Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #1

AC Replacement Size

I have a 1997 Winnebago 32 Ft Adventurer (32,000 miles) DUCTED Air with 2, 13,500 Coleman installed. Drain pan cracked on Front Air, (glue did not help-water draining inside coach and unable to obtain replacement pans on these orginal old AC units. Time to replace the front AC with another Coleman and trying to decide if I should go to 15,000 in place of 13,500. Only $100.00 difference in price. Would 15,000 be the best choice or an overkill for the front. My thinking is if the rear fails that the 15,000 just might cool the whole thing with a little fan help to the rear and even if that is not true it should certainly keep the front part cooler. Of course another line of thinking is to save the $100 and apply toward the rear that will certainly fail in the future.

I take it in for replacement on Nov 28.

Thanking each of you for your help in this adventure and a big thank you for this forum.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Approximately (2) yrs ago, our front ac,Coleman 13500 ac/heatpump went out. I found the cheapest price at PPL in Houston and upgraded to the 15000 ac/heatpump. Am absolutely 100% satisfied and yes the 15000 will cool/heat our unit 99% of the time. Go for it
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:13 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
When we replaced our front AC unit we faced the same upgrade option. We choose to get the 15k unit. Our old 13.5k unit had trouble keeping the front cool due to all of the windshield glass. After installing the 15k unit we realized better cooling and ability to deal with heat loads from the windshield and cooking. We also found that we used the rear unit less which provided a quieter sleeping environment.

We have not regreted getting the higher capacity unit.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:23 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
when anything breaks, i always take the opportunity to upgrade. tv, stereo, car parts, etc. the little cost over the exact replacement is worth it to me.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
If it were me, I would try some Eternabond tape over the crack first. I have become a strong supporter of this stuff on anything that is not pressurized, and Permanent.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:10 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
If the A/C is the original unit, I would definitely recommend replacement. Upgrading to a 15K is the sensible thing to do. On all the A/C's I have changed, they have all been upgraded to 15. PPL has been my choice in the past for the best price on A/C units I have replaced. Although, I would suggest checking ebay before purchase. I purchased a Carrier 15K remote control unit from ebay because they are not available anywhere else, and got a very reasonable price and quick shipment. It was purchased from a dealer with a 99.5% rating. I was totally satisfied with the purchase.
howdja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement