Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2015, 04:45 PM   #1

Actual amprage for 10 ft frig

We are considering installing an apartment size 10 to 11 cu ft refrigerator in our mh. Does anyone know the actual amps it might pull?

Thanks,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2015, 05:33 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You really need to narrow the parameters to get a useful answer. I see a Frigidaire 9.9 cu. ft. model with no icemaker rated at 6A@120V (720W). My 9 cu. ft. NovaKool (also no icemaker and manual defrost) is rated at 5.2A@12V (62.4W). Neither manufacturer provides a 24hr average at a given ambient temperature, so it's hard to make a direct comparison. Ice makers consume lots of power.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B

slowmachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:55 PM   #3

I'm sorry, I guess I was not clear.

I understand the amps on the refrigerator name plate as posted by the manufacture. What I'm looking for is what is the actual operating amps. I doubt that any of the refrigerators actually pull the "rated amps". I'm trying to decide the size of solar and invertor we need to make the change. I understand the start up current of an electric motor is larger than the normal running current and I understand that a refrigerator does not run 100 % of the time.

I was hoping that someone had actually measured the operating amps for a refrigerator the size I mentioned. We plan to install a commercial refrigerator available likely at a big box store, not a "special" type. My requests to the manufactures only brings the name plate information.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:04 PM   #4

Don't know how much this helps, but I have a Avanti FF760W frost free 7.4 CF fridge in my boat. It runs at .9 amp, 120 volts AC. At startup it hits, just under, 3 amps for a few seconds.

I confirmed this, with a "Kill a Watt" meter @ 120 volts and with a battery monitor, drawing 8 amps @ 12 volts, DC.

It runs on a Xantrex PS2000 watt inverter.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Don't know how much this helps, but I have a Avanti FF760W frost free 7.4 CF fridge in my boat. It runs at .9 amp, 120 volts AC. At startup it hits, just under, 3 amps for a few seconds.

I confirmed this, with a "Kill a Watt" meter @ 120 volts and with a battery monitor, drawing 8 amps @ 12 volts, DC.

It runs on a Xantrex PS2000 watt inverter.
Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. Our Dometic gas/ac frig failed a couple years ago and I installed an Amish cooling unit. It works great but wish I had done the home type frig. Just takes too long to cool down and we live in sw Florida so it's hot outside most of time.

I think I will go ahead with solar and change the frig to ac home type. This gives me information that I need to size the solar and invertor. I was thinking of the Xantrex 2000 watt unit.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:41 PM   #6

I just put in a Frigidaire 9.9cf and a 1000w back up inverter. Its stated consumption is 720w. It is energy star rated but I think the main thing is that the compressor is either on or it's not. Meaning you will probably use a bit more electricity if you open the fridge door a lot. But not a lot overall. These things are really well insulated.
Abitbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:44 PM   #7

Why put in a 2000 W inverter for a 100 W load with a 300W startup current? 500 W would do it with more than enough margin. Inverters have efficiency issues when lightly loaded so you will us more power with the oversized inverter plus you will need 200 Amp wiring and an appropriate battery bank. Roughly 4x what you need for the refrigerator in question.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Why put in a 2000 W inverter for a 100 W load with a 300W startup current? 500 W would do it with more than enough margin. Inverters have efficiency issues when lightly loaded so you will us more power with the oversized inverter plus you will need 200 Amp wiring and an appropriate battery bank. Roughly 4x what you need for the refrigerator in question.
The Xantrex PS2000 uses .4 amps when idle, in my opinion, an insignificant amount, for my battery bank.

If you are just running the fridge, Xantrex makes a 600 watt PS inverter, with a low draw.

I use the 2000 watt inverter to run everything on the boat. TV, Sat receiver, coffee maker, microwave, phone chargers, crock pot, desktop computer, printer, electric shaver and fans. Of course we manage it, not to overload it. If I ran 2 smaller inverters, my draw would be 1 amp. I prefer a hands off system.

It is my winter, home so, I want all of the conveniences of a land home.

I have an 8, 6 volt GC2 battery bank, 675 watts of solar and a Honda EU2000 as a backup. Last winter I used the Honda 3 times, after a few cloudy days.

Just how I do it.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The Xantrex PS2000 uses .4 amps when idle, in my opinion, an insignificant amount, for my battery bank.

If you are just running the fridge, Xantrex makes a 600 watt PS inverter, with a low draw.

I use the 2000 watt inverter to run everything on the boat. TV, Sat receiver, coffee maker, microwave, phone chargers, crock pot, desktop computer, printer, electric shaver and fans. Of course we manage it, not to overload it. If I ran 2 smaller inverters, my draw would be 1 amp. I prefer a hands off system.

It is my winter, home so, I want all of the conveniences of a land home.

I have an 8, 6 volt GC2 battery bank, 675 watts of solar and a Honda EU2000 as a backup. Last winter I used the Honda 3 times, after a few cloudy days.

Just how I do it.
I was aiming that at Snail1. I had no idea what you had. I was pointing out that going to 2000 W adds a lot of extra stuff if somebody is just dumping in things he hears about. We have both seen enough of that around here. OTOH your reply should give him a clue about what he is setting up for. ;-)
Old 07-18-2015, 09:45 PM   #10

Quote:
I was aiming that at Snail1. I had no idea what you had. I was pointing out that going to 2000 W adds a lot of extra stuff if somebody is just dumping in things he hears about. We have both seen enough of that around here. OTOH your reply should give him a clue about what he is setting up for. ;-)
OK, I misunderstood who you were responding to.

I agree that some, just put big stuff in, and don't know why.

I do use a 1000 watt Xantrex PS inverter in my MH, with 300 watts solar and 4, 6 volt batteries. I used the 1000 watt inverter because the price difference is small and my coffee maker draws 700 watts.

Everything is half of what my boat has. Well the TV is bigger. I use the gas fridge and run the generator, for the microwave. If the fridge goes bad, I am prepared to fit a residential one.

Anyone shopping for an inverter, needs to check, what the idle amp draw is. My first inverter, a cheap 2500 watt PSW unit, drew 4 amps, doing nothing. That was 50 AH, 12% of my usable capacity.

Do your homework.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:49 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I have a 10.3 CF Haier that when off grid runs off my 2000 watt Xantrex 458 inverter. At night when outside temps are in the 60s, all TV's, receivers, microwave on standby, fridge door not opened and no other appliances working it draws approximately 10 DC amp hours per hour.

Hope this helps you on the DC side.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:50 PM   #12

Quote:
We camp in the boon docks and will be running more than the frig. Things like tv, satellite system, lights, radio, whatever the wife says she wants on.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAIL1 View Post
We camp in the boon docks and will be running more than the frig. Things like tv, satellite system, lights, radio, whatever the wife says she wants on.
Of course the loads have to be managed.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:45 AM   #14

Curious if anyone has fit a battery behind the residential once the swap is made. I am thinking about this one but would need to fit the battery and the inverter/charger behind the fridge to make it work. They do make narrow 12v batteries that are less than 7 inches in width.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote