Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2016, 08:34 AM   #15

Today is Monday so go find a good voltmeter so you can measure what is going on.

Otherwise you can only guess.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2016, 08:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt racer View Post
triplewide,,,i hooked up to his 4 prong 30 amp plug in on his gen.
brenthg,, I have went thru batteries and cleaned all terminals and checked for loose or corrosive wires and have found nothing that was a red flag.
Gen set on coach starts perfect and runs great till AC units are turned on.
I will say that the gen set on coach will change rpm to 4 levels but very small levels while no load and then does this all over again. Not sure that is normal or not but a friend of mine has a newer 12K onan diesel and it never changes rpm no matter what the load.

Sounds more and more like your on board generator is not regulating correctly. Can you check voltage with a meter at an outlet like Pexring suggested while the generator and ACs are running? If you run each AC one at a time does the generator still have issue?

Old 08-29-2016, 09:53 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
As others have said get a meter, but I suggest a Kill-A-Watt. Either on line or maybe a camping world. I think it is maybe $30. You can then digitally monitor what your Gen is putting out in voltage and frequency while everything is going on. Now you will have no more conjecture on what and when and how much just the facts. Do the test in several location so you get both inputs from the Gen.

LEN
Old 08-29-2016, 10:56 AM   #18

A Kill A Watt is a great testing device for some things, but it is only a plug in device, rated for 15 amps.

To get amp readings of a hard wired AC, the only place you can use it is out at the shore cord. For that, you need a box of adaptors.

The only test you can get from the generator would be volts and cycles, on an inside outlet.

If voltage is all your looking for, a cheep meter will do the job.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:46 PM   #19

Given the ac works fine on shore or other genny power we can assume all wiring and ac are fine.

No need to series wire to ac but just check voltage and frequency of genny in use.

Plugging a kill o watt unit into any outlet in rv will do just that.

From what is discovered the issue may be determined
Old 09-02-2016, 05:59 AM   #20

Anyone hear from Dirt Racer?
Old 09-02-2016, 06:35 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt racer View Post

I will say that the gen set on coach will change rpm to 4 levels but very small levels while no load and then does this all over again. Not sure that is normal or not but a friend of mine has a newer 12K onan diesel and it never changes rpm no matter what the load.
Your Onan 7.5K generator is an Inverter type generator. It will always change rpm's as the load increases and will reduce rpm's as the load decreases.

The Onan 12K generator is a non-Inverter type and will run at one rpm constantly which is computer controlled.

Apples and oranges, completely different types of generators.

Your A/C's are "short-cycling". Do some research on that condition and possibly you may find your cause.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
We are at our Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:57 AM   #22

An inverter generator will hold voltage at different RPMs.

I'm starting to think that the symptoms lead to a low-power issue on the generator engine.

It works for a few minutes and then starves for fuel and slows down. Once the fuel catches up, the RPM starts climbing again.

The surging RPM and the fact that it stalled on him once are fuel related symptons.

The questionable part is that he states Cummins did a 90% load test for 2 hours. Did he witness that and was it recent. Is it a slide out generator and kinks a fuel line when stored ?

I would give a hard look at the fuel delivery system before changing electronics and AC units.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:52 AM   #23

I guess Dirt Racer figured it out or got frustrated and sold his rig.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:40 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Probably out racing dirt bikes for the holiday!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:46 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

The Onan 7500 is indeed an inverter type generator. However, it still has a DC generator (to feed the two inverters) and control functions that govern engine speed and manage voltage & frequency.

You didn't say if the "cummins shop" verified frequency (Hertz or cycles/second) or not, and that could be critical. If the power deviates too far from the 60 Hz standard, the a/c will have power problems. It would be rare for an inverter genset to have voltage on target and Hz off-spec, but I suppose it is possible. However, an inverter genset does not depend on correct engine rpms to get the Hz frequency right. The electronics in the inverters do that instead.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:14 PM   #26

Sorry peeps was gone racing since thursday and just now got back to this. We used RV all weekend with my brothers portable gen and ran it about 10 hrs each day on coach with AC units running the whole time with no issues.
Also made a 30 amp extension code and went from the wiring block on my gen to my brothers camper with 1 13500 ac unit and the gen acts up like it has in the past.
My coach wasn't wired up with this in any way.
Something else I did last night Before hooking up my brothers camper was i took 2 meters and went to the 110 outlet in the kitchen, living area, and bedroom and with gen running with no ac load it had 60 hertz and 119.8 volts and did all 3 spots and all the same for about a half hour, then started ac units and after about 3 minutes of run time just before gen would rev way up the hertz went to 110 and voltage dropped to 62 for a split second and did this till i shut units off then went back to normal operation hertz and volts wise.
I wasn't sure what it did till I took a short video and then seen what the numbers on the meters watching in slow motion.
Still think it has to be gen since it worked all those hours this weekend with a diff gen and does the same with my brothers camper hooked up,,,thoughts??
Inverter is $1821 and i hate to spend that not knowing for sure whats wrong.
Cummins shop still stands by what the say they did and says it has to be coach event it ran all weekend with another gen.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:47 PM   #27

If other generator is portable or service shop has shore outlet it is very simple!

Make appointment with service manager to demonstrate the failure.

Also print out this whole thread so you can show a record of testing and outcome.

They SHOULD have the proper equipment to see exactly why the failure is occurring
Old 09-09-2016, 05:58 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I agree!

Since the problem/symptoms are repeatable every time you use your generator versus using a different generator then you should be able to demonstrate it to the Cummins service tech and service manager.

A return visit to Cummins is in order and after they are done possibly they can explain why it was given their blessings in this condition.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Tags
ems, generator, problems