Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
Actual Trade-in value vs NADA guidelines

I traded a TT in and after alot of haggling I got the NADA trade-in value. Just curious - what to dealers have in MH's

If I were to price a used MH could I take the current NADA guidelines and expect to pay that price plus a 2 or 3K profit. Or do the dealers really rip off people that trade in MH's and should I pay even less?

tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
My experience is that NADA is usually high. You can get a quality coach on the FSBO market well below NADA.

2002 National Dolphin LX 6356
Workhorse W-22 chassis
Don't believe everything you think.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most dealers will only use the NADA guide when it is to their advantage. A lot of experienced buyers for the dealer will use a Black Book. That is the price the unit trades for at auction. No real crystal ball for the answer. Condition, color, size, brand all play into a dealers decision in what to put into that unit. Also, is it being traded in on a unit that has been on the floor plan too long and needs to move. Does a saleman have a buyer just waiting for that type of unit. Last, how is the business doing, if it has had a gang buster month they are not going to deal. If it has been slow, they will do anything to get your business. As long as you are happy, that is all that counts. I was a dealer for over 10 years.
GLENN0999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
The NADA prices you can see online are retail prices...what you might expect to sell your RV for if you were selling it yourself.

To see the wholesale price, which is what the dealers would use, you have to get the paid version of the NADA Guides. You can either buy one, or look in your local library. A dealer should have one, too, that they may be willing to let you look at.
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
Originally Posted by LindaH View Post
The NADA prices you can see online are retail prices...what you might expect to sell your RV for if you were selling it yourself.
I could be wrong, but my experience in the car business doesn't agree with this. Retail price is what a dealer could get for the used unit, selling yourself would be less than that.
2003 Alpine Coach 40MDTS - 400HP Cummins ISL
Can Am Spyder Roadster
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
I did buy the NADA guide for about $70. But it is now out of date and I may buy a new one. I used used the trade-in value to see what I think dealer kind of pay.

I used it to make sure the dealer would not rip me off too much. I figure my $70 investment got me an additional $1500 on my trade. I actually brought it out after their 1st two low ball offers. It did help a lot.

But I want a better number if there is one. I saw a black book mentioned. The number used in auctions. I have been to car auctions - no one bids too much over that low black book number.

I would swear that you can buy a new unit cheaper than a two year old unit. A new unit discounted at 30% is less than retail of a 2 year old unit...ugh. Seems dealers use the original MSRP and discount frim there. They should start with a much truer value of MRSP minus 30%.

tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote