Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2017, 07:19 AM   #1

Acuride wheels

I did a search but found most of the times on these wheel issues, threads take a turn and never really answer the questions or I get bored of reading all of them so......

This coach has them; what ever it is they put on them has failed and is bubbling up all over. The Aluminum is pitted under these areas fairly badly but still able to be polished out.

First what is that they put on these a clear coat of some kind?
How do most handle this? Strip and polish? Or just replace them?

If I do go the strip and polish what protectant works the longest?

Thanks

Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2017, 08:51 AM   #2

Acuride wheels

Most likely, you have the Accu Shield coated wheels which have pealed or discolored. I had my 4 wheels replaced under warranty but that is for the first 5 years only.

The Accu Ride web site will give detailed instructions on how the strip and polish the aluminum.

Good luck.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0839.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	459.9 KB
ID:	173765

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0838.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	173766

Old 08-21-2017, 09:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
Most likely, you have the Accu Shield coated wheels which have pealed or discolored. I had my 4 wheels replaced under warranty but that is for the first 5 years only.

The Accu Ride web site will give detailed instructions on how the strip and polish the aluminum.

Good luck.
Attachment 173765

Attachment 173766
That is exactly what mine are doing. I will check their web sight thank you.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #4

I can assure you that REPLACING them is far more costly than simply taking the other route. Most of the time, the coating that the factories put on those type of wheels is a Urethane based chemical. It's superior in hold-up strength. Although, as you've found out, that coating can fail. I personally have never liked the idea of coated wheels just because of that reason.
I don't mind taking some time and polishing mine. Besides, after the initial polish work is done, a "touch up" polish job takes oh, about 10-15 minutes per wheel and, it's done for oh, about 6 months to a year before needing it again. I haven't checked out Accurides web site for quite some time now but, there are paint-strippers that specifically formulated for ALUMINUM. Airplane folks use it all the time. There is no damage to the aluminum surface using that type of stipper.

Once the coating is all stripped off, it's time to go to work. Depending on just how bad the surface is when the process is started, will depend on what kind of polish/paste/rouge is needed and, whether or not a machine vs hand polishing is needed. I'd show pics of mine but, my website, PHOTOBUCKET has stopped all third party hosting of pics, unless you're a PAYING member. So, I'll have to find another host, maybe this forum. But, mine are like mirrors and, it's not been that hard to get them that way. And they stay like that for long periods of time. So, either do what Accuride says or, cruise on down to your local auto paint supplies center and pickup some aluminum safe stripper.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
I can assure you that REPLACING them is far more costly than simply taking the other route. Most of the time, the coating that the factories put on those type of wheels is a Urethane based chemical. It's superior in hold-up strength. Although, as you've found out, that coating can fail. I personally have never liked the idea of coated wheels just because of that reason.
I don't mind taking some time and polishing mine. Besides, after the initial polish work is done, a "touch up" polish job takes oh, about 10-15 minutes per wheel and, it's done for oh, about 6 months to a year before needing it again. I haven't checked out Accurides web site for quite some time now but, there are paint-strippers that specifically formulated for ALUMINUM. Airplane folks use it all the time. There is no damage to the aluminum surface using that type of stipper.

Once the coating is all stripped off, it's time to go to work. Depending on just how bad the surface is when the process is started, will depend on what kind of polish/paste/rouge is needed and, whether or not a machine vs hand polishing is needed. I'd show pics of mine but, my website, PHOTOBUCKET has stopped all third party hosting of pics, unless you're a PAYING member. So, I'll have to find another host, maybe this forum. But, mine are like mirrors and, it's not been that hard to get them that way. And they stay like that for long periods of time. So, either do what Accuride says or, cruise on down to your local auto paint supplies center and pickup some aluminum safe stripper.
Scott
Thanks for the reply lots of good info. My plan is definitely to go the route of getting these cleaned up but I have a few logistical issues that might over rule what I want to do. First I am not in the area I keep the coach at. And the right way would be to take them off (Most of the damage is around the lug nuts) which again is a logistical nightmare. If I am paying someone to take the wheels off the coach, then someone to clean them up and the shop to come back and reinstall them I am thinking I may not be far off from just getting new ones. If I had the coach here this would be a lot easier for sure.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasdaqsam View Post
Thanks for the reply lots of good info. My plan is definitely to go the route of getting these cleaned up but I have a few logistical issues that might over rule what I want to do. First I am not in the area I keep the coach at. And the right way would be to take them off (Most of the damage is around the lug nuts) which again is a logistical nightmare. If I am paying someone to take the wheels off the coach, then someone to clean them up and the shop to come back and reinstall them I am thinking I may not be far off from just getting new ones. If I had the coach here this would be a lot easier for sure.
Well Sir,
I can't help you with the cost factor. If done, that is if you have to pay for the entire removal/clean-up/re-install, well, the cost is going to be what it is, based on just what kind of costs/estimates you'll receive in that area. You've only got 4 to do since the inside duals are always steel, (at least that's the way it normally is). It also means doing something that's not normally accepted as a safe or, at the least, a detrimental mechanical practice. And that is, for some, to use the coach jacks to raise the coach 'till ALL the wheels are off the ground.

