Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2014, 08:58 PM   #15

Did someone have any problems with the warranty / things to be fixed by Thor?

Thx.
Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2014, 06:27 AM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pounder View Post

Thx.
I have had more issues with the dealership than with THOR.
snoodledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:28 AM   #17

I looked long and hard at a new ACE coach before I purchased. I spent many hours on this blog reading threads in the Thor section and others. The one commenter stated this blog isn't an indication of good or bad, I disagree 100%. Simply compare the comments, complaints made from manufacturer to manufacturer. Read the threads and "Type" of complaints made. The loose screws and small things aren't the concerns, it's the big things and how the manufacturer handles them.

Look at the ratings on the drop down bed, size of the pull out bed and capacities compared to other coaches in the price and size range of the ACE. Look at the fit and finish. Don't believe it when people say the ACE is less than others in the same size range, that isn't true. You can negotiate a great deal on other coaches in the same size and get for the same price.

Read the two year long thread on the ACE Generator issue and how the manufacturer handled, or didn't handle. That was enough plus other comments to make me run fast, very fast away from a Thor coach.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:26 PM   #18

I own 2013 Ace 30.1, agree with FAIL on Thor Quality - especially Generator and slide out disaster. Mine is OK, now, but big test this summer traveling West. Candor in thread is refreshing. Question: Removed couch, replacing with recliners. What is purpose of 2 black plates in slide out @ 8" x 20", screwed to floor? I removed them, and there is NO roller or snubber to lock or reinforce slide out. I'm countersinking plate, and replacing screws with flat-head - to make floor less irregular. I plan to either recess the plates (~ 3/16") or install 3/16 sheet spacer. Then cover with laminate or vinyl - hiding the ugly plates, and provide level floor for Euro style recliners. (The floor will be extended 8" to support recliner base, with roller recessed in extension. Base will be screwed to floor, and seat belts usable)
JWalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:33 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Thor warranty/repair performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pounder View Post

Thx.
(I'm not going to jump back in to the "Thor quality" debate. There are some thoughtful posts on the topic and I suggest that it's best to be informed by those.)

As to your question, my experience with Thor warranty/repair has been generally good. As mentioned above, Thor assigns each purchaser a "concierge" who is responsible for making sure you're happy. The concierge will call a couple months after the purchase and then acts as a point of contact going forward. I've had several issues that required some above-and-beyond response from the manufacturer, and Thor's performance was exactly what I needed. For example, we had the door handle come apart while we were on the road, locking us out (and would have locked others in). (Just to avoid fueling someone's rant, this is not a Thor issue. It's a Trimark issue and it's widely reported across all brands, including "luxury" motorhomes.) Anyway, we were able to reach Thor, who found someone from the assembly area, who then walked us through the diagnosis process on the phone. I've had similar experience with other little nits that have come up from time to time (see my post above regarding the stabilizer jacks). All things considered, there have been zero issues on which I've failed to get a satisfactory response from Thor and I'm very happy with Thor warranty and customer service.

On the repair side, though, I've been less than happy with the Thor dealers we've dealt with. The service from the dealer from whom we purchased the unit has been terrible (actually, more like shameful), starting with the PDI and basically on every other issue since then. The setup on the toad was dangerously bad. We'll never go back to that dealer for anything (except maybe buying toilet paper) ever again. Once we stopped using that dealer, the next one was OK, but took two months to deal with the issue. G-r-r-r-r. We've finally found an excellent service facility, but unfortunately they don't sell units.

All of which leads me to my new rule #2. (Rule #1 is that a unit from any manufacturer can have serious issues and a thorough PDI is essential.) For the next unit I buy, I'll assume there will be warranty issues and dealer service is as important as unit quality--I'll only buy from dealers that have sterling reputations for service, and I'll adjust the eligible brands to match those available from qualifying dealers.

Bottom line: Thor warranty and customer service: A.
Thor dealer quality and customer service: F.
Obviously, others' mileage may vary on both points.
SkipRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:21 AM   #20

Major Quality Issues after leaving the Manufacturer production floor!

My wife and I currently have a Jayco TT, we have been happy with it and all of our travels have been great... Not One Problem in the 2 years we have had it....

We decided we may enjoy a Motorhome to add to our RV likes.. I started reading the forums and doing my research almost 4 weeks ago and I have to say that I am really disappointed in what I am reading... I'm not talking about a $10,000, 20,000 or 30,000 purchase, I'm talking about $80,000 - 100,000 purchases (Cant' call them an investment they lose too much money in the first 5 years close to 50% of their value)... What I am reading is the quality issues their products coming off the line and delivered to dealers...

I've seen mentioned several times "Thor assigns each purchaser a "concierge" who is responsible for making sure you're happy." If I were running that business I'd be firing some folks in production, bringing in consultants that understand manufacturing and put the engineers on the line building these things until it was right.... I am reading that not only Thor but many manufacturers are pushing these things out the door expecting the dealer or service centers to correct the crappie builds and problems of the factory! Everyone is giving the Manufacture a Pass... from my years in Manufacturing Quality starts in Engineering and flows through the production line, it doesn't land on the Service outlets after the fact!

We recently went out for 4 days, during those days we usually walk around the campgrounds and ask folks how their unit quality and reliability was and I could record hours of discussions with some Very Unhappy Owners! I'm talking Major issues.. One of the stops had me really going... Here was a family, just purchased a 2014 28" Tiffin Breeze from Lazy Daze in Florida he seemed really happy until he told me that just after he picked it up he had to drive it to the Tiffin Factory for warranty work... he got there and had to wait 2 weeks to even get in to the service bay... he then had to spend 4 days on major repairs to his unit on items that were not right from the factory... Folks this is a $100,000 plus purchase it should be right from the time it left the manufactures production line! The kick of this was the owner was giving the Manufacture a pass by saying once they got it in to the service bay they were nice and fixed all the issues.... If that were me, on Day 2 I would have been camped outside the CEO's office demanding either immediate attention or my money back....

Like I said, this isn't just Thor products I have read the horror stories of it is an industry in trouble, not able to build a quality product on the manufacturing floor and sub contracting these issues out to folks that are barley able to change a tire correctly let alone a $100,000 Motorhome!

IF any of you read these stories and agree that it's olk to give the manufacture a pass on the responsibility of building a quality product from the factory you are not being fair to yourself and worse yet, you are telling the manufacture that it is ok to build a product and worry about the quality after the delivery to the customer... Someone mentioned it is important to have a dealer with a good PDI department.. that is baloney, that fix, find and corrections should be made before the coach leaves the manufacturing floor not when it is being delivered to the customer!

Honestly, after reading the many threads (doesn't matter what manufacture) and the issues on buying that I am thinking that it is a waste of money and Time. I don't buy in to the comments of "Well It is an entry level Motorhome" or " we didn't buy the most expensive model" comments.. that is an excuse to let the manufacturer get away from their responsibility .... There is no excuse for these problems it is a big issue and I'm not just talking entry level Motorhome I've read of the issues at all levels... in my book, it is unacceptable to say my dealer fixed my issues... No wonder these things are getting so expensive the after sales warranty service has to be thousands of dollars to make them right..

Sorry for the rant but I hate excuses and if we're going to spend $100,000 on a Motorhome I expect it to be right from the manufacturer!
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:59 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
We were going to buy a class C and we rented one first and I would take the Class A over it in a heartbeat. More room and easier to get around in. Also they drive a lot better.
flangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:06 PM   #22

On your 30.2's, is there a screen on the rear window. Mine doesnt have one and im wondering if it was left off.
lkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkin View Post
On your 30.2's, is there a screen on the rear window. Mine doesnt have one and im wondering if it was left off.
If it's like my Winnebago Vista 31be which is a very similar floorplan, the rear window is an emergency exit so they probably don't want a screen impeding exit for liability or something. Mine has no screen either.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:17 PM   #24

We have had a Four Winds 23U for about a year and have had only minor problems with toilet and water pump. We replaced both. Generator can also be fussy but has always turned on for us. Buying an RV is like buying/building a new home or doing an addition on an existing home. There will always be problems. Sometimes you get lucky and don't have problems and, sometimes you do. RVs are houses on wheels and come will all the same complexities and quirks as a homes.
kmadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:00 PM   #25

If you like the 30.2 then you should look at two others. First the Winnebago Vista 31BE which is very close in design but has larger tanks, and a better reputation for quality. The second would be the Newmar Bay Star or Bay Star Sport which both have a model 3004. Newmar is known for better quality although not perfect. We looked at all of the models and opted for the 3004. It is a bit unique in that it doesn't have a dedicated dinette but we don't want one.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:20 PM   #26

Curious if you test drove it yet? If so you should definitely test drive a few which will make it easier to compare. I would put it up against a few several models like the Vista and Fr3.

I thought we were going with an Fr3 until I test drove the vista and then it was an easy decision.

I'dtest drive and Fr3, Vista and I think the Pursuit has bunks too. No better way to hear engine noise, rattles,etc.

That advice was given to me here and I feel it was good advice. About to receive our coach this week I'm was just in a similar boat as you
Old 01-04-2016, 02:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtoste77 View Post
Curious if you test drove it yet? If so you should definitely test drive a few which will make it easier to compare. I would put it up against a few several models like the Vista and Fr3.

I thought we were going with an Fr3 until I test drove the vista and then it was an easy decision.

I'dtest drive and Fr3, Vista and I think the Pursuit has bunks too. No better way to hear engine noise, rattles,etc.

That advice was given to me here and I feel it was good advice. About to receive our coach this week I'm was just in a similar boat as you
Don't overlook Fleetwood for price, quality and service. I did years of research and looked at all listed and for the money and after ownership i'd stick by Fleetwood. They have several lines that are great in that price range. The Storm line is IMO the best in that price range.
Old 01-04-2016, 07:03 PM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangley View Post
We were going to buy a class C and we rented one first and I would take the Class A over it in a heartbeat. More room and easier to get around in. Also they drive a lot better.

Flangley, I just traded in my 2015 ace 30.2 for the Georgetown 364ts. I like the ace with the exception of the 30 amp service and only one roof a/c. This last summer good to fl the coach was a little warm with 7 people. The over all performance of coach good. I did the CHF on it right away and what a difference in drive quality. If you can afford it I would look at the 35 ft Class A. Thor hurricane or Forest River 351.

But in summary if I did not trade I would have added second a/c unit.