Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2014, 01:07 PM   #1

AC not working

Another AC not working thread. At storage under cover running Oman 8000 generator. Good power on both legs verified on pi 50amp EMS. Turn on AC and set to cool. Front AC cooling fine. Back AC fan working but no cold air. I turned everything off and waited and then turned back on same thing any thoughts
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2014, 01:15 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm sure you probably did, but did you wait a few minutes before turning it off. Mine takes a few minutes before it kicks in.
Washtubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washtubman View Post
I'm sure you probably did, but did you wait a few minutes before turning it off. Mine takes a few minutes before it kicks in.
Yes waited and the fan blows but the compressor does not come on. Air come out is the same temp as going back in the return. Both AC's or new installed last year. Worked fine on last trip out.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #4

You could have a bad connection as the wire that turns on the compressor is different from the one that turns on the fan. it is easy to find a wiring diagram of A/C controls on the web and then check for 12v with a meter. I know this because I had the same problem and found a bad splicing job. Good luck.
Cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #5

I agree with cobra. Follow the voltage from the input through to the compressor. Possibly a bad relay or pressure switch (if equipped). You can confirm that the compressor works by running 120 volts directly to it. I would not run it for more than the few seconds that it takes to make sure it runs, in case some safety element has it shut down for a good reason.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Check you start capacitor... you have to remove the shroud on top of the motorhome AC unit. you will probably be able to see it.. on mine there are two large capacitors. sitting upright and then down and to the right of them, the smaller start capacitor. It is about the size around as a nickel and maybe 1 1/2" long. When mine went bad it was obvious - was burnt completely into. I think the part is about $12.00. See photo attached.
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #7

I will check on these tomorrow. Like I say it is new under warranty, but I hate taking it to the RV shop and waiting until they can get to it.

I sure wish I could find a good Mobile RV operation here in the Houston TX area.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
I will check on these tomorrow. Like I say it is new under warranty, but I hate taking it to the RV shop and waiting until they can get to it.

I sure wish I could find a good Mobile RV operation here in the Houston TX area.

You might try here. RV Masters Inc | RV Repair Houston, TXÂ*77055 | Houston RV Repair Shop & Service Center

And here too. RV Service Reviews
Old 08-08-2014, 08:28 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Dumb but, is the temp set well below rig temp. If heat pump equipped reverse and heat then return to cool.

LEN
Old 08-08-2014, 10:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Dumb but, is the temp set well below rig temp. If heat pump equipped reverse and heat then return to cool.

LEN
Yes I had mode set to Cool and temp set to 71. It was 84 in the coach. I did get on the roof but did not remove the cover and there was no condensation like there was from the front AC. So the compressor was not on.

Just a reg AC not a heat pump.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL1948 View Post
Thanks for the links, I found a mobile RV service Home Page located not very far from my storage. I am going to call them and see if they can come take a look at the AC
Old 08-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #12

I went back to storage and tried the AC again, still not cooling. I got on top and removed the cover the fan is running and the compressor feels hot to the touch. There is not much else exposed on this new Brisk II unit under the cover.

I checked my PI EMS and with both AC's running I have 118 V on both line 1 and line 2. Line 1 with the front AC is showing 25A usage, Line 2 with the rear AC that is not cooling shows 10 to 11Amps used and stays at that figure.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #13

If they are both still in warranty you may want to take it to a regular rv repair shop. Most mobile guys will not do warranty work; so, you will wind up at least paying a service charge for them to do the diagnosis.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #14

If compressor is hot to touch ur getting power sounds like bad compressor or might be a run capacitor this is what I do for a living an capacitor are known to go out regularly just
FYI A service tech can determine if compressor is pulling lock rotor amps. If not it's a capacitor problem they also can be check with proper tool. Good luck. Hope this helps !
Andycamper is offline   Reply With Quote