Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #1

Ac unit

Hello fellow rvrs so what is the hot tip for roof ac’s my Monaco is 13 years old ya my ac works but it doesn’t seem to be verry cold what are my options
1 do you guys service it yourself if so how
2 take it in for a check up $$$ lol
🦅🇺🇸😎🇺🇸🦅
Oldeyes
Oldeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2018, 02:26 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Are you sure it's not cold enough? I mean, have you actually used an IR thermometer to check the temp? You could have the right temp but not enough air flow. If it is the temp I don't think you're going to be able to do anything. If it's the airflow than you could have a bad blower motor. I had this happen to me and after replacing the motor the A/C unit does a fine job of keeping the MH cool/cold.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:40 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I agree with okcnewbie but I would use one of the hanging fridge thermometers to check the temps. The laser temp guns check the temp of whatever the laser dot is hitting, not the actual air temp.

There should be approximately 20 degrees difference in the return air and the discharge air.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:21 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum!

As was said before, check the temp at the inlet and outlet and see what your spread is and that will give you an idea.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:09 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
It is not easy to recharge an RV roof AC unit. Generally it is just not done.

You could however go to the roof and remove the cover. Then spray some AC coil cleaner on the coil if needed and make sure the fan is not impeded.

First, however, do check the return air and chilled air temps. A 20 degree difference is expected. The longer it runs, the cooler recycled air should get to a point.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:16 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
It is easy to add refrigerant, once you put in a service port. You can get self piercing valves for a reasonable cost but they will eventually leak over time. Pinching off and brazing in a service port the the correct way, but on a 13 year old unit it might be diminishing returns.

Hey a can of refrigerant is pretty cheap and it might buy you a year or two. Hopefully it is r134a.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:09 PM   #7

If it needs refrigerant, it has a leak.

Its not like a car system with seals and O ring connections that can be resealed.

There is a hole in the tubing and not readly fixed.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:22 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If it needs refrigerant, it has a leak.

Its not like a car system with seals and O ring connections that can be resealed.

There is a hole in the tubing and not readly fixed.
Of course, however the OP indicated that it still cools but not as well as before. It probably has a leak, but a bullet valve and $15 worth of refrigerant might give him an extension on its life (month, year?). It is not worth fixing beyond that. On the other hand it is more than 10 years old and has a slow leak. Worth a try if he can do it himself.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:48 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
When RV AC units get weak, I usually replace them. You can try to repair it, but then the next weak link goes and its usually the hottest day of the year when it goes out.
You have some choices on what replacement model (Dometic Brisk Air II, Penguin II low profile, or Blizzard NXT) or as well as the BTU (13,500 or 15,000) and if you want a heat pump model (reversing valve).

PPL has several AC units on sale. Link to PPL RV AC's:
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...oleman-dometic

I just replaced one of our AC units. Link to the thread:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/repl...ch-405503.html

vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote