Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #1

AC Dripping down the side

Hey everybody!

How does your AC drain on your motorhome? We have found ours is draining down the side over a window. Should we be concerned at all?

Is there a way to funnel the draining condensation so it's not going down the side of the rig? We haven't been in a rainstorm yet, so this may be a stupid newbie question. Just thinking it could stain the finish or worse.

We have a 2012 34KD Thor Daybreak.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Roof AC units generally drain onto the roof and the water ends up in the gutters. I have THESE gutter extensions installed on mine to direct the water away from the side. Simple solution to the problem.

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #3

Some have catch cups/drains with internal hoses that drip underneath the coach. Other manufactures forgo the drip cups and just let the condensation drip onto the top of the coach, which inturn, runs down the sides. Depending on the type of A/C units you have, the drain cups are usually visible on the outside/underside of the units.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just like Ramblin, our external A/C condensation rolls off the roof to the gutters.

For us that is still a problem, because the gutters are open ended above the front drivers and passenger side windows - making a mess, dirt staining the gelcoat, and over the long term possibly getting water onto the window frame.

We use the Camco gutter extensions too, trying to fix the issue. But it's not a perfect fix.

Maybe add gutter? Without gutters, I would try to redirect the run-off away from the windows. Maybe you can add a bead or line of the proper roof sealer from a calking gun applicator to take the water where you want it to go(?).

Best of luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We have no drains or gutters. Once the Rv is level and slide out. I see where the water drains , and adjust my jacks slightly so they drain where I want it to go.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlusty View Post
Hey everybody!

How does your AC drain on your motorhome? We have found ours is draining down the side over a window. Should we be concerned at all?

Is there a way to funnel the draining condensation so it's not going down the side of the rig? We haven't been in a rainstorm yet, so this may be a stupid newbie question. Just thinking it could stain the finish or worse.

We have a 2012 34KD Thor Daybreak.

As mentioned, the A/C typically drains onto the roof where it runs downhill. Depending on whether you have gutters or not and the slope of your site, that usually means it runs down the side somewhere.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #7

Here is a gutter product that may help direct the water away from your widows.

Essential Products RV & Marine - EZE RV Gutters
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #8

There is a drain kit available from Dometic that allows the condensate to flow through a hose inside the skin of the motorhome. But this has to be fitted by the manufacturer during the build. I have that on my coach but it all comes down to price as to which coaches are fitted with this or not.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think all A/Cs leak water, just check under your car. I use this method to check how level I am. Inside I use the bathroom door.

Don G.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimesy View Post
I think all A/Cs leak water, just check under your car. I use this method to check how level I am. Inside I use the bathroom door.

Don G.
Yup ... perfectly normal. But .... it's not really a leak. It's actually a condensate drain to get rid of the normal condensation byproduct of A/C.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #11

If you have gutters they should drain to the front or rear of the motorhome and not down a window. You donít say but have you gone up and made sure there is nothing in the gutter obstructing the normal flow. Also if the gutter is not a solid piece if the point where the 2 pieces meet are not sealed well it can drip down at that point. The water is going to take the path of least resistance.