Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2016, 03:22 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
AC Voltage Ranges

I've been reading up EMS devices but have not seen any mention of the AC voltage range, mainly low, that is not 'acceptable' to use.

I just checked the house AC voltage and was surprised it was at 107 v.

What's the low threshold to avoid?
denk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 03:39 PM   #2

Typically we used 10% of nominal. That would put 107 below spec. A quick look indicates that the delivery tolerances are probably tighter than that. The "we" I was referring to was acceptance for various equipment when testing to spec. I'd be talking to my power company.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:35 PM   #3

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by denk View Post
I've been reading up EMS devices but have not seen any mention of the AC voltage range, mainly low, that is not 'acceptable' to use.

My unit will dump AC at that voltage. Sorry but I can't remember the upper and lower limits but have lost power on several occasions due to low voltage and lose of a ground at several campgrounds.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by denk View Post

I have a progressive industries EMS PT50C. it will allow power through as long as it's above 104 and below 132 volts. It will turn off outside those limits but will monitor and if the power comes back inside the window, it will re-connect.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:02 AM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks all for the information, it's helpful.
denk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:41 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Typically we used 10% of nominal. That would put 107 below spec.
Only if your "nominal" is 120v. Some areas still have only 110v or 115v power anyway. That used to be "standard" or "nominal".

My Surge Guard #40250 allows 102-132

Realistically, an RV a/c still runs ok at 107. I wouldn't want to see it too much below that, though. A long hot day at 102v is going to sorten its total lifespan a bit.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:32 AM   #7

My progressive sets the range at 104 - 132 volts. I did bypass the EMS on one occasion when it was extremely hot outside. Big mistake, within 3 months compressor shot. I later ask myself why I installed the EMS only to ignore it. Never again!
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:35 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The 120 volts, +/- 10% is generally at the parks power feed. Once inside the park, the voltage drop will depend on the wiring and number of users.

So 108 volts is generally the lowest you should see if a park is properly wired and has adequate power.

My EMS will drop off at 107 volts...like shut off the power to the RV.

Older A/C units had motors with more windings and could often run down as low as 103 volts. The newer A/C units have motors that are wound to just meet the requirements and will really suffer at 107 volts.

If you are in a park with voltage running low, switch your RV frig to gas and your water heater to gas. This may pick you up 2 to 4 volts on your incoming power and get you over the hump to run the A/C unit. You can also turn off or unplug the power converter to help out.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote