Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2012, 12:31 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post

Can anyone confirm that existing thermostat wiring is sufficient to handle the CCC2 and new AC units?
Here's the scoop. You can use all your existing RJ-11 cabling with the CCC2. The ACs you choose must have the metal box with the control board inside in each AC (Brisk Air). If the ACs you choose to use do not have the CCC2 control board, you need to upgrade those boards to the CCC2.

It's the same as upgrading a 4 button to 5. New thermostat and control boards in each AC.

Here's the CCC2 control board kits:

Dometic 3312020.000 Comfort Control Center II CCC2 Multi-Zone Kit

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Thanks.. This has gone from update the single front AC unit to 15k to upgrade the thermostat and both AC units.... I guess that's just the nature of the beast.

I did get another piece of information in regard to retaining the rear AC with a new control board:

Can anyone confirm that existing thermostat wiring is sufficient to handle the CCC2 and new AC units?

I think I'm going to proceed with the full upgrade. I'm going to look to sell the existing 13.5K units first, which may be easier if I can demo them fully functional like they are right now.
Asking if the wiring is big enough to handle the new ones? Yes..

Asking if the existing control wiring can be used? If its the RJ-11 type (phone), then yes

You must have, or be able to install the CCC2 control board...

Old 08-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
He beat me too it
Old 08-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the continued help. I think I've got this locked down. When I contacted Dometic to confirm, basically here's what they told me:

Quote:
Our suggestion would be to replace w/ a 59516 brisk air.
This would be a drop in unit & your current controls will be compatible.

That is, they're suggesting that I upgrade to a 15k BTU Brisk-Air,
as near as I can tell, this is an older model 15k unit - only one retailer online has it as scratch-and-dent. The advantage is that it appears to work with the 4-button CCC.

Is there anything to be gained with 5-button CCC and the more modern AC control boards?

Old 08-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Well, the 4 button is obsolete. So any future failures with this system will require upgrades anyway. That's why I suggested the 5 button now.

If you looked at the features of the CCC2 system, then it should be obvious of it's advantages. They are however just convienience features. So it's not like your coach is going to cool faster with it
Old 08-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, there is an advantage to the Dometic 5 button thermostat system. It is a newer design that improves on the older problematic design. It is still in production and you can buy replacements for it. It is also more intuitive to press the zone button to change zones rather than two buttons simultaneously.
The old 4 button system has problems with the button switches. Overtime they become non-responsive. If yours does not already have problems, it will in the next few years.

If you plan on keeping the coach, I would recommend updating it.

Also, you do not have to update the control board in the furnace. A new 5 button Dometic thermostat will recognize the furnace and operate it perfectly.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
I was more looking for features like improved management of the compressor, things like that. I'm not a fan of the 4-button unit, but it can be refurbished and the switches are available for about $1/each.....

I understand I can go to newer 15k units and upgrade the CCC to CCC2.... I'll price that option also.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
You're on the right track anyway. Let us know what you decide and how it works out.

I like all the features of the CCC2, just not sure I like them for the $300 it would cost me to upgrade my 5 button system, done only 2 years ago.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Another question - on these Duo-Therm units "without" control boards (per Dometic) - what is it that controls the cycling of the compressor? I wonder if any of these controls has improved compressor control software.

So I'm prepping to sell these things and tested temperature at the outlets - in 90 degrees ambient, we're putting out 50 degrees at the vents (near the unit, RV is in covered parking) - so that's pretty good. I'm pretty sure it drops off when driving, so we're going to inspect the duct work too.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Any AC unit's compressor is controlled by the thermostat. Ok it's needs to be cooler in here, so I'll turn the compressor on. Cool enough now, I'll turn it off. Of course this goes through a relay of some sort, but no magic here.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #25

Ford Super Duty Owner
So what prevents freezing of the compressor? IE - what turns it off to prevent compressor freeze up?
Old 08-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
As far as I know, nothing... I have over filled a freezers compressor before and it simply iced up.... Actually, the lines iced. The compressor stopped
Old 08-11-2012, 05:50 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
So what prevents freezing of the compressor? IE - what turns it off to prevent compressor freeze up?
The compressor is actually hot as any compressor is while compressing. If you're talking about freezing up the coils, at least on the Brisk Airs, there is a "freeze" sensor (looks like a thermocouple) about 1 inch above the bottom coil on the right side. it has a blue wire which connects to the control board. I *assume* if the coils get too cold, it will shut the compressor off x minutes to allow the unit to de-ice before kicking in again, if the thermostat is calling for it. I have no idea if all RV ACs have this feature.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #28
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
There is a freeze sensor that is attached to the coils.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote