Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2017, 06:49 AM   #1

AC does not work with generator

Our AC units will not work under generator power. They run without any problems if we are hooked up to power but for some reason they will not function with the generator. Has anyone experienced this problem and if so what was the solution. Thanks again in advance, this website is awesome!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2017, 06:51 AM   #2

Is this a new problem or new to you MH ?

Old 02-20-2017, 07:10 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita1 View Post
Our AC units will not work under generator power. They run without any problems if we are hooked up to power but for some reason they will not function with the generator. Has anyone experienced this problem and if so what was the solution. Thanks again in advance, this website is awesome!!
First are you sure that everything (115vac) is working with generator on? Make sure the inverter, if you have one, is off. All systems I am aware of, and I am not an expert, that have a transfer switch are identical circuits from the transfer switch on. So it is important to know for sure that 115vac is or is not good in all 115vac circuits on both shore power and generator power.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:17 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita1 View Post
With only 2 posts I am assuming your MH is new as are you. This is great welcome to the site and the fun of RV'ing. My guess is one of two things here, 1 your automatic transfer switch isn't working right, or you have to go into your basement where the power is and switch the power cable over to the generator feed.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:21 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
According to their profile, they have a 32 Four Winds Hurricane if that helps the diagnosis.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:35 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Rita,

Please add the model and year of your motorhome to your signature. The makes it easier to figure out how to approach this problem.

Your generator has one or two circuit breakers mounted on it near the start switch and dipstick to check the oil. Flip those off and then back on. Start your generator and see if you don't have power for your A/C units.

You should also check circuit breakers in the coach. Locate the A/C breakers, turn off and then turn back on.

Sometime you should try and locate which outlets in the coach are not powered by the inverter. This will allow you to quickly check whether or not you are getting power through the generator.

And finally, the transfer switch. The normal setup on a transfer switch is that the generator is the default connection. In other words, the generator is your primary power source, shore power is secondary. Based on what you told us, the generator breakers have tripped and need to be reset.

Got more questions? Keep posting...
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:36 AM   #7

Thank you for the suggestions, I will have my husband check tonight. This is a new problem, last summer we ran the AC under generator power without any issues. We do own a Four Winds Hurricane.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:39 AM   #8

it sounds like your inverter is supplying power to everything in the coach, but the generator BREAKER is tripped, meaning that the generator is running but nothing is going to the coach - therefore the AC will not work.

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:43 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
As luvlabs stated, the generator breakers can trip for unknown reasons and are a common "no power" problem. Possibly the A/C was on before the generator was up to operation conditions, which is normally 2 minutes.
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:50 AM   #10
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Welcome.

As mentioned, there may be a breaker on the generator. You may also need to turn it off to reset it.

In some cases, if you have had batteries go way down the electronics in the thermostat and AC's can get confused. Just like a blue screen on a computer.

You can try removing shore power, generator off, and then turn off or better yet disconnect the negative leads of the batteries for a couple of minutes. Then reconnect and try again.

One other thing that can happen on mine is the switch, if you have one near the entrance, can get bumped and that will remove the 12 volts necessary to run the circuits in the AC's.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:36 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Welcome.

As mentioned, there may be a breaker on the generator. You may also need to turn it off to reset it.

In some cases, if you have had batteries go way down the electronics in the thermostat and AC's can get confused. Just like a blue screen on a computer.

You can try removing shore power, generator off, and then turn off or better yet disconnect the negative leads of the batteries for a couple of minutes. Then reconnect and try again.

One other thing that can happen on mine is the switch, if you have one near the entrance, can get bumped and that will remove the 12 volts necessary to run the circuits in the AC's.
Trouble shoot like this. 1. Make sure the breakers on the gen set are reset. 2. if set check the voltage at the transfer switch, if there is power at the transfer switch make sure it has switched from shore to gen. 3. If power at the transfer switch, check to see if there is power to any of the duplex plugs or Microwave. 4 if no power there check the breakers at the converter.5. If noting there See a repair shop.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:38 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Welcome.

If the 12v circuits are off the AC wont work on either shore or gen. I believe he said it worked on shore.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:26 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some comments about the Generator breakers.. On my coach there are two, both 30 amp. and the handles move side to side, not up and down.
Generally if they move up and down.. UP is on (No guarantees of anythign) but if it's side to side?????? well you may wish to take a flshlight, when the light is right you can see ON/OFF markings on the "Base" of the levers.. Took me several times before the sun was properly positioned.. I then got out my 2nd favorite Brother (The first one is my actual Brother, this one is a P-Touch) and made a label, and stuck it on .. On my generator it worked best on the OFF side (did not cover anything) so I can tell easier.

As noted: I have had these breakers shut off under basically no load conditions. My "Suspect" is vibration,, when the Generator shuts down it can shake thigns up rather well and I think that trips the breakers.

I can tell you though... Sitting on top of over 5,000 watts of ONAN came in kind of handy this summer when Matthew came to visit. I was 3 miles from the mandatory "Get out of town" line (on the safe side) 5' Above the water line and had all the comforts of home, here in my home, including Hot and Cold running water. lights, HEVAC (When generator running) or Fans (cool enough to sleep at night with just fans) Refrigerator worked, Toilets, TV/Radios.. Just like normal.

Save for the PURRRRRRR of that big Onan that is.

I also fed power to one of my neighbors cause.. Well.. he needed it.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:11 PM   #14

Had the same problem, found the issue to be a bad breaker on the generator side. Replaced the breaker, no more problem.

Tags
generator