum (not vents) should be 55 degrees. Weather it's 95 outside or not really doesn't matter if you have good insulation from the outside world to the inside.

I can be in the shade with 98 degree outside temperature and have it 70 inside.

I cant be in full sun in 98 degree temps and have it 70 inside. The skin radiates too much heat inside for the AC to overcome. In that situation your lucky to get it to 80.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:22 PM   #6

I find that the biggest heat gain is that massive front glass. The better you can insulate the windshield (front cover, shades, foil insulation), the easier the coach will be to keep cool.
A 37 footer with 2 15k's should keep you nice and cool.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:26 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Look into the types of screens that you put on the OUTSIDE of your front windshield, in addition to the blinds that you (probably) already have on the inside. We live and camp mostly in south Tx, with temps in the upper 90's and low 100's daily. I would not be without my window screen in the current 40'/3 AC coach, or our previous 35'/2 AC coach.

Highly recommend PromptRvScreens, or if you have the extra cash and like magnets, MagnaShade.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
In TX, we look for east or north facing.
navychop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:06 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are headed to Fla for 2-3 weeks.... new rig, first time out with it in the summer heat just got the windshield shades from Prompt hope they do the job with the 2 ac units. We love it at 72..... hope we can/keep get it close to that.

Texas Boomers and FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:08 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
We usually keep out thermostats set low ~68 and leave at least one of the fans on low to keep the air circulating. Starting out colder it is easier to keep up with the hot days.

We have window awnings that really help to keep the sun off the windows. We will have the main awning out if we are in the RV, never leave it out in case of high winds or storms.

We also have 4 large (3'X4') oval shaped reflective sun shades that we put in the front windshield, drivers side window, and even side window if it is getting extreme sun. These help a lot. I found these at Big Lots. It also helps to close the curtain in the front, it will trap the heat in the void and doesn't radiate into the living area.

And if it gets really hot out I have an external sun shade for the windshield but it's a pain to put out unless we are in one spot or several days.

jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling