Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #1

ACE or Greyhawk

We visited our local RV dealer this weekend and looked at the ACE 30.1 again. When looking at the coach my son visited the Jayco Greyhawk 31 class c and now we as a family are totally confused. The price of both is about the same. Both are loaded but the Jayco has more "stuff". The fit and finish of the Jayco was superior in my opinion but the weight of the unit is less 19500 vs 23000. The ccc is the same for both. Could someone shed some light on this. Thank you
edrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #2

I am no expert but things to consider:

Class A motorhomes are built on a true truck chassis, bigger tires (usually), generally have a better CCC and can tow more.

Class C mtorhomes are usually on a van chassis with heavy duty running gear (but still light / med truck stuff), usually near max GVWR and depending on the construction of the overhang, limited on towing capability.

They both use the same engine / trans (if we are talking gassers) and there isn't much, if any, fuel advantage of a C over an A.

If it were me, I would go class A over C unless there was some apprehension over driving the A.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #3

Let's see if we can't muddy the water a little further.

We did a lot of looking and had pretty much decided that the Greyhawk was the best choice for us. We were in the process of getting quotes from all the local dealers and checking prices on the internet as well. Just when we were ready to pull the trigger on a Greyhawk we came upon the Forest River Georgetown (Class A) The dealer we stopped at in MN was Shorewood RV and they had the Greyhawk we were interested in. We stopped in so our son could take a look at it. While we were there we looked at every motorhome on the lot. The Georgetown was very nice but I was quite sure it was way beyond our budget. My wife asked if she could check on pricing and I said go ahead but there was no way we were going to spend that much money. To our astonishment it was only slightly more than the Greyhawk.

In our view there was no comparison. The Georgetown was a little more money but was a substantial upgrade in our opinion. We are very happy we stopped to take a look and ask how much.

Good Luck!
bmacrc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:27 AM   #4

We are shopping for our first motor home and are looking at the Greyhawk and Allegro 32 CA. As far as specifications they have similar numbers (the Allegro is somewhat taller). The livability of the Class A over the Class C and the additional roominess of the Class A is what is pushing me towards to Class A. The cost between the two are not that far apart...I think I would be paying a premium just for the Allegro name.

We have not fully decided yet, that is why we've decided to attend the Pomona, CA RV show that is coming up Oct 12-21, 2012. They'll have both units at the show and hopefully we'll be able to decide.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:25 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE=phatpony;1326688]I am no expert but things to consider:

Class C mtorhomes are usually on a van chassis with heavy duty running gear (but still light / med truck stuff), usually near max GVWR and depending on the construction of the overhang, limited on towing capability.

They both use the same engine / trans (if we are talking gassers) and there isn't much, if any, fuel advantage of a C over an A.

a true class "a" uses a 3 valve v10 ,the ace which i believe is a modified e450 uses a 2v v10 about 35 less hp and a little less torque
brianj
Old 10-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #6

ACE OR Geyhawk

I have had several class A's and several class C's, I found the class A's to be roomier and more storage space, but the class C's have been far more reliable and in general have fewer problems. If chassis problems do occur the C will usually be less expensive to repair than the A. I would buy either class if the layout was good and the condition overall was good to excellant. Rv's have plenty of problems without getting into one that hasn't been properly taken care of. My biggest nightmare was a brand new diesel pusher which I didn't keep for long. Expect to have some problems with any rig you purchase [it will be less frustrating when it happens] , all in all I love RV's and have enjoyed traveling in them.
Dynadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:33 AM   #7

I just traded my 2004 Allegro 35DA for the 2013 Greyhawk FS 31, and so far am very happy. The Greyhawk has more amenities, and is less tiring to drive. It is 3 feet shorter than the Allegro so I have less interior space, but outside storage is about the same. Gas mileage is comparable. Maintenance is going to be much less costly.
Paula
progers is offline   Reply With Quote