I've done it bunches of times. But, only in my LEVEL garage, and, for minimal periods of need. It's hard on the suspension components so, I don't do it unless the need is manditory.

Anyway, as you've found out, the potential for the coating to be infiltrated and, therefore start to deteriorate, is the PRIME reason I will never had a coated set of wheels. Some are lucky and have had their coach and, their coated wheels for years and have not had any issues. But, once it happens, then one has to make a decision to either leave it be, with the ugliness that follows or, do something about it, as in your thought process. It all depends on just what's important to you.
Scott
Old 08-22-2017, 11:28 AM   #7

Mine have the film and not a mark on them, nearly 10 years old. The wheels are close to $650 each, one of mine got scratched because of a tire blow out insurance replaced so I now have a spare wheel.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:42 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Keep an eye on Craigslist. A friend of mine who posts here occasionally, found a set of wheels in Oregon. He got them for about half price. They were so cheap he felt he could resell them.....and did. If you can find a set, polish them up, switch them out, polish yours up and resell.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Keep an eye on Craigslist. A friend of mine who posts here occasionally, found a set of wheels in Oregon. He got them for about half price. They were so cheap he felt he could resell them.....and did. If you can find a set, polish them up, switch them out, polish yours up and resell.
Now that's a great idea. Thanks
Old 08-22-2017, 06:35 PM   #10

I know my wheels are 22.5's but how would I know what the bolt pattern and width is? I am 1500 miles from the coach. Anyone?

I am seeing a lot of new polished 22.5's on ebay for the mid 200 range
Old 08-22-2017, 06:39 PM   #11

Acuride wheels

The part number will stamped on the wheel. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0842.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	174031
Old 08-22-2017, 06:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
The part number will stamped on the wheel. Attachment 174031
Unfortunately I'm 1500 miles from the rims.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasdaqsam View Post
Unfortunately I'm 1500 miles from the rims.

Since you state your coach is quite a distance from you presently,
I see in your sig, your coach is an '04 Beaver Ventura. I'm not all that familiar with those/that model. I'm presupposing it's a diesel pusher since, from what I recall, most Beavers are. If so, you more than likely have 22.5" wheels. As for the width, the majority of them are 8.25" but, not all. Probably the smartest thing for you to maybe do is, try and get onto a Beaver forum or, at the least, a chassis forum that is the same model etc. as yours. Then, try and find a similar make/model and ask that person to take a look at their wheels etc. to maybe get proper info.

What kind/size/width on ours may or may not be of equal dimensions to what's applicable to yours.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Since you state your coach is quite a distance from you presently,
I see in your sig, your coach is an '04 Beaver Ventura. I'm not all that familiar with those/that model. I'm presupposing it's a diesel pusher since, from what I recall, most Beavers are. If so, you more than likely have 22.5" wheels. As for the width, the majority of them are 8.25" but, not all. Probably the smartest thing for you to maybe do is, try and get onto a Beaver forum or, at the least, a chassis forum that is the same model etc. as yours. Then, try and find a similar make/model and ask that person to take a look at their wheels etc. to maybe get proper info.

What kind/size/width on ours may or may not be of equal dimensions to what's applicable to yours.
I will do that for sure. I was thinking of taking a trip down on some unrelated matters so might just do it then. This is not a real have to do not thing but I wanted to start looking into it as it is on the short list things to do. Thanks