Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2016, 08:21 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
AC Shrouds

I plan on replacing my AC shrouds due to cracks on my 2004 Penguin AC's. I found these online and was wondering if anybody has used these??
Also what advantage or disadvantage would it be to replace with black instead of white color. I think black would look better on my coach. What do you all think of these???

Air Conditioner Shrouds | AC Shrouds | RV Air Conditioner Covers

Dave

djhinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2016, 08:31 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhinds View Post
I plan on replacing my AC shrouds due to cracks on my 2004 Penguin AC's. I found these online and was wondering if anybody has used these??
Also what advantage or disadvantage would it be to replace with black instead of white color. I think black would look better on my coach. What do you all think of these???

Dave

Never heard of the company but products sound good.

However, if your A/C units are original, they are probably near end of life. I might think twice about spending $450 on covers (assuming 3) vs. repairing the cracks and living with them for awhile.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:50 AM   #3

Do you have just AC's, or Heat Pumps (both heating and cooling)? If you just have AC units, and you travel a lot in hot weather I would NOT use black covers as they will make the AC units work harder and keep the entire AC unit hotter all the time since the dark color will absorb heat and the light color will reflect the heat. There is a reason that roofs are generally white. It is to help dissipate heat when the sun beats down on it!

It's the same reason why many newer coaches with dark exterior color schemes have 3 and 4 AC units. It's because they NEED them. Where as a similar sized, brand and insulated coach with a LIGHT colored exterior color scheme can generally get by just fine with 2 or 3 AC units, and they don't work as hard either.

Designs that incorporate passive heating/cooling (ie; lighter colors in warm climates, and darker colors in cold climates) wins out every time to brute force (4 AC units and 10,000 amp service, okay I exaggerate, but you get the picture!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:17 AM   #4
RDG

Quote:

Dave
I have the Icon covers and they are better than the original covers.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:56 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Never heard of the company but products sound good.

However, if your A/C units are original, they are probably near end of life. I might think twice about spending $450 on covers (assuming 3) vs. repairing the cracks and living with them for awhile.
Near the end of life! Seriously? My ac units are 1998 and still work perfect. I replaced my shrouds due to them being cracked and broken. Mine were Dometic and around $200 ea. as I remember.
Old 09-30-2016, 02:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.elliott63 View Post
Near the end of life! Seriously? My ac units are 1998 and still work perfect. I replaced my shrouds due to them being cracked and broken. Mine were Dometic and around $200 ea. as I remember.
Good for you ... you are in the minority ... yes, end of life ... the average is under 10 years. A house air conditioner lifespan is around 15 years (in Florida it's about 10) ... and those are higher quality products than RV air conditioners.

The tape on the ductwork (inside the plenum/air box) is usually beginning to fail (come loose) at around 8 years.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Dave
djhinds
My original Penguin A/C shrouds lasted 16 years before a hail storm took them out.
Rather than spending $114.70 each to replace them I bought these from Adventure RV for only $74.59 each: Dometic Penguin Air Conditioner Shroud Shell White - $74.59
(But it's your money waste it however you want).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-30-2016, 03:39 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
djhinds
My original Penguin A/C shrouds lasted 16 years before a hail storm took them out.
Rather than spending $114.70 each to replace them I bought these from Adventure RV for only $74.59 each: Dometic Penguin Air Conditioner Shroud Shell White - $74.59
(But it's your money waste it however you want).
Mel
'96 Safari
X2 Yes it does pay to shop.
Mel_B
Old 09-30-2016, 04:25 PM   #9

if you don't mind doing things and handy, you can fix the cracks with fiberglass. i fixed mine 3 years ago and still going strong. buy the fiberglass repair kit from home depot for less than $20, easy job.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:30 PM   #10

Mine are 1996 . Work good .
I did buy a used cover off craigslist for 20.00.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:04 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Old AC Units???

My AC units are 23 model years old. Cool excellently. Mid 90's temps at late afternoon I may have to turn the second one on to stay comfy.
tim.kyfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:33 PM   #12
IC2

The black ones sure are pretty but why make your a/c work harder, even a tiny bit under the summer's hot sun. Our 5er had initially a black shroud - now painted white. It does seem to work less hard. I've added the second one and it was ordered with a shiny white cover. As far as longevity - not in the OPs question, but I have yet to replace one, even on the '73 Kountry Aire 5er that I kept for 22 years.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:56 PM   #13

OUR 1972 WINNEBAGO INDIAN with a single Duo Therm AC still cools just fine as of this summer ,it's untouched with the factory charge it does have a little rumble in the fan bearings and still has the original shroud ,back in the day they were made of fiberglass and not thermal plastic .
Old 09-30-2016, 08:08 PM   #14

Had to replace a Duo-Therm unit a couple of years ago--new plastic shrouds are much more substantial than the earlier models--hope they last longer than the older ones. Make sure the foam gaskets on the underside of the shroud [not the roof gaskets] are properly aligned with the top of the condenser coil and the cool side air box. Purpose of the gaskets is to keep air from mixing between the hot and cool sections of the unit.

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote