Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2018, 08:36 PM   #29

I would check amp draw. Once up and running compressor and both the fans, should stay at 12-14 amps or so. Watch your clamp meter and if you see amperage creeping up that might help.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2018, 09:35 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrowood View Post
ScopeGuard, Turn power "off", Disconnect both fan motors wires, turn thermostat "off", Turn Power "on", Have someone turn thermostat to "cool", and listen to compressor. It will not hurt to run it this way for a short while. You can now tell if the compressor is "running" or "humming" (stalled). If it runs the problem can be checked with an a/c clamp-on amp probe. High amps equals blocked refrigerant system ( reversing valve,start/ run capacitors, etc ). If the condensor coils are blocked with dirt or bugs the headpressure will increase and so will the amps. If you keep testing the end result will be a shorted compressor motor. If it is stalled( start/run capacitors, low votage, bad connection, bad compressor [sorry]

link to manualhttps://www.airxcel.com/DesktopModules/RvProduct/Pdf/1976665.pdf

Good luck, Ken

Ken,
Thanks but I posted the unit runs and cools for three minutes, compressor drops, will not restart.
ScopeGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:53 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeGuard View Post
Ken,
Thanks but I posted the unit runs and cools for three minutes, compressor drops, will not restart.
If you have a clamp on ammeter on the common wire of the compressor and it is reading the compressor full load amps or less and the compressor shuts down 99% of the times it means the compressor did not cut off due to its internal or external overloads. If this is what happens look for the problem in the compressor control circuit board or another control other then the compressor. At this point your clamp on ammeter is going to be your best tool to help isolate the source of your problem.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:29 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy1 View Post
If you have a clamp on ammeter on the common wire of the compressor and it is reading the compressor full load amps or less and the compressor shuts down 99% of the times it means the compressor did not cut off due to its internal or external overloads. If this is what happens look for the problem in the compressor control circuit board or another control other then the compressor. At this point your clamp on ammeter is going to be your best tool to help isolate the source of your problem.

Roy,

The RLA specs for the compressor is 12.4. With clamp on ammeter the reading starts at 11.7 and builds to 15.7 after operating for 5 minutes, compressor kicks off.

Don
Old 08-20-2018, 11:37 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Roy,

The RLA specs for the compressor is 12.4. With clamp on ammeter the reading starts at 11.7 and builds to 15.7 after operating for 5 minutes, compressor kicks off.

Don
It sure seems like you found the problem. I would think the draw shouldn't go up like that but hopefully some experts can weigh in.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:39 AM   #34

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Roy,

Don
Either bad starting capacitor or overly high head pressure. High head pressure would point towards a plugged or partially plugged expansion valve, dryer, etc. It can't be overcharged, it just feels like it. Coils all clean? Right?
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:18 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
Either bad starting capacitor or overly high head pressure. High head pressure would point towards a plugged or partially plugged expansion valve, dryer, etc. It can't be overcharged, it just feels like it. Coils all clean? Right?

Once it’s started and operating properly would it be the start or run capacitor? It operates properly for 3-5 minutes then compressor and condenser fan shut off.

I noticed the condenser fan motor gets a lot hotter than its counterpart on the front ac unit after running same length of time. I don’t have a thermal temp gun to compare temps.

These motors are thermal protected. I’ve not checked the amp draw.

The coils are clean.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:24 PM   #36

Ford Super Duty Owner
What does the evaporator look like while all this is happening? Is it uniformly condensing water or only at one end? Could be a combination capacitor for both compressor and fan. That might explain the fan motor getting hot. You need to eliminate the compressor as an issue. Hot evaporator lines, cold suction line and uniformly cool evaporator. You could use the clip on on the compressor alone to see if it is climbing in current during your 5 minute run.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:48 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
What does the evaporator look like while all this is happening? Is it uniformly condensing water or only at one end? Could be a combination capacitor for both compressor and fan. That might explain the fan motor getting hot. You need to eliminate the compressor as an issue. Hot evaporator lines, cold suction line and uniformly cool evaporator. You could use the clip on on the compressor alone to see if it is climbing in current during your 5 minute run.

All that looks good, lines ok.

The RLA specs for the compressor is 12.4. With clamp on the common wire for the compressor the ammeter reading starts at 11.7 and builds to 15.7 after operating properly and cooling for 5 minutes, compressor kicks off, condenser fan motor kicks off.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:53 PM   #38

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ford F53 chassis manual

Anyone knows where I can get a Ford F-53 Motorhome Chassis Workshop Service & Repair Manual 2014? I have been online and found a website that says they have it. When I down loaded it was a 2011 to 2014, so I contact them, and told them it did not have all of the 2014 model year changes. They said sorry about that and sent me a 2012 to 2014, it to does not have all of the 2014 changes. Again I contacted them and told them that the top of each page must have 2014 or it may not have all of 2014 changes. Well its been two week and they have not emailed me back. The down load cost only $18.00 so I am not much.
John S.
JohnSiebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:01 PM   #39

Ford Super Duty Owner
If the lines and evaporator look normal, I would look at the capacitor. That can cause a good compressor to draw more current than the spec. If you can get one, it would be an easy test. If your units are identical, move the cap from the rear unit to the front unit.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:02 AM   #40

This unit has a restrictor that has possibly not shifted to proper position. Try in heat mode to see if compressor runs. If it does then switch back to cool and may be ok.
Good luck, Ken
Old 08-22-2018, 07:30 PM   #41

I’m still working on the AC unit. I ran both units today until back (problem) unit turned off after about 5 minutes, turned off front unit. Took temp readings of all four electric motors (housings) with digital infrared temp gun. Front evap motor 120F, condenser motor 118F. Rear evap motor 112F, rear condenser 205F. The capacitor is rated 185F for a thermally protected motor. The overheated motor has got to be shutting the system down.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:56 AM   #42

Lack of air flow across condenser will cause high discharge pressure in the sealed system due to refrigerant not condensiing from vapor to liquid. Many compressors have failed because of this issue. The high pressure switch is probably shutting compressor down. The schematic shows N.C. on high pressure switch but the circuit does not function properly. It probably is N.O. so that when you have high pressure the relay picks up andlocks compressor out from running.
Good luck, Ken